WAR ROOM LOUNGE V17: The Stuff Under Your You-Know-What

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been way too many superhero movies though. My God.

but in this case they took a real person and made him totally different when you could have just invented a character wholesale at that point.
Speaking of inventing a character, what are your thoughts on Manitou?

That's wild. I imagine the wildlife has to be pretty cool too.

Makes me want to visit despite knowing jack shit about the country/area.

Indonesia has more diverse wildlife since the largest Indonesian Islands like Sumatra,Borneo and Java is considerably among the largest land mass in the Malay Archipelago compared to the Philippine Islands.

They have apes,Tigers and Komodo dragon.

152558-004-A7C184A8.jpg

There have been way too many superhero movies though. My God.

There is never enough Nexus though Mr. Fawlty. That's all that matters....

Something I never understood with Avengers 3:
Thanos is made out to be a villain just trying to do something awful for "the greater good" by decreasing the universes population. If the infinity gems pretty much make you all powerful, why wouldn't he just make resources more abundant or something where the current amount of life could survive. For example, he was upset his home world was destroyed this way. Does he not have the power to save it with the gauntlet? Also, if he really wanted a more permanent way of making people cease to exist, could he do it reatroactively so there is no memory of these people and the Avengers still realize what happened to try to fix things?

Thanos is made out to be a villain just trying to do something awful for "the greater good" by decreasing the universes population. If the infinity gems pretty much make you all powerful, why wouldn't he just make resources more abundant or something where the current amount of life could survive. For example, he was upset his home world was destroyed this way. Does he not have the power to save it with the gauntlet? Also, if he really wanted a more permanent way of making people cease to exist, could he do it reatroactively so there is no memory of these people and the Avengers still realize what happened to try to fix things?
Part of his weakness is limited imagination. He's a brilliant scientist, tactician, etc., but also so arrogant and full of certainty that options other than what he deems best are simply not entertained. He has massive hubris..... just like Stark.

There's also the issue that using the stones all together requires such enormous power that he can't really experiment with them or play around using them in concert. The only time he uses all the stones at once fries the gauntlet, which I think is a pretty crucial detail that gets buried a bit. Through the whole MCU, emphasis is placed on the stones being difficult to use; the power stone kills things too weak to even touch it, the mind stone was channeled through a scepter, the tesseract needed hordes of experimentation to come up with even limited uses by human technology, the time stone needed complicated spells and a lot of effort to manipulate.

They got that rat monkey there. :eek:

giphy.gif

Now that's an awesome movie.
Pity he didn't do a lot more of the genre.

As for other directors I'd really like to see more of...
Blomkamp needs to expand his Oats Studios teasers into full movies (not so much Bad President, but his scifi).
Real shame the crowdfunding didn't work out.

Indonesia has more diverse wildlife since the largest Indonesian Islands like Sumatra,Borneo and Java is considerably among the largest land mass in the Malay Archipelago compared to the Philippine Islands.

152558-004-A7C184A8.jpg

That's it. Pack your bags. Get your sunscreen and bug repellent. We're going to Indonesia.

Part of his weakness is limited imagination. He's a brilliant scientist, tactician, etc., but also so arrogant and full of certainty that options other than what he deems best are simply not entertained. He has massive hubris..... just like Stark.

There's also the issue that using the stones all together requires such enormous power that he can't really experiment with them or play around using them in concert. The only time he uses all the stones at once fries the gauntlet, which I think is a pretty crucial detail that gets buried a bit. Through the whole MCU, emphasis is placed on the stones being difficult to use; the power stone kills things too weak to even touch it, the mind stone was channeled through a scepter, the tesseract needed hordes of experimentation to come up with even limited uses by human technology, the time stone needed complicated spells and a lot of effort to manipulate.
They haven’t touched on it in the films either but he’s always trying to impress Death and she keeps FriendZoning him the way Dany does to Jorah in GoT in favor of Deadpool.

That’s why he usually ends up at the “kill them all” conclusion.

Its capeshit, don't overthink it.

152558-004-A7C184A8.jpg
The Komodo Dragon is related to an extinct lizard known as the Megalania which went extinct about 50,000 years ago. It lived in Australia and its thought that the first aboriginals to Australia might not only have lived alongside them but might've also contributed to their extinction
1200px-Extant_Monitor_lizards-Megalania_SIZE.png

Imagine having to fight something like that with a spear.

They haven’t touched on it in the films either but he’s always trying to impress Death and she keeps FriendZoning him the way Dany does to Jorah in GoT in favor of Deadpool.

That’s why he usually ends up at the “kill them all” conclusion.
I remember someone telling me about that. I liked that they changed his backstory. Thanos being some twisted Malthusian extremist is more interesting than him being some fucking incel trying to impress a girl.

What they changed from the movie is the relationship between Thanos and Death itself. It is an actual abstract entity represented as a female Grim Reaper. She flirts with Thanos because she knows he loves her, Thanos is willing to do anything for mistress death. However she is constantly insatiable for more death, and no matter how much havoc he causes she is never pleased, which would lead him to achieve the one thing that has the power to purge the universe. He does not care about saving lives, he cares about wanting to be with Death forever, he craves to die himself as no challenge or foe is his equal, he does not care for his mortality, making him a complete nihilist. So he yearns to find a greater threat that can cause the most destruction and potentially lead to his finality.

The movie wants to go a different route to give him more of an Arc, and allow for character development. It is limiting to just do a love story between the villain and death itself.

Last edited:
A US American saying the USA has the culture of 50 normal countries is pretty classic.

I live in Canada. But I've been to enough different parts of the states and enough parts of Europe to know there's more difference between Louisiana and Oregon than there is between England and Scotland, for example. Or between Spain and Portugal.

Sorry I've travelled more than you and that makes you feel poor.

That you for the example, I would never have that attitude against tourists who would take the time and effort (not to mention the money they bring) to visit my country.

Regarding your question: Well first of all you should keep/increase that superior attitude that you are a perfect example of...

Furthermore work more towards that 3rd world country you are becoming... and then probably you got me.

So pretty simply actually

What country are you from anyway?

Now that's an awesome movie.
Pity he didn't do a lot more of the genre.

Concurred. Was almost gonna nominate it for the Sherdog Movie Club but reasons.

Agreed again. Dude had a real talent for gore. Hard to describe the disappointment of going to see Heavenly Creatures after absolutely loving Bad Taste and Braindead. Redeemed himself with The Frighteners. Totally underrated flick and totally back in the right direction. Then next thing I know he's doing Lord of the fucking Rings. Quite the career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back