War room lounge v.9 Wake up it's time to go now, wake up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Trotsky @alanb

Ssssoooooo, dumb question since you guys work in the field as well.. Defense attorney just filed a Notice of Self Defense to let the other side know that's the defense that they're going to use.....

For an Burglary 1, Assault 2, Harassment Threats to Kill case....

I'm confused. How can you claim self defense especially with that first fucking charge.

Lmao I know one guy I arrested claimed self defense when he literally ran his van up onto the curbside and plowed through a bicyclist who was fleeing from him from an earlier altercation they had.

This was after he claimed it was an accident, but the surveillance footage I had showed his brake lights didn’t go on until well after he crushed this guy. Well lit area and all.

Sorry that as for the legal how I’m not too helpful, but it was an egregious example.

Lmao I know one guy I arrested claimed self defense when he literally ran his van up onto the curbside and plowed through a bicyclist who was fleeing from him from an earlier altercation they had.

This was after he claimed it was an accident, but the surveillance footage I had showed his brake lights didn’t go on until well after he crushed this guy. Well lit area and all.

Sorry that as for the legal how I’m not too helpful, but it was an egregious example.
Yeah, I just get confused how one crime you have is Burglary which basically means you were someplace you weren't supposed to be for the purpose of committing a crime coupled with 2 other charges one for Assault 2 and another Threats to Kill you can claim self defense?

Another case this attorney is on is Assault 2 Strangulation and he ALSO filed a Notice of Self Defense.

WTF

Isn't a lot of hip-hop a rough draft of other music?

- The beats and rhythms are usually scaled down or lifted directly from Funk.

I think it was James Brown who said, "They only know a few of the lessons."

- The lyricism mimics C-grade poetry, and the themes are often puerile. Say Eminem's 200 degrees of anger, or Tupac's musings. To be fair, I like Tupac's poem "The Rose that Grew from Concrete," although it is simple and terse, I think he had good wishes for the world at that time.

- Experimentation is rare and is usually derivative, although there are some good/edgy hip/hop artists out there, but they are few.

This is partly a critique of modern music, however, hop-hop is often selling a dancable beat, low-grade bawdy notions, or a faux street mentality that is fair to describe as thuggish.

To be totally fair, metal is often also selling a "tough" mentality, and a lot of music is tied up in identity. From feel good folk to electronica a lot of people require a certain mentality to join the music, and a certain music to fit the mentality.

Most modern pop is a derivative of the driving disco rhythms, scaled down, matched with simple melodies and harmonies that are polished to take off any hard edges, and matched with beautiful or rugged singers who either swoon or growl through an auto-tuner about vapid party lifestyles, missing one's ex soooo much, or taking in the excesses of "tonight".

It is purely a product often selling the lowest of emotions, musical arrangements, and ideas in order to get "stuck in your head" and promote the opposite of real feeling or thought.

When I hear it, to be honest, I hear fear and desperation, an escape from seeing anything through the vaporous shadows.

You sound like someone who honestly doesn't know much about hip hop.

1. Wholesale flips aren't en vogue anymore and haven't been for years. The DMCA put the kibosh on that. Now you have to get them cleared, which often means that you're getting snippets of songs layered into custom tracks.

2. Rappers tend to have MORE extensive vocabulary usage than other genres. Having to fit rhyme schemes means that you have to dig deep into the dictionary to make a good concept work. Sure you have your c-rate poets as you said, but those aren't the ones being held up as the paragons of the genre.

3. All new rap is is experimentation. Kanye started the wave with Yeezus, which was out of left field, and he carried on with TLOP. If you don't think the music sounds drastically different today than 3 years ago, much less 5 or 10, you can't be paying attention.

Just saying, these criticisms are said a lot and I don't know why. We don't call all rock trash because Nickelback exists, why does the existence of subpar rappers indict rap?

You sound like someone who honestly doesn't know much about hip hop.

