War Room Lounge V24: Mental Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol nah, I originally had him at #9 and edited him up to #7 after re-Wikipediaing him

Again, look up "subjective."

I'm well aware of what it means, Jackie. You apparently believe your subjective opinion on which MMA fighter is best, is an objective fact, which is where the disconnect is.

It is also a sign of narcissism and general insanity.

I'm well aware of what it means, Jackie. You apparently believe your subjective opinion on which MMA fighter is best, is an objective fact, which is where the disconnect is.

It is also a sign of narcissism and general insanity.

You didn't look it up.

Rank these HW's on an All time list:

Cain
Nog
Stipe
DC
Mir
Barnett
Cro Cop
JDS
Sylvia
Arlovski

DC
Nog
CroCop
Cain
Stipe
JDS
Barnett
Mir
Arlovski
Sylvia

Enlighten me, big boy.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subjective

To illustrate where you're going wrong, look at this:

2689e4c07fffd7d517f97727d6c9395e.jpg

How many marbles in the jar? I don't know, you don't know, but the answer is not in any way subjective. Further, there are bad guesses and better guesses. And some egregiously bad guesses.

"Based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions"

So where am I going wrong with my usage here, Jackie? You do realize that it is merely your opinion that Frank Mir is not as high as some rank him, and not a fact, right? You do know that you can't actually disprove such a thing, correct?

Depends how you define "best," but there is broad agreement on the answer to that. No one thinks you mean "best-looking" or "most entertaining." The matter being discussed is not, therefore, subjective. We're not talking about the impact he has on you as a person. Saying Mir (or Sylvia) is the second-best fighter on the list (or worse--the second-best on a broader list) is like guessing that there are six marbles or 100 billion in the jar I posted.

Depends how you define "best," but there is broad agreement on the answer to that. No one thinks you mean "best-looking" or "most entertaining." The matter being discussed is not, therefore, subjective. We're not talking about the impact he has on you as a person.

Quit babbling.

Your opinion on Frank Mir's status as an MMA fighter is subjective.

Quit babbling.

Your opinion on Frank Mir's status as an MMA fighter is subjective.

I'm not babbling, and you just saw the definition. Don't be pig-headed. Learn from your mistake. And if you're still not understanding, ask, preferably in an appropriate tone.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subjective

To illustrate where you're going wrong, look at this:

2689e4c07fffd7d517f97727d6c9395e.jpg

How many marbles in the jar? I don't know, you don't know, but the answer is not in any way subjective.

Yes, because there is an exact number of marbles in the jar. There is a definite answer to the question.

This is not the case when discussing fighters on an GOAT list. There is no definite answer.

I feel like I'm talking to a five year old.

How is Cain a better HW than DC or Nog?
He's 13-2 and 5 of those fights were JDS or Bigfoot Silva.

DC
Stipe
Nog
Cain
CroCop
Barnett
Sylvia
AA
Mir

Yes, because there is an exact number of marbles in the jar. There is a definite answer to the question.

This is not the case when discussing fighters on an GOAT list. There is no definite answer.

I feel like I'm talking to a five year old.

Correct on the jar. There's a little more fuzziness around "best," but only a little. It's certainly not subjective for any given definition unless the definition has subjective criteria, which no reasonable one would.

How is Cain a better HW than DC or Nog?
He's 13-2 and 5 of those fights were JDS or Bigfoot Silva.

DC
Stipe
Nog
Cain
CroCop
Barnett
Sylvia
AA
Mir

Gotta double check, but I believe Cain has a better peak Elo score than Nog, and better at HW than DC. His in-fight stats are more impressive than either, but qualitative assessments by me and others are doing some work in the rating. That's one reason I think reasonable people can disagree on those (I don't think putting Mir or Sylvia second on that list--much less one that includes Fedor and Werdum, among others--is defensible, though).

Gotta double check, but I believe Cain has a better peak Elo score than Nog, and better at HW than DC. His in-fight stats are more impressive than either, but qualitative assessments by me and others are doing some work in the rating. That's one reason I think reasonable people can disagree on those (I don't think putting Mir or Sylvia second on that list--much less one that includes Fedor and Werdum, among others--is defensible, though).
Can't imagine Cain's being higher than DC's after beating Stipe, who would've been Cain's biggest win.
Maybe DC should spam W's against Bigfoot and Lewis :D

Can't imagine Cain's being higher than DC's after beating Stipe, who would've been Cain's biggest win.
Maybe DC should spam W's against Bigfoot and Lewis :D

I'd think that JDS would be a bigger win than Stipe. I don't really see the issue here. What odds would you give DC against prime Cain? My view is that they're about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back