War Dance - Studies in Human Movement

wang xiangzhai

Per possessĭo ad astra (2)
@Brown
Reaction score
Since the dawn of humanity, dance has always been in a close relationship with martial arts and figthing in general and many cultures have developed its own "War Dances" where figthing is ritualized. Also, in the Far East, ritual coreographies (forms, katas) have been used to encode and record fighting techniques.

Now that McGregror has put "human movement" back in fashion i thought of posting different kinds of modern dance. Sure enough, they might not be directly related to fighting but, besides the aesthetic pleasure that is enough in itself, i believe theres much - for the stand up artist - to appreciate and learn in modern dance. i hope you enjoy.

PS: I

Scrambles (III)

Airflares - From the streets to the Olympics

Evolution

[YT]G4ijUZE33YE[/YT]

Pablo Climax - Continuos Airflares

[YT]o6l591sVleU[/YT]

Morgan Hamm introduces it to the Olympics repertoire

[YT]aoqpkoSmzEI[/YT]

[YT]6AIX6NdEkW0[/YT]

Conor McGregor's footwork is good but shit isn't innovative or some fancy "heeuman meuvment" thingy.

You're welcome.

state-of-the-web-worthless.jpg

You may want to check Paul Mason's work out: http://mq.academia.edu/PaulMason

Paul is a friend/colleague of mine.He did his PhD on how the brain interacts with culture through fight dances (penchak silat and capoeira). You may find it interesting.

Sylvie Guillaume, former classical ballet star goes modern with a terrific performance full of power and precision. Kung-fu ballet on ecstasy :)

Two

[YT]IdjAbhZi-QU[/YT]

Illusionary dancer Dave Elsewhere pushing the boundaries of skeletal range, motor skills and muscle isolation/control. "Be like water, my friend"

[YT]Qv4JWyHwy1g[/YT]

Silat

Pencak silat or just silat is an umbrella word covering the varied yet common martial arts spread along indonesia are of influence (including Singapore, Malasia, Brunei and some parts of Phillipines, Vietnam, Camboya, Thailand, etc). As with many traditional martial arts, is both a fighting discipline and a cultural performance, and silat dances are performed in festivals and all kind of events - usually accompanied with music.

Its a heavily weapon influenced martial art. That its roots are still deeply embbebed in real combat (its was not long ago that indonesian were still fighting their neverending civil wars with "machetes") can be seen clearly in how much groundwork takes part in both the discipline and the dances - as we will see in subsequent videos. As any MMA fan, they are well aware, from experience, more often than not, hand to hand combat ends on the ground.

(1 of 3) Primordial dance

[YT]LZ_6EIwggbg[/YT]

Silat (3 of 3)

Kids playing coreographed applications

[YT]833xnFJ8hUU[/YT]

Dancer extraordinary Yang LiPing, mixing Yunnan ethnic dances with modern elements while giving new meanings to expresions like "fast-twitch muscles", "mobile hips", etc. A mezmerizing performance.

[YT]ZkLrFpo0lHA[/YT]

Last edited:
I've always thought tap dancing could benefit boxing. Sugar Ray Robinson was a tap dancer and he had great footwork.

Milena Sidorova doing her best Anderson Silva impersonation :)

[YT]JItkRLVlf-c[/YT]

Why do you suppose no one is adding anything to this thread?

Back