WAR ROOM LOUNGE V21: ♫♪ Tom Lehrer Awareness Week ♪♫

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently she said she was Native on both sides though right? From different tribes? At that point I could see her somewhat reasonably embracing that as part of her identity, especially if she was raised by parents who did. Her mom claims to have been discriminated against because of her Native ancestry, growing up around stories like that could reasonably impart identification with that identity.

In Brazil they have a more fluid understanding of race where people are more willing to admit mixed ancestry but in the US we tend to definitely pick one or other race so I can understand why she might've been led to embrace a Native identity.

On both sides? Of the family? Meaning she claimed more than one distant relative? I took the different tribes to mean her single relative was (supposedly) a mutt between Cherokee and Delaware.

This ain't Brazil. Trying to embrace one small aspect of one's purported roots isn't the same as being of said root's heritage. Is it?

EDIT: PS. Looks like you sidestepped a straight answer. :(

I am dropping my support for the border wall. And if the Dems weren't completely out of their minds I'd probably sit out 2020.

You could move half this thread back to the Elizabeth Warren thread.

These threads originally were for off topic conversations occurring too frequently in normal threads. Now we have gone 180 with on topic frequently occurring in here.

Lol Trotsky bringing the Cint.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Please explain the "conclusive evidence." There is nothing conclusive about considering two obscure statistical metrics and discounting much more widely accepted professional metrics. Your post would also seem to be extremely condescending and willfully ignorant in its own right.
Wasn't implying the stats are conclusive, I was responding to that way of thinking.

Hey dood, are you planning on doing any kind of prediction thing for the midterms like you did for the general in '16?
Hadn't thought about it. Good idea. Pm me this weekend as a reminder.

Whoa, either general management in MLB is light years better than it is in the NFL, or you're hugely overestimating the objectivity, sophistication, and overall competence of front offices. Every year, millions of dollars and years of franchise opportunity are spent on the basis of illusory considerations and against the weight of statistical analysis.

Or you're underestimating front offices. When I was a kid, I remember front offices regularly making moves that even I knew were stupid. When the Royals way overpaid for Storm Davis following the 1989 season when he went 19-7 despite being a well below-average starter by even the best metrics available at the time, their GM responded to criticism by saying something like, "we're not after ERA, we're after wins." That's like something Nostradumbass would say. When the A's started really going hardcore with scientific decision making in the late '90s and early Aughts, there was a lot of criticism. But today, it's just normal, and it's actually advanced a lot.

Even when you see an apparent bad decision, there's often stuff going on that you might not be considering. I remember a GM discussing a long-term contract given to an older player and saying (again paraphrasing from memory), "obviously from an analytics standpoint, we know that players tend to decline at this point, but we don't get our needs met now if we don't offer a long-term contract--the likelihood of a decline is just part of the landscape." I think the combination of an explosion in information and market pressure has changed things much more than people realize. Especially since these days teams don't just consume advanced metrics, they develop them and keep them secret (look at what the Astros have been doing with spin rates or the Indians with launch angles).

But, even more than that, I would certainly insist that in basketball and football clutchness is absolutely a consideration, whether outright or just due to the fact that it correlates with previous success and with popularity with fans.

I think you're wrong there.

I've both never denied that and have incorporated that stipulation all along the way. It's hard to proceed when your substitute inaccurate characterizations for focusing on actual debate. I'm once again acknowledging it. Somehow I doubt that stops you from refusing to find common ground and obfuscating.

If you acknowledge the point, then no argument remains, and your outrage is not appropriate.

I'm assuming the multitude of his peers that have come out saying he's the most revered of his generation have taken stats into account.

Right. People look at crude measures like points. Plus he has some great highlights. And, again, it's not that he wasn't a legitimately great player. I'm just saying that as our understanding of the game has improved, his status has taken a bit of a hit. Still great, but not close to the best player of Trotsky's adult life.

@Jack V Savage Also, here's a baseball reference for you. The only baseball players that I ever saw that I would consider clutch is David Eckstein. That dude had ice in his veins.

Dude, no. I think clutchness is even more clearly false in baseball. I think "little white guy who doesn't put up big numbers but we like him anyway and there must be a reason" describes Eckstein better than "clutch."

Apparently she said she was Native on both sides though right? From different tribes? At that point I could see her somewhat reasonably embracing that as part of her identity, especially if she was raised by parents who did. Her mom claims to have been discriminated against because of her Native ancestry, growing up around stories like that could reasonably impart identification with that identity.

