War Room Lounge v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sickc0d3r

I just read through some of the comments of the video you suggested and many of the commenters (who apparently followed instructions correctly) are getting the same program crash as I am. Also interesting to note is that all of the various example C graphics programs that I have tried ( including the one your showed me) seem to build fine except for the warnings. But they always crash in the execution.

Also the guy in the video is using Win7. I am using Win10
Yeah, I noticed that. I'm sure that warning is an issue with the function doing something that is deprecated in c++ and there is nothing you can really do about it.
I'm at work and can't see the image in your previous post. What compiler are you using? I run windows 10 also, and my curiosity is piqued, so maybe I'll try to get it to work when I get home later and let you know what I did. That bgi is a DOS graphics programming interface, so it sounds like it is pretty old, lol.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm sure that warning is an issue with the function doing something that is deprecated in c++ and there is nothing you can really do about it.
I'm at work and can't see the image in your previous post. What compiler are you using? I run windows 10 also, and my curiosity is piqued, so maybe I'll try to get it to work when I get home later and let you know what I did. That bgi is a DOS graphics programming interface, so it sounds like it is pretty old, lol.

I'm leaning towards that its a Win10 issue. Compiler I am using is GCC or G++ in MinGW. It runs other C code fine.

Chris Rock at his best is as good as anyone.

Black people are 10% of the fuckin' population. Black people are New York, D.C., L.A., Chicago, Atlanta. Like 10 places. Okay? Ain't no black people in Minnesota! The only black people in Minnesota is Prince (RIP) and Kirby Puckett. Shit the whole rest of the country, the other 40 states is filled up with broke ass white people. Broke ass. Livin' in the trailer home. Eatin' mayonnaise sandwiches. Fuckin' they sister. Listening to John Cougar Mellencamp records!

Chris Rock at his best is as good as anyone.

Black people are 10% of the fuckin' population. Black people are New York, D.C., L.A., Chicago, Atlanta. Like 10 places. Okay? Ain't no black people in Minnesota! The only black people in Minnesota is Prince (RIP) and Kirby Puckett. Shit the whole rest of the country, the other 40 states is filled up with broke ass white people. Broke ass. Livin' in the trailer home. Eatin' mayonnaise sandwiches. Fuckin' they sister. Listening to John Cougar Mellencamp records!
Has that idiot ever been to Minneapolis and seen the Somalian immigrant population?

Has that idiot ever been to Minneapolis and seen the Somalian immigrant population?

lol. facts dont matter. Minnesota is white as fuck. Minneapolis is majority white. Only 18% black. I consider that low for an inner city.

Rochester NY is 40% black for example. Buffalo is similar.

This school shooter is ready to plead guilty if they take the death penalty off the table. Fuckin coward. For some reason I respect guys who are just like, "fuckin kill me".

@Trotsky Marx and Che had some of the best last words. Don't know if they are true but I always liked them. I showed somebody Che's last words and she said it sounded humble. It is. You are only killing a man. Happens everyday. Get on with it.

quote-i-know-you-are-here-to-kill-me-shoot-coward-you-are-only-going-to-kill-a-man-che-guevara-76613.jpg

quote-go-on-get-out-last-words-are-for-fools-who-haven-t-said-enough-to-his-housekeeper-who-karl-marx-89-15-69.jpg

This school shooter is ready to plead guilty if they take the death penalty off the table. Fuckin coward. For some reason I respect guys who are just like, "fuckin kill me".

@Trotsky Marx and Che had some of the best last words. Don't know if they are true but I always liked them. I showed somebody Che's last words and she said it sounded humble. It is. You are only killing a man. Happens everyday. Get on with it.

quote-i-know-you-are-here-to-kill-me-shoot-coward-you-are-only-going-to-kill-a-man-che-guevara-76613.jpg

quote-go-on-get-out-last-words-are-for-fools-who-haven-t-said-enough-to-his-housekeeper-who-karl-marx-89-15-69.jpg

“I did not get my Spaghetti-O’s; I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.”

Thomas J. Grasso before his execution

Yes, Che is a saint and true man of principle. Like Lenin (a far less pure and less admirable man), it is truly sad that the propagandizing of his legacy so starkly betrayed what he stood for.

I was just thinking recently about the great last words of some person that I respected, but I cannot recall who it was. I'll check back with that.

And that's the end of that chapter. Even Sam Harris came out against Krauss. Saying what he heard from people he trusts makes him want to walk away from the whole business. lol.

