Wandi and his trainers released statements after Silva's loss to Sonnen

Shaddows

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Personally, I think they were very classy and it was what we expected.
What say you, Sherbros?

From Wandi:
“(I) fought a good fight, gave my best, and appreciate everyone’s support,” Silva wrote. "I have to train more takedown defense, I know. The best moment of the fight was mine, he just kept grabbing me, but it’s ok… on to the next one!"

"I’m happy to be back and feel the taste of entering the ring, and even better to feel that you are with me! I’ll train more jiu-jitsu and wrestling and come back as soon as possible! On to the next one! Listening our national anthem was emotional for me. Love you, Brazil.”

From his trainers:
We trained hard for five months based on Sonnen’s game, takedowns and working on top, scoring points and holding on until it's over to guarantee the rounds, and that’s the fight we expected from him. We had a strategy for that, with sprawl, knees, takedown defense, head kick, front kick, distance… We worked on everything we had to. The camp was based on Sonnen going for the takedown against Wanderlei like he always fights, and he wouldn’t do anything different this time.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t impose our strategy, and (Sonnen) did. That’s MMA, whoever gets first, takes it. When Wanderlei was able to use his striking, he knocked Sonnen down, came close to winning twice, with the guillotine and the knockdown. He rocked him twice. Wanderlei has great power in his hands.

I’m upset and happy at the same time. I’m upset with the loss, but happy because Wanderlei is back, back to fight rhythm, and that’s important. He haven’t fought in four years, that’s not easy. When you’re away for so long it plays against you, athletes know when I’m talking about. We trained hard to compensate that.

I’m seeing people on social media asking why Wanderlei didn’t get back up. It’s not like that. Sonnen is good in this area. He does that well. It’s not that simple to go for an armbar or triangle, foot to the hip to sweep or get back up with someone punching you in the face, especially someone that knows what he has to do to keep you there. Unfortunately, Sonnen’s merits, he fought his fight. That’s his kind of fight, and Wanderlei almost finished him twice. I’m sure that this fight demanded a lot from Wanderlei in terms of head, cardio and strength. He survived on the ground, he wasn’t submitted. On to the next one now.

Let’s see who’s the next opponent. Everybody learns, every fight teaches you something new. You have to evolve. Wanderlei has a lot of fire in him, there are great opponents for him to face and put on great fights for the fans. Next time we’ll go for the knockout to give fans this present.

WAR WANDI!!!!

By "holding on until it's over to score points," I assume a translation slip was in play. His actual words must have been "held me down and beat me repeatedly."

By "holding on until it's over to score points," I assume a translation slip was in play. His actual words must have been "held me down and beat me repeatedly."

Silva is a brawler.
IMHO he is mad because he thinks holding someone down is stalling... which makes sense (from his perspective).

I like more how his trainer put. They trained against it, but Sonnen was able to impose his game over Silva's.... it is what it is...

Silva is a brawler.
IMHO he is mad because he thinks holding someone down is stalling... which makes sense (from his perspective).

I like more how his trainer put. They trained against it, but Sonnen was able to impose his game over Silva's.... it is what it is...

As long as he's been training and competing, it would be pretty sad if he truly still thought like that, but it certainly would not surprise me.

It was a shitty match up even back in 2013, I sort of always expected it to play out this way.. Wand clipping Chael in the brief moments standing then getting laid on for the rest of the fight.

Then add in the fact Wand didn't fight for nearly half a decade and you get what we saw last night.

What was classy about it?
they did not make any excuses.
They admitted they trained to stop Sonnen's takedowns, and Sonnen was still able to take him down.

They also gave credit to how good Sonnen is at holding top control.

I just don't' understand how you don't think this is classy.

He wasn't all that classy in the ring, pushing Sonnen at the end. Why do we have to pretend he's some sort of virtuous classy character?

Translation: Sonnen is a blanket, not a hitter.

Get Manhoef on the fone.

Don't worry about BJJ and rasslin for now on Wandy

"Wanderlei...I will do a home invasion on you. The next thing you hear is me, climbing up your stairs in a pair of night vision goggle I bought in the back of Soldier of Fortune magazine. *Cheech cheek* I'll take a picture of you, in bed with the Nog bros....practicing your jooo jeeetooo".

What "fight" did you watch. He landed nothing of consequence. Every time Wand touched him he was wobbling. Then his weak attempt at trash talking after was was the same garbage WWE crap he always spews

Even the ghost of Fedor would destroy him

What "fight" did you watch. He landed nothing of consequence. Every time Wand touched him he was wobbling. Then his weak attempt at trash talking after was was the same garbage WWE crap he always spews

Even the ghost of Fedor would destroy him

Not even going to waste my time recounting the fight. You're just wrong. Adios.

Not even going to waste my time recounting the fight. You're just wrong. Adios.

I just got done watching it 5 minutes ago don't need you to recap anything. Wand could of gone 20 rounds of that Chael gassed laying on him

Go eat your avatar and I'll do the same

Wand left a sour taste when he started to shove Chael after the final bell. He lost a one sided fight. At least pay the man a little respect.

wanderlei has the emotional maturity of a ronda rousey. what a sad, sad person he's become. sad.

Wand has always had problems with wrestlers but I was impressed with Wanderlei because he seemed to be his old self and landed some big shots against Chael that he surprisingly ate.

So classy he shoved him after the fight

Wand didn't make many attempts to get up, he was trying more to stop from being punched and get a standup

That's fine, but don't act like you were willing to take risks or did everything you could

Back