walking with heavy dumbbells has any benefits at all?

How long runs and how heavy dumbells?

I assume he's trolling. But I wouldn't put it past anyone in the main to run with dumbbells for explosive gains.

How long runs and how heavy dumbells?
As heavy as you can without tipping over, then just sprint around. Don't run in straight lines either, use angles, it'll shock your body more for growth.

As heavy as you can without tipping over, then just sprint around. Don't run in straight lines either, use angles, it'll shock your body more for growth.

Muscle confusion has been debunked and I've read plenty of Dassuzo to know that running with dumbbells is stupid. Why not ankle or wrist weights to alleviate hand cramping? He's made these small wheel inner tube concrete weights that can slip on and off ankles and wrists with ease.

It's ok I do my carries over head instead. It keeps my shoulders safe, but occasionally I drop a 40 kg kettlebell on my head. (Only once...)

It really causes confusion and not just muscle confusion.
Atleast my shoulders are protected # FARMERCARRYZ4LYFE

I just completed a 75 minute Heavy Hands and Macebell aerobic workout. I used 4lb hand weights and a 10lb macebell. I have certain exercises I use when I do the heavy hands work that gets my heart rate into the 130-150bpm zone. I've been messing with carrying the macebell at different positions while walking getting that isometric work while moving. It allows to go longer without having to put the weight down like heavier carries.

The good thing about this type of training for an older guy like me is that it does not beat my feet and ankles to death like running does while I get the same results. I think that cardiovascular work that involves your arms heavily like heavy hands, airdyne, swimming, and crawling gives the the best bang for the buck.

Yeah I appreciate that. Im kinda puzzled by the fact that nobody can see the logic. And its not like im guaranteeing injury. Its just like any other movement that is kinda on the margins of being dangerous. You will probably get away with it if you do it, but that is a testament to the resilience of the tendon/muscle, its not an indication that the logic is wrong.

I definitely see the logic. The supraspinatus muscle is stretched when the humerus is depressed as in a heavy farmer's walk. Without any load it would be stretched in an adducted position and less in an abducted position. An abducted position could put the muscle in a position that is shortened or slightly more lax so that the humeral depression is what is stretching this muscle as opposed to the muscle being stretched from both the adduction and humeral depression.

The question now is: how much adduction and or abduction of the humerus will be the safest position to do a farmers walk and or numbers of incidence of injury even in positions that are NOT optimal.

Louie Simmons talks about having fighters walk around his gym while carrying weights. Here's the video of Louie explaining it but unfortunately I have a hard time hearing him clearly. It starts around 3:18 mark

I definitely see the logic. The supraspinatus muscle is stretched when the humerus is depressed as in a heavy farmer's walk. Without any load it would be stretched in an adducted position and less in an abducted position. An abducted position could put the muscle in a position that is shortened or slightly more lax so that the humeral depression is what is stretching this muscle as opposed to the muscle being stretched from both the adduction and humeral depression.

The question now is: how much adduction and or abduction of the humerus will be the safest position to do a farmers walk and or numbers of incidence of injury even in positions that are NOT optimal.
It doesn't REALLY make sense though as to why the supraspinatus would be more compromised than the delts when you look at the insertions, attachment and line of direction of them as well. Nevermind that the supraspinatus is also strecthed more during adduction, as you say.

If your shoulders are packed I don't see physiologically how carries would directly harm the supraspinatus. Slight depression is actually not bad for the shoulder and everything would be working, including the delts, lats and rotator cuff muscles.

If you start abduction the glenuhumeral joint then your shoulder is actually in a more compromised position carrying anything. I get the theory of how the supraspinatus would be shortened, but in reality I don't think it makes sense.

A shoulder width, or whatever feels comfortable, grip should suffice imo.

coronal_force_couple%281%29.jpg

You are looking at this from a deltoid vs supraspinatus standpoint. I think that there may be a difference based on origin insertion and line of pull, look at this rendition of the shoulder at neutral, can you tell that one initial line of pull is horizontal and the other vertical? It does make sense that they might not respond in the same way to a load. As to the question of whether this hypothesis holds is another story. These muscles seem more different than the similar I think.

I'd like to look further into it and read actual clinical studies on this difference.

coronal_force_couple%281%29.jpg

You are looking at this from a deltoid vs supraspinatus standpoint. I think that there may be a difference based on origin insertion and line of pull, look at this rendition of the shoulder at neutral, can you tell that one initial line of pull is horizontal and the other vertical? It does make sense that they might not respond in the same way to a load. As to the question of whether this hypothesis holds is another story. These muscles seem more different than the similar I think.

I'd like to look further into it and read actual clinical studies on this difference.
That's a pretty bad illustration, these are a little better:
shoulder_anatomy_muscles02.jpg
f9908b10d14cbeff9107341aae1a1d9b.jpg
huge.101.507008.JPG

There is a more vertical line of pull when you include the anterior and post. part of the delts. They are definitely stronger muscles though, so there is that. Still there are many more muscles that work in stabilising the caput, including lats, biceps, other rotator cuff muscles and let's not forget the fibrous and connective tissue.

I understand the hypothesis, it could be, but I don't see any evidence for it. Might be that excessive carrying leads to a more downwardly rotated scapula and in turn can cause some problems with overhead work, and impingement/supraspinatus, if not balanced out. On the other side depression of the glenohumeral joint can often alleviates impingement.

Don't know man, definitely not ironclad. Sounds a little far fetched, but I might be wrong!

Great point about the humeral depression. I think the bottom line is it is simply best to do farmer's walks with a trap bar or some other apparatus that puts a little space in between the torso and the arm. The exercise loses absolutely no effectiveness and its much safer.

Back