WAR ROOM LOUNGE V11: Now With More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. I'd say White Men Can't Jump or Bull Durham. Raging Bull is probably the most acclaimed, and it is damned good. Chariots of Fire has a couple of great moments. I bet I'm overlooking a lot. I prefer the Karate Kid to Rocky. Kingpin also deserves consideration.
Million Dollar Baby is up there.

Come at me.

Not controversial imo. Better drunk than stoned for me even.

I've heard everything he's done so much I'm pretty much numb to all of it in any state. Once in a while, I'll be in the right mood and hear something and it'll hit me. Sad because he is a legend, and obviously it doesn't reflect on him.

Rocky is the best sports film of all time

I have trouble getting into sport films because I think watching a sport and watching a movie is a similar event. You are watching a story play out. So for a movie to be about a sport just seems cheesy. Some of the reason to watch a sport is you don't know what will happen. In a movie, its been determined how they wrote the script. They obviously can fool you or leave you guessing how it ends, but the fact it's already determined takes away from it. I would say the best sports movie would be one that's not actually about the sport itself when you watch it. Kinda like how Fight Club is about fighting but not really at all about that.

Any sports film where the climax is an event is lower tier, so Raging Bull, Million Dollar baby, maybe Rocky 1, etc. are obviously better than the others.

I've heard everything he's done so much I'm pretty much numb to all of it in any state. Once in a while, I'll be in the right mood and hear something and it'll hit me. Sad because he is a legend, and obviously it doesn't reflect on him.
Agree, the oversaturation with Marley is real (especially for those of us who had hippie parents). I'm good for once every few years, when maybe somebody puts it on at a party and it's groovy for an hour. Jimmy Cliff is the same for me. The only music I've heard that much that I still listen to is the Beatles, and on the rare occasion I spark one up, they're still amazing for me.

I have trouble getting into sport films because I think watching a sport and watching a movie is a similar event. You are watching a story play out. So for a movie to be about a sport just seems cheesy. Some of the reason to watch a sport is you don't know what will happen. In a movie, its been determined how they wrote the script. They obviously can fool you or leave you guessing how it ends, but the fact it's already determined takes away from it. I would say the best sports movie would be one that's not actually about the sport itself when you watch it. Kinda like how Fight Club is about fighting but not really at all about that.

How about this one?

MV5BMTlkNjdiM2MtZWRhZS00MGRiLWJiOWEtNzRjZjhjODkxM2JmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Million dollar baby was great for the "poverty scenes" (waiter taking scraps of the plates). You think Clint would watch his own movies and stop talking to fucking empty chairs to make the 1%ers happy....

Agree, the oversaturation with Marley is real (especially for those of us who had hippie parents). I'm good for once every few years, when maybe somebody puts it on at a party and it's groovy for an hour. Jimmy Cliff is the same for me. The only music I've heard that much that I still listen to is the Beatles, and on the rare occasion I spark one up, they're still amazing for me.

Mentioning Cliff reminds me of Ring of Fire, another really great sports movie (documentary about Emile Griffith). Sitting in Limbo is played over the credits, and it's kind of brutal (the way the song and what you saw play on each other kind of wrecks me for some reason).

BTW, check this out if you haven't seen it. John Jeremiah Sullivan on Bunny Wailer.

www.gq.com/story/bunny-wailer-john-jeremiah-sullivan/amp

Last edited:
How about this one?

MV5BMTlkNjdiM2MtZWRhZS00MGRiLWJiOWEtNzRjZjhjODkxM2JmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Is that like a documentary? Those can be okay but I won't consider them a movie. Movie based on real events can count in that category too. But something like Friday Night Lights to me is cheesy as fuck.

Edit- Is Friday Night Lights based on real events?

Is that like a documentary? Those can be okay but I won't consider them a movie. Movie based on real events can count in that category too. But something like Friday Night Lights to me is cheesy as fuck.

The show was great, and Minka Kelly had to be one of the most beautiful women to ever live.

The show was great, and Minka Kelly had to be one of the most beautiful women to ever live.

A show I could get behind cause I imagine it's less about the game and more about the characters off the field.

The thing with good sport films is that the sport itself is just a backdrop. Ultimately it doesn't matter what goes on in the pitch (or ring, octagon, field, whatever), the storytelling and the performances do all the work. I was a big Boxing fan as kid and the actual boxing in Rocky made me cringe (it's soooo bad...) but the film was quality regardless of that. I hate American Football and think it's a retarded sport (again, come at me) but I still like Remember the Titans.

I hear you on films and sports having something of a disconnect. I'd rather think of them as dramas (most of them anyway) that happen to have sports in them.

Hmmm. I'd say White Men Can't Jump or Bull Durham. Raging Bull is probably the most acclaimed, and it is damned good. Chariots of Fire has a couple of great moments. I bet I'm overlooking a lot. I prefer the Karate Kid to Rocky. Kingpin also deserves consideration.
It's Cool Runnings

The thing with good sport films is that the sport itself is just a backdrop. Ultimately it doesn't matter what goes on in the pitch (or ring, octagon, field, whatever), the storytelling and the performances do all the work. I was a big Boxing fan as kid and the actual boxing in Rocky made me cringe (it's soooo bad...) but the film was quality regardless of that. I hate American Football and think it's a retarded sport (again, come at me) but I still like Remember the Titans.

I hear you on films and sports having something of a disconnect. I'd rather think of them as dramas (most of them anyway) that happen to have sports in them.

This completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back