War Room Lounge V20: Halloween Awareness: Dispatches Blast Yo Ass from a Pumpkin Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randomly, I remember not hating the made-for-television adaptation of Night Flier. But that was probably mostly because I like that actor. Miguel Ferrar, I think.
I never saw that, but it looks like its on YT (monster looks super creepy).

43663917_10212019275776493_3138163424425410560_o.jpg

43788003_10212019275376483_1282290884544561152_o.jpg

Picked up some furniture today. How's the living room looking to you dudes?

43663917_10212019275776493_3138163424425410560_o.jpg

43788003_10212019275376483_1282290884544561152_o.jpg

Picked up some furniture today. How's the living room looking to you dudes?

I live in a closet compared to that. Can't wait til I have a bigger place again.

A few of things:
1. I'd move the tv from the corner to that wall opposite the windows.
2. Then hang up all those pictures and invest in some lamps. Accent lighting is more flattering than the big lights.
2. You need something to tie it all together - but don't worry about that now, its off to a good start.

One of the reasons King's books don't materialize on film is because of the depth and subtlety of his characters. Like Shawshank and Stand By Me, movies like It require a voice over to fill in the blanks and even then there are too many blanks.
Exactly. King fleshes out each and every character and it's nearly impossible to translate on screen. Couple that with the supernatural stuff and it can be a complete mess.

I'd say Misery and Green Mile are the best adaptions without narration. But Misery has only two characters, and Green Mile does have a lot of story detail embedded in the dialogue.

Pretentious film geek post incoming.

I would think you would be turned off by King's material for the same reasons that I am, given your interest in history. King's stories all seem centered around external forces: aliens, monsters, vampires, etc. I need a story grounded in humanity: human choices and human consequences. A good analogy, I think, is Game of Thrones. I loved the first four seasons of GOT because, although there were fantasy elements, it was a strong allegory for human history and exploration of the human condition. It had strong internal logic: decisions of morality and strategy between players, with character flaws dooming certain participants in the rat race. As the story progressed past the books, it basically became a fantasy action series, and the most recent season was, I thought, just fucking stupid.

The best films that involve the supernatural are, imo, those that draw upon religion (like The Exorcist), since the formation of religion was, in itself, kind of allegorical for human history, reflective of the human condition, and paramount to the development of human civilization.

I never saw that, but it looks like its on YT (monster looks super creepy).

Yeah, it had a subplot about professional ambition and isolation (the main character is a pretentious investigative journalist who is accompanied by a fan of his work and aspiring young female investigative journalist) that I remember liking.

Exactly. King fleshes out each and every character and it's nearly impossible to translate on screen. Couple that with the supernatural stuff and it can be a complete mess.

I'd say Misery and Green Mile are the best adaptions without narration. But Misery has only two characters, and Green Mile does have a lot of story detail embedded in the dialogue.

tumblr_lfxne1gqwJ1qav29fo1_r1_500.gif

hmmm.

Is that a giant fly swatter on the wall, or a pizza peel?

Yeah you can't see it but I have a other peel on the opposite side of the window. It's basically my coat of arms at this point.

I live in a closet compared to that. Can't wait til I have a bigger place again.
There's also two bedrooms. I'm going to turn the sun room into a writing area. I'm thinking a lot of plants, a roll top desk, those oriental rugs. That kind of thing.

I was going to just set up the bedrooms completely different. One with cool lights and shit, some speakers, I don't know
a e s t h e t i c. Or some shit.

But then I realized that's what people with split personalities do.

A few of things:
1. I'd move the tv from the corner to that wall opposite the windows.
2. Then hang up all those pictures and invest in some lamps. Accent lighting is more flattering than the big lights.
2. You need something to tie it all together - but don't worry about that now, its off to a good start.
Yeah lighting is the next purchase. I'm trying to figure out smart home stuff.

I wouldn't mind a speaker in every room hooked up to alexa and the smartbulbs that work. So I can be all "alexa play chuck mangione feel so good" and soften the lighting if I ever do blow again.
Good enough! Maybe adjust the lighting to suit that color scheme though.