1. Wholesale flips aren't en vogue anymore and haven't been for years. The DMCA put the kibosh on that. Now you have to get them cleared, which often means that you're getting snippets of songs layered into custom tracks. (1)

2. Rappers tend to have MORE extensive vocabulary usage than other genres. Having to fit rhyme schemes means that you have to dig deep into the dictionary to make a good concept work. Sure you have your c-rate poets as you said, but those aren't the ones being held up as the paragons of the genre. (2)

3. All new rap is is experimentation. Kanye started the wave with Yeezus, which was out of left field, and he carried on with TLOP. If you don't think the music sounds drastically different today than 3 years ago, much less 5 or 10, you can't be paying attention.(3)

Just saying, these criticisms are said a lot and I don't know why. We don't call all rock trash because Nickelback exists, why does the existence of subpar rappers indict rap? (4)

1. Granted I am not a hip hop expert, and have no intention of being one, although I would take the musical calculus of the layers and instrumentation to mean something, as well as the Godfather of Soul.

2. Well, to be fair I did not make that claim. Also, if you are slowing down the tempo, injecting a narrative into things, and making the rhyme scheme a critical component of the recording... would that not boost the vocabulary by default?

Also, I never claimed music, let alone popular music is of high literary merit, and I severely doubt that any paragons of the genre are going to break the b-rate poetic ceiling.

Leonard Cohen, an actual poet might make the upper ceiling, Bob Dylan might have a shot, or a prime David Byrne for thought in music.

Society fills in style for substance in this category, with hip-hop artists all the more. Perhaps not you, but I imagine you know what I mean when it comes to certain critics and their will to believe or want to believe something in order to promote an idea, a feeling.

3. I don't think our definition of experimental is the same.

4. Are you sure your passion for hip-hop is not making you a tiny, teeny weenie bit subjective?

There are some great hip-hop acts, even by my snobby standards and semi-disdain for the genre. (I'll take funk any day.)

As a last note, you are also 100% correct, because music is perhaps the most subjective of the arts.

The content though that is being given to society, that is perhaps well another matter.

I swear watching Judah get slept is always worth a lol.

@Trotsky @alanb

Ssssoooooo, dumb question since you guys work in the field as well.. Defense attorney just filed a Notice of Self Defense to let the other side know that's the defense that they're going to use.....

I'm confused. How can you claim self defense especially with that first fucking charge.

I neither practice crim law nor do I practice in State court. I genuinely have no idea. You ever have any 1983 litigation I am happy to advise.

1. Granted I am not a hip hop expert, and have no intention of being one, although I would take the musical calculus of the layers and instrumentation to mean something, as well as the Godfather of Soul.

The sample can provide a "flavor" mimicked in the rest of the production, but the best artists are going far beyond that sample to create something new.

Take for instance, the song E=MC2 by the legendary J Dilla to see what I mean. Would you believe that the song samples the bubblegum E=MC2 by Giorgio Moroder? Clearly Moroder's song dominates the hook, but Dilla's mastery of drum placement as well as the stretch from the sample is what dominates the track. Moroder contributed heavily to the spirit of the track, but Dilla is the one that made the track bounce.

Philosophically speaking, it's the argument of whether or not a flip really constitutes a new track. If you don't think so, you probably think hip hop is lazy. If you're open to the concept, then even a sample can turn into something completely different with a little effort. Sample based genres like Vaporwave and Future Funk took that to the extreme and advanced into a whole different direction than their inspirations, to great success.

2. Well, to be fair I did not make that claim. Also, if you are slowing down the tempo, injecting a narrative into things, and making the rhyme scheme a critical component of the recording... would that not boost the vocabulary by default?

Also, I never claimed music, let alone popular music is of high literary merit, and I severely doubt that any paragons of the genre are going to break the b-rate poetic ceiling.

Leonard Cohen, an actual poet might make the upper ceiling, Bob Dylan might have a shot, or a prime David Byrne for thought in music.

Society fills in style for substance in this category, with hip-hop artists all the more. Perhaps not you, but I imagine you know what I mean when it comes to certain critics and their will to believe or want to believe something in order to promote an idea, a feeling.

Ok, maybe I misread that, because clearly nothing is going to be good if we compare it to the absolute pinnacle of human literature. It's like saying Dr. Seuss is a d-rate author because we're comparing him to Hemingway. As far as childrens books go, he might be the greatest author of all. Different lanes, I don't think it's too constructive to try and switch lanes when they have different intentions to begin with, y'know?

