War Dance - Studies in Human Movement

It takes two to tango (XVII)

One of the muses of this thread, the wonderful Alicia Amatriain, with Jason Reilly in
a fascinating piece by Itzik Galili: Mona Lisa

[YT]GlScLv2Tyz8[/YT]

It takes two to tango (XVIII)

With his cinematic style, influenced by modern animation dance and martial arts, rising star Douglas Lee is one of the new talents to look out in the futture.

The Fade by the Mainz Ballet

[YT]WUff8kMfJq0[/YT]

Legion by members of the NDT2

[YT]ChHOOlcObZg[/YT]

It takes two to tango (XIX)

Douglas Lee (2)

Piano Piece by the Dortmund Ballet

[YT]a5no5xI2skw[/YT]

A-life by the Zurich Ballet

[YT]WsuXoYqXwWI[/YT]

It takes two to tango (XX)

The ethereal Karina Sarkissova in Whirling by Andras Lukacs

[YT]iNyjn1-38AM[/YT]

It takes two to tango (XXi & End)

We close our survey of duets with a very special one. Everytime one enters a fight, even if its against our own shadow we have to deal with a misterious dancing partner, the Inertial Self.

Any time we step or throw a punch - even with the minutest oscillation - an inertial movement begins that needs to be stoped in due time (the start/stop done in the legs when thrwoing a punch, etc ) and to keep balance we need to cooperate with this most intimate companion, he can be our best ally or our worst enemy - and then we would be fighting two oponents at once...

The inner workings of this "Inertial Self" is the main them of this coregraphy by Russell Maliphant - performed by Jordi cortez and Maliphant himself.

Critical Mass

[YT]outEm-V_G8Y[/YT]

[YT]BIYz9755uqE[/YT]

Last edited:
TRANSITIONS

Transitions are one of the keys in modern MMA, to be able to shift smoothly from diferent ranges, levels, techniques can make the difference between victory or defeat. In the next post we are gonna explore the diferent transits in human movement.

Transitions (I)
Scrambles: the gymnastics of fighting

I believe the most suprising feature of modern mma in the yes of old masters would be the speed on the ground, even acounting for soccer kicks, which gives mma a heightened sense of reality its very difficult nowdays to catch guys on the ground...

As usual, modern dance has evolved in parallel to this development

[YT]MGG7DqAsiWA[/YT]

Scrambles (II)

Walking with the hands...

in two versions, the flashy exercise of Xiao Qin with his astounding airflares

[YT]5AA-0qA6WpA[/YT]

and the sober but equally brilliant work of the reigning king of the pommel horse Krisztian Berki

[YT]zXc7BmJe0Yg[/YT]

Apologies for the long hiatus, life keeps getting in the way of my sherdog posting. I´ll try and use the summer window to finish the planned "coregraphy" for this thread, ending with an overview of chinese TMA. But before resuming the dance i have to do a little homage to one of this thread favourite icons: Yuki Ota, who finally won the Foil World Championship. At last, the samurais lineage got its gold too.
Bravo Ota Sensei, what a comeback! Rokkon Shojo!

Back