Lol "good enough" will go on my headstone.

Lol "good enough" will go on my headstone.

See. I'm already writing jokes for you. You've got my PM when you wanna talk business.

<28>

As a big fan of Night Shift, it pained me to see such a great AC/DC song going to waste. :(

Speaking of wast, while not a good film overall, at least Woods picked a great story to try to bring to life.

That chair looks comfy as shit.

They both are. Gray sofa, green sofa, and ottoman cost me about $220 for all. The girl working dgaf about her job clearly and just gave me 40% off.

Pretty bourgeois for a starving aspiring comedian.

You selling that butt hole on the side, my man?
I'm not aspiring anymore broseph. Those years starving paid off and now I'm chubby lol.

I always aimed to be a kind of trash king version of Jay Gataby.

Going to throw a party once everything is together. Going to make a bunch of crawfish tamales, make some pizzas, roll a bunch of little spliffs and have good whiskey and shit. Get that lo fi jazz playing and all that.

Pretentious film geek post incoming.

I would think you would be turned off by King's material for the same reasons that I am, given your interest in history. King's stories all seem centered around external forces: aliens, monsters, vampires, etc. I need a story grounded in humanity: human choices and human consequences. A good analogy, I think, is Game of Thrones. I loved the first four seasons of GOT because, although there were fantasy elements, it was a strong allegory for human history and exploration of the human condition. It had strong internal logic: decisions of morality and strategy between players, with character flaws dooming certain participants in the rat race. As the story progressed past the books, it basically became a fantasy action series, and the most recent season was, I thought, just fucking stupid.

The best films that involve the supernatural are, imo, those that draw upon religion (like The Exorcist), since the formation of religion was, in itself, kind of allegorical for human history, reflective of the human condition, and paramount to the development of human civilization.

Eh, I think you're misjudging the man. And it's a common misjudgment imo. His most famous material deals ostensibly with the supernatural (monster stories), but when taken against the full bulk of his work- which is 58 novels and hundreds of short stories- you find that a lot of it is simply human drama of some sort. Even with "external forces", he still often comes back to issues as simple as how tough it is to be a kid, or a husband, or whatever. In my experience as a mega fan (i've read and watched virtually everything he has ever created or had a hand in creating), i'd say most people are familiar with the big name books like It, The Shining, The Stand, Carrie, And some others. But it's a small representation of his total body of work. Quite frankly, there's all sorts of shit in there, both crazy and mundane. The dude is prolific. I've always enjoyed his work because he articulates things about the human experience that are hard to put into words. My two favorite short stories, "All That You Love Will Be Carried Away" and "Cain Rose Up" (my all time favorite) are both great examples of this imo. I always recommend his short works to people that haven't read much instead of telling them to dive into a huge 900 page novel he wrote during a coke binge in 1987. They tend to contain a decent mix of pure horror, science fiction, weird stuff you can't quite place, drama, whatever. And mixtures of everything. He has a story called "The Moving Finger" that I always tell people to read. The name sounds gross and seems like it would be a bad choice to name anything, but it's entirely appropriate.

As for translating his work into film, well, I think part of the trap there is trying to fit the vivid- sometimes overly detailed- descriptions of what is often very weird shit just... doesn't fly. With the novels, this is even harder because some of them are gigantic. The unabridged version of The Stand is monstrous. It's like there's some sort of siren song luring film makers onto the rocks of failure; the shit is just too weird, too dense, too vivid, or all of the above.

I never really cared for the Halloween movies, though I only saw the first two. Or maybe just the first one twice. I heard they are remaking Pet Sematary. I'm conflicted, because the first scared me badly.

I loved the halloween movies. Except that fucking abomination Halloween 3: Season of the Witch.

I loved the halloween movies. Except that fucking abomination Halloween 3: Season of the Witch.
I'm surprised its so popular among the cult followers of the franchise; its a super crappy move - aside from when the fat kid dies.

But I love the zombie remakes and apparently people hate those, so who am I to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back