3. I don't think our definition of experimental is the same.

Here's what I mean.

This is a concept taken to it's extreme. The song is about a spaceship AI commenting on his passenger, a runaway slave left alone after a slave revolt. The sounds are the sounds of the ship, bare and unforgiving. The only beat is that from the passenger, yearning for human interaction through rhymes. The rhyme scheme shifts from urgent, to curious, to rationalizing, back to urgent in a different way.

This song takes all the traditional tropes of hip hop and ignores them outright to the benefit of the listener. That's experimental, pushing the boundaries of what hip hop is, and even music itself at times. It can be noise, even grating noise, but when put together it can make a compelling tale.

That's Kanye's influence I was talking about btw.

4. Are you sure your passion for hip-hop is not making you a tiny, teeny weenie bit subjective?

There are some great hip-hop acts, even by my snobby standards and semi-disdain for the genre. (I'll take funk any day.)

As a last note, you are also 100% correct, because music is perhaps the most subjective of the arts.

The content though that is being given to society, that is perhaps well another matter.

I listen to all music bruv (Sly and The Family Stone right now actually), it's more counteracting the sheer dismissal of the genre that most detractors (not saying you) seem to have. It's an uphill battle at times for even recognition, and you end up addressing a lot of the same baseless criticisms that could be solved of they just listened to better artists. Not meaning to come out guns blazing, it's just a tiring discussion these days.

The sample can provide a "flavor" mimicked in the rest of the production, but the best artists are going far beyond that sample to create something new.

Take for instance, the song E=MC2 by the legendary J Dilla to see what I mean. Would you believe that the song samples the bubblegum E=MC2 by Giorgio Moroder? Clearly Moroder's song dominates the hook, but Dilla's mastery of drum placement as well as the stretch from the sample is what dominates the track. Moroder contributed heavily to the spirit of the track, but Dilla is the one that made the track bounce.

Philosophically speaking, it's the argument of whether or not a flip really constitutes a new track. If you don't think so, you probably think hip hop is lazy. If you're open to the concept, then even a sample can turn into something completely different with a little effort. Sample based genres like Vaporwave and Future Funk took that to the extreme and advanced into a whole different direction than their inspirations, to great success.

Ok, maybe I misread that, because clearly nothing is going to be good if we compare it to the absolute pinnacle of human literature. It's like saying Dr. Seuss is a d-rate author because we're comparing him to Hemingway. As far as childrens books go, he might be the greatest author of all. Different lanes, I don't think it's too constructive to try and switch lanes when they have different intentions to begin with, y'know?

Here's what I mean.

This is a concept taken to it's extreme. The song is about a spaceship AI commenting on his passenger, a runaway slave left alone after a slave revolt. The sounds are the sounds of the ship, bare and unforgiving. The only beat is that from the passenger, yearning for human interaction through rhymes. The rhyme scheme shifts from urgent, to curious, to rationalizing, back to urgent in a different way.

This song takes all the traditional tropes of hip hop and ignores them outright to the benefit of the listener. That's experimental, pushing the boundaries of what hip hop is, and even music itself at times. It can be noise, even grating noise, but when put together it can make a compelling tale.

I listen to all music bruv (Sly and The Family Stone right now actually), it's more counteracting the sheer dismissal of the genre that most detractors (not saying you) seem to have. It's an uphill battle at times for even recognition, and you end up addressing a lot of the same baseless criticisms that could be solved of they just listened to better artists. Not meaning to come out guns blazing, it's just a tiring discussion these days.

I'm going to be honest with you as I try to be, and probably never read a single word of this post beyond Sly and the Family Stone, as this is way too much passion for a defense of a music genre in an off-topic thread.

TL/DR!

However, I -will- listen to the music clip, because I have zero objection to mad style and phat beats .

I'm going to be honest with you as I try to be, and probably never read a single word of this post beyond Sly and the Family Stone, as this is way too much passion for a defense of a music genre in an off-topic thread.

TL/DR!

