Want to start learning BJJ

zigzagman

The Lad
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys
I'll apologize if this is in the wrong section I kinda took a shot in the dark
I wanted to start learning BJJ and in my area there is only a few to choose from
And I wanted an opinion from someone who knows their shit
Is this looking legit ?
Any pointers or red flags on what to look for
Not putting this place down just genuinely dont have a fkn clue
Thanks
http://www.lancasterbjj.com

The instructors are legit, the only thing I dislike are the adult class times. Only seems to be one 90 minute beginner class a week. Really surprised they couldn't offer another beginner class with three instructors.

Hey guys
I wanted to start learning BJJ and in my area there is only a few to choose from
Is this looking legit ?
Thanks

Are their prices listed on their website? I couldn't find them.

Call them and see if they'll be up front about their prices. Ask them if it is month to month or contractual. Don't sign a contract. In my experience, all of the best gyms didn't have contracts. Also, life happens. Would you want to pay for time you don't use? You shouldn't be contracted for something you're volunteering to do.

Find out who actually teaches the class. They can list all the best people with great accolades, but if they assign their junior students to teach classes you may not be as satisfied.

Ask if you can have a free trial. This way you can get a feeling of the environment, and training partners.

Ask if their open mat is free. This is always a big one for me. I don't think gyms should charge for open mats. It's one day a week, and brings new talent to the gym. It's a mutual benefit and exchange. Boxing gyms don't charge for guys to come spar with their people. If they charge that might be a red flag on their priorities.

Looks legit. I would try and get pricing and see if can get in without a long term contract. Sometimes it’s even hard to get out of a year long contract. Just make sure you understand the terms if you are going to do it.

I really appreciate all the responses guys
The prices are:
$95/mo 12 month contract
$105/mo NO contract
Both unlimited adult classes but as Kingbedlam already mentioned there's only one beginner class a week
And the main instructor at this location from what I gather is the brown belt mark i believe his name was.
When I was doing kickboxing and boxing the prices were much lower but there were plenty of other options though they were most legit I was paying £60 a month
So this seems expensive though obviously it's in dollars here so I factor that in and I have no comparable prices to such training.
Thanks again guys
Flat feet only make you more vulnerable to takedowns though. I know Conor doesn't have a good wrestling coach to tell him that, but I'd assume he knew that. I'd guess nerves got the better of him here, I really don't know. I called Khabib or a fighter like Khabib being the one to expose him long before he had a UFC belt, so I figured it would look like what happened to begin with.

The instructors are legit, the only thing I dislike are the adult class times. Only seems to be one 90 minute beginner class a week. Really surprised they couldn't offer another beginner class with three instructors.

Are their prices listed on their website? I couldn't find them.

Call them and see if they'll be up front about their prices. Ask them if it is month to month or contractual. Don't sign a contract. In my experience, all of the best gyms didn't have contracts. Also, life happens. Would you want to pay for time you don't use? You shouldn't be contracted for something you're volunteering to do.

Find out who actually teaches the class. They can list all the best people with great accolades, but if they assign their junior students to teach classes you may not be as satisfied.

Ask if you can have a free trial. This way you can get a feeling of the environment, and training partners.

Ask if their open mat is free. This is always a big one for me. I don't think gyms should charge for open mats. It's one day a week, and brings new talent to the gym. It's a mutual benefit and exchange. Boxing gyms don't charge for guys to come spar with their people. If they charge that might be a red flag on their priorities.

Looks legit. I would try and get pricing and see if can get in without a long term contract. Sometimes it’s even hard to get out of a year long contract. Just make sure you understand the terms if you are going to do it.

I really appreciate all the responses guys
The prices are:
$95/mo 12 month contract
$105/mo NO contract
Both unlimited adult classes but as Kingbedlam already mentioned there's only one beginner class a week
And the main instructor at this location from what I gather is the brown belt mark i believe his name was.
When I was doing kickboxing and boxing the prices were much lower but there were plenty of other options though they were most legit I was paying £60 a month
So this seems expensive though obviously it's in dollars here so I factor that in and I have no comparable prices to such training.
Thanks again guys
I wouldn’t worry about a brown belt teaching. I would also pay the extra $10 a month to stay out of a contract. I personally can’t stand contracts. I’ve been stuck in contracts and the whole ordeal left a sour taste in mouth, when I wanted to get out and move to another school.

I wouldn’t worry about a brown belt teaching. I would also pay the extra $10 a month to stay out of a contract. I personally can’t stand contracts. I’ve been stuck in contracts and the whole ordeal left a sour taste in mouth, when I wanted to get out and move to another school.

Great yeah I agree that is worth all the drama it prevents
I did get offered to come and take a free session with them and asked what class I'd be interested in . Obviously for me it would be the beginner classes as I dont think I'd gain much more than being used like a ragdoll if I show up to any others during the week Haha

The price is very attractive, but you pay for what you get, and what you're getting is a very limited schedule. That's really limited.

To put it into context, I'm in Des Moines, Iowa (so not some NYC or California mega school) and we have two classes a day (Monday - Thursday) that are either "essentials" or "all levels" and another "all levels" on Saturday.

BJJ? Here's everything you need to know, playboy.

Deep Water website has a lot of words but says nothing. Just scrolling made me think I'd bought something.

Lancaster BJJ, decent website but limited schedule.

BCBJJ seems to be share the same instructor as Lancaster BJJ. 2 Gi and 2 NoGi classes in the evening. Seems more focus on afternoon classes.

Jiujitsu1, really limited schedule and pricey for the offerings. Crappy Website.

My recommendation is you visit them and try each out. As a beginner, the most important is the Vibe in the academy. If they're a bunch of meat heads, it doesn't matter how awesome the instructors are. Unless you're also a meat head.

I would check it out and not sweat the beginner class thing. In my experience beginners will be accommodated in normal class unless it’s specifically a competition class

Picking a school is a personal choice. I would try them all out before I commit to anything. My advice would be to pick the school you like the most and is closest to you. If it takes a long time to get to class as a beginner chances are you may not want to bother with the trip. Give yourself as few reasons not to show up as possible when you are starting.

BJJ? Here's everything you need to know, playboy.

I'm sitting in a crowded train right now and a woman looked at me and then quickly moved further into the train.

Maybe it was because I was smiling while watching a video of two buff guys in spandex mounting each other.

Hey guys
Is this looking legit ?
Thanks
http://www.gracie717.com/

looks like a solid school. Nice training philosophy. Either the one you noted or this one seem solid. Go to the free week for both and see what ya think

Back