1. He claims to have heard from other sources who have assured him that these types of stories are true, so he claims he “can offer no defense of Lawrence here.”
  1. He thinks Krauss needs to offer an apology, as he claims to “know enough to want to step away from this whole business.” Whoa.
https://shadowtolight.wordpress.com...-speaks-about-lawrence-krauss-on-his-podcast/

Yes, Che is a saint and true man of principle. Like Lenin (a far less pure and less admirable man), it is truly sad that the propagandizing of his legacy so starkly betrayed what he stood for.

I was just thinking recently about the great last words of some person that I respected, but I cannot recall who it was. I'll check back with that.

I like last words and epitaphs. Marx has a great epitaph too which was basically his motto. Philosophers merely interpret the world but the point is to change it. Malcolm X said something similar about philosophers. He read people like Kant and Nietzsche in prison. He said these guys have some good thoughts but they never do anything. Malcolm was a man of action. So were Marx and Che. I like people like that. Even somebody like Madonna. She is a woman of action. She takes on the world.

@sickc0d3r

I uninstalled my whole Code Blocks and MinGW setup and reinstalled. Last time I installed Code Blocks I forgot to include MinGW in the setup so I had to install MinGW separately and the instructions I used might have included something that was not standard, some conflicting crap or other.

Anyway I reinstalled Code Blocks this time choosing 'codeblocks-17.12mingw-setup.exe' rather than just 'codeblocks-17.12-setup.exe' so I didn't have to install MinGW separately.

The instructions for getting Code Blocks to run C graphics (as you already noted) are simply:
--add 'graphics.h' and 'winbgim.h' to 'include' folder in MinGW
--add 'libbgi.a' to 'lib' folder in MinGW
--link 'libbgi.a' in Code Blocks Linker
--add these entries to "other linker options": bgi -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -luuid -loleaut32 -lole32

Here is a vid I made of me running a bouncing ball I got from some random C graphics website

[[EDIT]] I almost forgot my original intent. I wanted to try to understand the basic C code for the movement of something like the ball. But what I will probably do is just learn C++ a little bit longer then start messing with some basic C++ graphics, then maybe come back to C to try to understand what guys like Carmack were doing in the 90s. Mainly just for the fun of it. That is just a fascinating time in computer history.

Last edited:
@sickc0d3r

here is something you might know the reason behind (I don't yet)

when I run this the first COUT gives same number each time (3). Now, all successive COUT lines give different random #s when rerunning. Even if I delete the first COUT line I get the same result.

And even when I use: uniform_real_distribution<float> it is the same result. The first print output always begins with .45 . The rest of the COUTs appear to be random but the first float output between 0.0 and 1.0 always begins with 0.45 _ _ _ _ _ etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <random>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
default_random_engine randomGenerator(time(0));
uniform_int_distribution<int> diceRoll(1,6);

cout << "I am rolling a " << diceRoll(randomGenerator) << endl;
// Always prints out '3'
cout << "I am rolling a " << diceRoll(randomGenerator) << endl; // This one on down prints different random #s each time so they work properly.

return 0;
}

----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Do you have another device you can try? What anti-virus are you using? I'd check the browser scanning options (in your antivirus) and also try using another DNS.

By the way I got the C graphics to work in Code Blocks, just uninstalled CBs and MinGW and reinstalled but this time using Code Blocks setup including MinGW. Last time I installed a MinGW independent of Codeblocks. Now everything works.

About the twitter images block. Here is a screenshot of an error message I am getting when I try to view the image in a separate window. Notice the line: Subject: *cloudfront.net. I looked up cloudfront and found this regarding it. Do you make anything of this? Remember 'pbs.twimg.com' is Twitter's in-house image hosting site.

"Cloudfront.net is a legitimate and safe content delivery network owned by Amazon, however cyber criminals are abusing this CDN to deliver malicious content.
This CloudFront.net redirect is usually caused by adware installed on your computer. These adware programs are bundled with other free software that you download off of the Internet. Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed adware without your knowledge.
"

Anyway here is the error message:

4TlHDpU.jpg

By the way I got the C graphics to work in Code Blocks, just uninstalled CBs and MinGW and reinstalled but this time using Code Blocks setup including MinGW. Last time I installed a MinGW independent of Codeblocks. Now everything works.

About the twitter images block. Here is a screenshot of an error message I am getting when I try to view the image in a separate window. Notice the line: Subject: *cloudfront.net. I looked up cloudfront and found this regarding it. Do you make anything of this? Remember 'pbs.twimg.com' is Twitter's in-house image hosting site.

