Want to buy a new console.

Wrath of Foamy

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hello all.

I’m really interested in playing Monster Hunter: World, Forza Horizon 3 and GTA5 but I don’t have the space or the money to buy a new PC, so I’m considering buying a console.

The last console I had was the XBOX360 which I threw away because after three years, the hardware started to malfunction. I then bought a PC in 2009, which was good for games like Left 4 Dead 2, GTA4 and Fallout 3, but today will be outdated.

I don’t want to spend much money because at 31 years of age, I don’t want to pump all of my finances into something that just brings temporary pleasure and nothing else. I wish to travel the world, get a mortgage, a motorbike and HGV licence, etc.

So I’m looking at the XBOX One and I see that memory is now a thing, with the cheapest console being 500gb and the most expensive being 2tb. So my questions are...

...how does buying a cheaper console affect things? Will my console be phased out sooner? Will there be games that I can no longer play?

Thanks all.

a 500gig console will fill up fairly fast, although you have the option of buying extra storage if/when that fills up

you can pick up an Xbox One S bundle for peanuts these days brand new

If the choice is between PS4 and XBOX One, definitely go with the one that isn't Microsoft.

Dude:

Xbox One: great subscription service with monthly premium titles coming

PS4: more exclusives because more sold. I have this and would avoid Xbox even though I had a 360.

Switch: portable fun, game choice and power cannot compare with the first two. Good for families.

a 500gig console will fill up fairly fast, although you have the option of buying extra storage if/when that fills up

you can pick up an Xbox One S bundle for peanuts these days brand new

I’ve got a 2TB external drive for my PS4.

If money is an issue than Xbox and a 10$ sub a month.

Last edited:
My pick

PS4 Pro so you can play Zero Dawn Horizon. Its awesome.

Go ps4. The exclusives on PS4 blow anything Xbox one has to offer out of the water probably for this entire gen.

There's a reason there's only been 34 million Xbones sold compared to 70 million Ps4.

I'm kind of an Xbox shill, but here are my reasons for going with the XB1...

Imo it's the better deal. Unless you have a 4K TV I would just pick up a used day one model from games stop for $200, or comb Craigslist if you're trying to pinch pennies. You can always buy an external Hard drive (Up to 3 tb) down the road if you run out of space

EA Access- for $30 a year you get 55 (and growing) of EA's games, plus 10 hours of the full game for all of their new titles.

Game Pass is $10 a month and is like a Netflix gaming service with 150 (and growing) downloadable games.

XBOX live offers 4 free games a month ($60 a year)

You can play emulators through the browser. (See Nes Box)

You can share digital games with other consoles

There is a huge library of backwards compatible games

You can wirelessly stream it through you're laptop via built in Windows 10 app

Better Controller IMO

The $500 Xbox One X is the most powerful console on the market and would take around $900-$1000 to build a PC that is capable of what XB1X does, if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
I'm kind of an Xbox shill, but here are my reasons for going with the XB1...

-snip-

The $500 Xbox One X is the most powerful console on the market and would take around $1500 to build a PC that is capable of what XB1X does, if you want to go that route.
lol no

It's a great deal, but even with the currently inflated prices for GPU you can put a comparably capable PC together for about $800. Probably significantly less with some care - this was chosen to have similar or better specs. If I focused on performance and price, it would be cheaper.

CPU: AMD - FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($104.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($55.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.85 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Devil Golden Sample Video Card ($439.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.96 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $825.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-03 16:06 EST-0500

lol no

It's a great deal, but even with the currently inflated prices for GPU you can put a comparably capable PC together for about $800. Probably significantly less with some care - this was chosen to have similar or better specs. If I focused on performance and price, it would be cheaper.

CPU: AMD - FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($104.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($55.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.85 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 580 8GB Red Devil Golden Sample Video Card ($439.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC - MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.96 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $825.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-03 16:06 EST-0500

My bad. I don't know a whole lot about gaming PC's, but I was just going off of what the PC magazines were saying several months ago prior to the OneX realese. I'll edit my post. I also think it would be fair to factor in a controller and a UHD disk drive as the XBOX comes with those included, so bump the price up to $985. $100 for a drive and $60 for a controller.

I want to build a PC some day just because I like tinkering with that kind of stuff, but I'm know I would end up messing with it more than I would actually game on it. Plus sports games take up a huge part of my gaming time and the PC doesn't have NHL, Madden, PGA, UFC, or Fight Night. This is why the XB1 and EA access are a good fit for me. I have to play Fight Night on my 360 though.

I do game on my laptop, but only for emulators. I actually recently bought a fight stick and have been having a blast with the old coin op arcade games I played as a kid.

Last edited:
I got the ps4 pro. 1TB hard drive which gives twice as much space as the regular 500gb.

If you have the money i suggest investing in a ps4 pro and high quality 4k HDR tv. Its worth it.

I got Xbox One and PS4 and I play my Xbox way more
All the PS4 exclusives(Uncharted, Horizon : Zero Dawn, Killzone 4) are just sitting there collecting dust, the only one I finished was Ratchet And Clank(awesome fuckin game)
The Xbox exclusives(Halo, Gears Of War, Cuphead) are more my style of games
Plus you get a way better selection of free games every month with Xbox Games For Gold than you do with PS Plus
500 GB hard drive isnt a problem because you can just delete games you arent playing and keep them in your library til you want to reinstall them again

Plus I fuckin hate that tiny girlie size PS4 controller, Xbox controller is better for my giant American meat hooves

well damn, I've been deleting and installing games for like 2 years now lol.

The PS4 didn't support external drives at first, but I think they patched to where it can handle them now. You need to make sure you have a USB 3 hard drive enclosure though.

I have a 500GB XB1 and two 1 TB externals hooked up to it and I have 181 games installed 47 apps and 230 GB free. I bought a 1 TB hard drive from Best Buy for around $60 and and robbed the 1tb Hard Drive out of my laptop that died and just bought an enclosure.

On the XB1 each USB port can Handle up to a 3TB hard drive. I'm running 2.5 TB right now and it seems to be plenty. I would suggest just buying a 3TB drive and you won't ever have to worry about deleting anything. None of this would be an issue, but the games take forever to download these days, so it's nice to have the space.

The PS4 didn't support external drives at first, but I think they patched to where it can handle them now. You need to make sure you have a USB 3 hard drive enclosure though.

I have a 500GB XB1 and two 1 TB externals hooked up to it and I have 181 games installed 47 apps and 230 GB free. I bought a 1 TB hard drive from Best Buy for around $60 and and robbed the 1tb Hard Drive out of my laptop that died and just bought an enclosure.

On the XB1 each USB port can Handle up to a 3TB hard drive. I'm running 2.5 TB right now and it seems to be plenty. I would suggest just buying a 3TB drive and you won't ever have to worry about deleting anything. None of this would be an issue, but the games take forever to download these days, so it's nice to have the space.

Awesome thanks for the info!

Downloading games isn't that bad for me. I have a 1gig pipe to my house. So I can download games in a couple of minutes if I plug right into the router.

Awesome thanks for the info!

Downloading games isn't that bad for me. I have a 1gig pipe to my house. So I can download games in a couple of minutes if I plug right into the router.

Is that a fiber connection? They don't offer that where I live. I have the fastest ISP in the area and it's through Spectrum at 60mps. XB1 games usually take an hour or two to download.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back