WAR ROOM LOUNGE V11: Now With More

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll have to wait. Gotta make an airport pickup in a bit and that's all the driving that's getting done today. Having mustered up some dog washing earlier, I'm already in the bonus. :cool:

PS. I ain't that pretty. Or zen looking.
Hmm, I noticed you do not deny you travel everywhere by surfboard. Another sherdogger who's life rustles me.

Trying to "rank" history is usually going to be a bad idea imo
Categorizing history via normative judgements is fundamentally flawed

Meh, I think it can be done by informed persons with some disclaimer. One of my biggest problems with Americans doing it is the horrible blind spots that come with living in a super rich country with liberal democracy.

Trying to "rank" history is usually going to be a bad idea imo
Categorizing history via normative judgements is fundamentally flawed
What would you consider some of the most egregious destructions of history? Or holes in history that are the most heartbreaking? Open question for all, but since you're all fancy 'n shit...

I was watching some stuff on Rome annihilating Carthage and it gave me the feels.

What would you consider some of the most egregious destructions of history? Or holes in history that are the most heartbreaking? Open question for all, but since you're all fancy 'n shit...

I was watching some stuff on Rome annihilating Carthage and it gave me the feels.

All I know is that the Mueller probe is the worst witch hunt in history. That's what people are saying.

Meh, I think it can be done by informed persons with some disclaimer. One of my biggest problems with Americans doing it is the horrible blind spots that come with living in a super rich country with liberal democracy.
The problem with normative judgements is that trying to build an argument on how "bad" or "good" something is just sucks ass and can't escape being about people's feelings.

Is there anything more annoying than waiting for a late int'l flight to arrive? Airport parking lots are purgatory.

Yeah, I had a flight cancelled on me the other week. First time in my life I've had it and I've taken a LOT of flights.

Then I get to the airport, and I need a long taxi ride. They tell me to go to a certain taxi, and the taxi driver is fucking freaking saying he can't go to where I need to go. He's refusing to take me. The lady working the taxi stand is saying that he has to take me. Apparently he wants to go in a different direction! I tell the lady working the stand I don't want to take this asshole's cab given how he's acting. He does a 180 and says he will take me. I go to get into the back of his cab, and there's a fucking person sitting in the passenger side seat. Apparently his wife.

The fuck basically wanted to go somewhere with his wife, but wanted to make a little cash on the way by picking up a cab fare.

What a shit head. And people wonder why people are taking Ubers these days.

I dunno man. It's all relative to something. It's more useful from a historical perspective to ask "why was this destruction so complete" if you wanna go that route. Gotta be kinda sneaky.

Yeah, I had a flight cancelled on me the other week. First time in my life I've had it and I've taken a LOT of flights.

Then I get to the airport, and I need a long taxi ride. They tell me to go to a certain taxi, and the taxi driver is fucking freaking saying he can't go to where I need to go. He's refusing to take me. The lady working the taxi stand is saying that he has to take me. Apparently he wants to go in a different direction! I tell the lady working the stand I don't want to take this asshole's cab given how he's acting. He does a 180 and says he will take me. I go to get into the back of his cab, and there's a fucking person sitting in the passenger side seat. Apparently his wife.

The fuck basically wanted to go somewhere with his wife, but wanted to make a little cash on the way by picking up a cab fare.

Cabbies are such savages. But I would definitely do that kind of thing if I was a cabbie.

The problem with normative judgements is that trying to build an argument on how "bad" or "good" something is just sucks ass and can't escape being about people's feelings.

Christopher Columbus: Evil Rapist? Or Good Rapist?

Go.

I dunno man. It's all relative to something. It's more useful from a historical perspective to ask "why was this destruction so complete" if you wanna go that route. Gotta be kinda sneaky.
I figured your answer would be something like that, which is why I asked the second part lol. Fair enough.

Christopher Columbus: Evil Rapist? Or Good Rapist?

Go.
*insert some long winded diatribe from a smarmy asshole discussing presentism and the value of understanding why and how Colombus did what he did regardless of our present day views on sexual assault*

*insert some long winded diatribe from a smarmy asshole discussing presentism and the value of understanding why and how Colombus did what he did regardless of our present day views on sexual assault*

I thought presentism is the philosophy that only the present exists and that the past and future are stories and prognostications.

I figured your answer would be something like that, which is why I asked the second part lol. Fair enough.
My bad there, can definitely deal with the second part more readily. I'll save the long winded ranting, but historians shit the bed for ages and ages when it came to chronicling information from colonial subjects.

I thought presentism is the philosophy that only the present exists and that the past and future are stories and prognostications.
Nah it's basically viewing the past through the standards of our own time. That's a bastardized explanation but I think you get the gist. It's a big reason why looking at history through a normative lense generally doesnt cut the cheese.

Nah it's basically viewing the past through the standards of our own time. That's a bastardized explanation but I think you get the gist. It's a big reason why looking at history through a normative lense generally doesnt cut the cheese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_presentism

I agree, though. For me, the history of government torture is really difficult to grasp morally. For instance, Cyrus the Great was seen as the greater liberal of his time and a man of great compassion and regard for humanity, yet he also presided over some of the most appalling execution methods in the history of mankind - and not solely for criminals, but also just for people who upset him or his friends and family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_presentism

I agree, though. For me, the history of government torture is really difficult to grasp morally. For instance, Cyrus the Great was seen as the greater liberal of his time and a man of great compassion and regard for humanity, yet he also presided over some of the most appalling execution methods in the history of mankind - and not solely for criminals, but also just for people who upset him or his friends and family.
Yeah we were thinking of different presentismzzz

@Limbo Pete which film would you say is more historically accurate: Little Shop of Horrors or Flubber?

If there ever was a model that deserves to be diaplaced by the evil creative destruction it’s taxi’s.

What the Sapiens now have is a gift that has been given to you from the ones by the entities that presided before them on this wonderful earth as they stumbled there way towards the beautiful. The abstract treasures they conceptualized has been bestowed upon ones birthright. You will bring it forth to the next epoch, more refined, at a much more digestible manner... The transcendent will secrete the super ordinate manner to blossom the next coming flesh...

@Limbo Pete which film would you say is more historically accurate: Little Shop of Horrors or Flubber?
Flubber is the one where Robin Williams fought a 50ft mechanical Joe Frazier, right? If memory serves, the whole Earth was destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back