"Cloudfront.net is a legitimate and safe content delivery network owned by Amazon, however cyber criminals are abusing this CDN to deliver malicious content.
This CloudFront.net redirect is usually caused by adware installed on your computer. These adware programs are bundled with other free software that you download off of the Internet. Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed adware without your knowledge.
"

Anyway here is the error message:

4TlHDpU.jpg

Glad you got it working. I've no experience with Code Blocks, I always use Visual Studio and Eclipse.
Not sure what would be giving you SSL errors with Twitter images in chrome if you've cleared the cache and dns and you've no anti-virus or add-ons loaded that might effect it.

@sickc0d3r

when I run this the first COUT gives same number each time (3). Now, all successive COUT lines give different random #s when rerunning. Even if I delete the first COUT line I get the same result.

And even when I use: uniform_real_distribution<float> it is the same result. The first print output always begins with .45 . The rest of the COUTs appear to be random but the first float output between 0.0 and 1.0 always begins with 0.45 _ _ _ _ _ etc.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <random>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

int main()
{

// Always prints out '3'
cout << "I am rolling a " << diceRoll(randomGenerator) << endl; // This one on down prints different random #s each time so they work properly.

return 0;
}

Try turning it off and turning it back on again.

But what about the mention of 'cloudfront' in the error message. Why would that show up there?

Yeah, if the SSL error always comes up mentioning cloudfront and they aren't all actually cloudfront hosted images, you've checked add-ins, DNS and antivirus, I'm not sure. If you're worried it could still be malware despite a clean scan with malwarebytes, I'd give HitmanPro and then Combofix a go.
Combofix often breaks things though.

@sickc0d3r

I uninstalled my whole Code Blocks and MinGW setup and reinstalled. Last time I installed Code Blocks I forgot to include MinGW in the setup so I had to install MinGW separately and the instructions I used might have included something that was not standard, some conflicting crap or other.

Anyway I reinstalled Code Blocks this time choosing 'codeblocks-17.12mingw-setup.exe' rather than just 'codeblocks-17.12-setup.exe' so I didn't have to install MinGW separately.

The instructions for getting Code Blocks to run C graphics (as you already noted) are simply:
--add 'graphics.h' and 'winbgim.h' to 'include' folder in MinGW
--add 'libbgi.a' to 'lib' folder in MinGW
--link 'libbgi.a' in Code Blocks Linker
--add these entries to "other linker options": bgi -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -luuid -loleaut32 -lole32

Here is a vid I made of me running a bouncing ball I got from some random C graphics website

[[EDIT]] I almost forgot my original intent. I wanted to try to understand the basic C code for the movement of something like the ball. But what I will probably do is just learn C++ a little bit longer then start messing with some basic C++ graphics, then maybe come back to C to try to understand what guys like Carmack were doing in the 90s. Mainly just for the fun of it. That is just a fascinating time in computer history.

Nicely done. Yeah, I had problems with the borland compiler using winbgim. Compiles fine but crashes when I run it. I'm guessing the turboc compiler would work without issues.

If you really want to work with graphics while learning c++ I'd suggest you grab something like cinder or sfml. Plenty of documentation and they are from this century :) so they run on opengl.

@sickc0d3r

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <random>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

int main()
{

// Always prints out '3'

return 0;
}

That "random generator" kind of sucks and this is a known issue. I think you can use a better seed than time() to get around it, like this example I found:
#include<chrono>

unsigned seed1 = std::chrono::system_clock::now().time_since_epoch().count();

default_random_engine gen(seed1);

If you really want to work with graphics while learning c++ I'd suggest you grab something like cinder or sfml. Plenty of documentation and they are from this century :) so they run on opengl.

I really want to. I had to quit a job for leg and back reasons and right now I am taking care of an elderly person but I have a lot of extra time on my hands. And I really do want to get into C++ graphics. As a bonus who knows I may be able to land some employment if I stay focused on this. I am also learning Python. I am limiting myself to those two languages so I can actually cover some ground rather than spending too much time trying different languages.

I'll go with the SFML for right now.

I have actually learned a considerable amount of C++ over the last few months. And I am ready to start playing with it. My math level is up through about half a course in Differential Equations. I worked in security for 20 years before quitting that and while on night shifts taught myself Calc 1,2, and 3 and DE plus some Statics and Dynamics from Hibbeler text. I'm not sure that that would ever be necessary for what I hope to achieve in C++ (or Python) but it couldn't hurt. I have actually messed with some MATLAB and Matplotlib stuff too. But again I totally want to stay as focused as possible on C++ at least for the next 10 to 15 months and try to carve out some realistic niche of competency in it. I'm not worried about my age (48) although I could understand how others might. I always wanted to learn C++. Now I am doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back