However, I -will- listen to the music clip, because I have zero objection to mad style and phat beats .

<[analyzed}>

I'm gonna call Dr. Funkenstein and we're gonna funk u up bruv.

Here's what I mean.

This indeed pleases me.

And almost seems like an excellent homage to the Jazz Pioneer "Sun Ra."

Also, for some good experimental reggae...

Keep that experimental hip hop coming, I'm "down" for that as the lingo goes.

Cool. Wasn't paying as much attention to the video as I should have, I guess.

The first time I think you're not supposed to really notice. The dancing and all that is meant to distract you, thus proving his point.

The dude has always been a surrealist when it comes to his art. Have you ever seen Atlanta? Weird things like invisible cars hitting people, a 40 minute commercial free horror episode where Donald is this creepy dude who bleached his skin.

Then there's the fake interview show complete with fake swisher and Mickey's commercials. Complete with this gem.

Do you enjoy interrogating them Mr Cracker?

Here's what I mean.

Delicious Mr Dawn... you exquisitily tight today.

Seamlessly? You realize that Trump's only significant legislation was just something that W did, right? And despite his promises not to cut entitlements, he was prepared to sign massive cuts to Medicaid to finance a tax cut for rich investors?

And the only thing new about the GOP's "court the Breitbart crowd and deliver to the Davos crowd" strategy is the terminology. Here's LBJ more than 50 years ago:

Let's wait until a single Republican senator is willing to raise taxes on the wealthy or strengthen the safety net before we say that the party is seamlessly transitioning into something new.

Let's not talk past one another.

We are moving toward a situation in which one party is highly skeptical of technological growth and favors regulation of tech companies, while the other takes a more lax approach. Further, this issue will utterly dominate all other issues---particularly the issues that you are focusing on. The era of our voters giving a crap about the highest marginal income tax rates is coming to an end.

The young, influential Trump supporter who penned the Breitbart op-ed piece is attacking legacy Republicans for refusing to consider regulating the tech companies. He is calling for regulation of monopolies more generally. The old Republicans in the Senate won't stand for it.

Yesterday's primaries couldn't have been better for the Trumpists. Renacci, Braun and Morrisey all won. Assuming some of these candidates win in the Fall (they will): in the short-term, the Republicans will get harsher on illegal immigration and unequal trade practices.

At the end of Trump's second term, expect the Republican party to be significantly more Bannonist in ideology than today. That means: harder on illegal immigration, less multilateral trade agreements and more tough bilateral agreements with countries using "unfair practices", more federal infrastructure spending than they are currently calling for, more regulation of tech companies than they are currently calling for. The main exception will be on marginal tax rates for the wealthy (Bannon advocates raising them to pay for middle class cuts), which will be an issue that most voters don't really care about.

My key predictions are:

(1) In 15 years, either the Ds or the Rs will be strongly pro-technology and will support limited regulation of tech companies, while the other party will be highly skeptical of technology.
(2) This will be the most-discussed of all political issues (for example, at the presidential debates).
(3) In 40 years, if the United States still exists, no other issue will even be discussed.

At the 15-year mark, as I see it (this part is less certain), Bannonism will be aligned with the skeptical-of-technology side. However, it is possible that a further reconfiguration will occur, creating odd pairings (e.g., more regulation of tech but lax on the border).

@senri
What is your opinion on the inevitability of humanity's slide into cyborg control?

@Trotsky @alanb

Off the top of my head, burglary just requires intent to commit a felony during unauthorized access. If the access was unauthorized, but the commission of the felony, thus satisfying the intent thereof, was prompted by a need for self-defense, you could say the burglary was in self-defense.

Off the top of my head, burglary just requires intent to commit a felony during unauthorized access. If the access was unauthorized, but the commission of the felony, thus satisfying the intent thereof, was prompted by a need for self-defense, you could say the burglary was in self-defense.
I guess I can see that but a couple of the other ones like DV Assault with Strangulation seems like more of a push

While walking the three miles back home from McDonald's in an undersized t-shirt, oversized shorts with no elastic, and Walmart deck shoes with no socks, it occurred to me that I probably should have replaced my 1996 Ford Taurus a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back