In Brazil they have a more fluid understanding of race where people are more willing to admit mixed ancestry but in the US we tend to definitely pick one or other race so I can understand why she might've been led to embrace a Native identity.
Based on the genetic test if she's Native then I'm one of Ragnar's sons.

On both sides? Of the family? Meaning she claimed more than one distant relative? I took the different tribes to mean her single relative was (supposedly) a mutt between Cherokee and Delaware.
Herself, her brother, and her cousin have all said they were told her granny was "part" Cherokee and her grandad was "part" Delaware, both on her mother's side. Listing herself as Native American at the time based on those credentials, just for interpersonal reasons, seems ok to me. But, to your point, after the dna test it is not ok, it was a mistake. All the test really supports is the idea that her mistake was an honest one. I wish she'd just say "I'm still proud of my heritage, but knowing what I know now I wouldn't have checked that box in my profile", and be done with it.

Clutchness is like luck. It doesn't exist but it does. It is not some force. It is just something bestowed on people who seem to perform better than average when under pressure. Ted Williams taking his last at bats even though he could have retired at above 400 he took the at bats anyway and went even higher. That is clutch.

Sonnen is like the least clutch guy ever.

Clutchness is like luck. It doesn't exist but it does. It is not some force. It is just something bestowed on people who seem to perform better than average when under pressure. Ted Williams taking his last at bats even though he could have retired at above 400 he took the at bats anyway and went even higher. That is clutch.

The issue is that "seems to perform better than average..." is an illusion. Ted Williams may be the greatest hitter who ever lived. That was true in the third inning of a 10-0 game just as much as it was true in the ninth inning of a 0-0 game. There's no evidence that any major league players have a consistent ability (or inability) to outperform in conditions where the importance of success is more evident.

Ugh.... I hate having to hear cases that should be special set for an hour long hearing on a calendar where motions should take at most 10 minutes.

The issue is that "seems to perform better than average..." is an illusion. Ted Williams may be the greatest hitter who ever lived. That was true in the third inning of a 10-0 game just as much as it was true in the ninth inning of a 0-0 game. There's no evidence that any major league players have a consistent ability (or inability) to outperform in conditions where the importance of success is more evident.

Ok, but that is something a legend like Williams would do. He risked it when he didn't have to. Which shows he is more comfortable and believes in himself. Which he should. Kind of a chicken or egg thing.

I am terrible under pressure personally. It clearly detracts from my performance in anything I do. A lot of people are fine or like it. I wouldn't call it clutch but a psychological disposition.

Some earlier in the thread said she claimed one relative from each on either side.
This ain't Brazil. Trying to embrace one small aspect of one's purported roots isn't the same as being of said root's heritage. Is it?
Uh, exactly this isn't Brazil where they are more willing to embrace a mixed identity. In America you're often one race or another, don't know how you misunderstood that point. Here she'd feel like she has to pick one and she embraced a Native American identity based on having at least one Native relative and being raised by family members that identified that way.
EDIT: PS. Looks like you sidestepped a straight answer. :(
I did give you an answer, it just went over your head but I'll spoon feed it for you now

I agree that she can reasonably claim minority status based on having a Native American ancestor and being raised by family members that identified as being Native American while being ignorant of her genetic make up which doesn't seem to show much Native blood.
Based on the genetic test if she's Native then I'm one of Ragnar's sons.
Right but I'm not talking about it based on her genetic test which she only had done recently.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but that is something a legend like Williams would do. He risked it when he didn't have to. Which shows he is more comfortable and believes in himself. Which he should. Kind of a chicken or egg thing.

I am terrible under pressure personally. It clearly detracts from my performance in anything I do. A lot of people are fine or like it. I wouldn't call it clutch but a psychological disposition.

I don't think it was as much about believing in himself as just thinking it would be cheating to sit out. Though, yeah, he was legendary for how much he believed in himself.

And my guess is that people who struggle under pressure don't make it to the majors in the first place. Or you get inured to it with constant experiences of it.

One example is a few years ago, there was a dying cat in the middle of the street. There are women around and they think because I am a man it is my job to deal with it. They are like pick it up and put it in a box or something. I couldn't even stand to look at it, much less pick it up. I was the only male around so they thought it was my job. I felt like saying, "I'm not your average guy, ladies." I was flustered more than them. Finally a male neighbor came and scraped it off the road like it was nothing. My father would do it no problem as well. I couldn't.

I don't think it was as much about believing in himself as just thinking it would be cheating to sit out. Though, yeah, he was legendary for how much he believed in himself.

And my guess is that people who struggle under pressure don't make it to the majors in the first place. Or you get inured to it with constant experiences of it.

Good point. If failure discourages you, you probably won't make it big in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back