walking with heavy dumbbells has any benefits at all?

You don't have to show me any picture I know the anatomy of the supraspinatus very well. The deltoids also origin from the clavicle and the acromion, that was my poiint. Them being strong, or whatever, just means that they stabilize and carry the majority of the load. The supraspinatus is not in a stretched position while carrying, even without abduction.

I don't agree that the position is contraindicative at all. Is there any evidence of that being the case? Do you have any clinical experience of that? Feel free to link some stuff as well, thanks.
Its something I encountered a lot when I was working in a PT office. If u disagree you disagree. Its not really a matter of opinion but Ive kinda said all I have to say on it.

Its something I encountered a lot when I was working in a PT office. If u disagree you disagree. Its not really a matter of opinion but Ive kinda said all I have to say on it.
You encountered a lot of tears or other shoulder problems from carries? I've never seen it.

You encountered a lot of tears or other shoulder problems from carries? I've never seen it.
It was a contraindicated movement I learned about in school. And then when I was working in a PT office and would go over history of the injury (howd it happen, where does it hurt, etc) I encountered a lot of movers and guys from other occupations with pain in the supra insertion area that did a hell of a lot more heavy carrying and really no overhead work. They usually had no pain when putting load on the biceps origin and no pain when they abducted and externally rotated their arms under load but a lot of pain when you applied resistance to them performing abduction from the starting position. You may know that the first few degrees of arm abduction (a lateral raise) is almost all supraspinatus, the deltoids don't kick in until about 45 degrees. And then with my curiosity peaked and eventually going back to school I actually wrote a paper on it.

It was a contraindicated movement I learned about in school. And then when I was working in a PT office and would go over history of the injury (howd it happen, where does it hurt, etc) I encountered a lot of movers and guys from other occupations with pain in the supra insertion area that did a hell of a lot more heavy carrying and really no overhead work. They usually had no pain when putting load on the biceps origin and no pain when they abducted and externally rotated their arms under load but a lot of pain when you applied resistance to them performing abduction from the starting position. You may know that the first few degrees of arm abduction (a lateral raise) is almost all supraspinatus, the deltoids don't kick in until about 45 degrees. And then with my curiosity peaked and eventually going back to school I actually wrote a paper on it.
Interesting. Again, I've never experienced it being a problem. Well, supraspinatus and abduction pain and impingement obviously, but not caused by carrying. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Interesting. Again, I've never experienced it being a problem. Well, supraspinatus and abduction pain and impingement obviously, but not caused by carrying. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Its not a problem for most lifters. At least not the kind of supra pain we're talking about. But farmers walks are one way to load that position with more weight than any other movement. And so often I see people doing internal/external rotation exercises with their upper arm glued to their side and I cringe.

Its not a problem for most lifters. At least not the kind of supra pain we're talking about. But farmers walks are one way to load that position with more weight than any other movement. And so often I see people doing internal/external rotation exercises with their upper arm glued to their side and I cringe.
I'm gonna fuck my shoulders up just to spite you.

ive done farmer carries with my bodyweight in each hand and never torn the toytasupraspinaltap or whatever it is you're making up

ive done farmer carries with my bodyweight in each hand and never torn the toytasupraspinaltap or whatever it is you're making up
He obviously doesn't want us to get yoked.

Fucking saboteur.

Well I'm going to do farmers walks with dumbells because it works my forearms better than with a trap bar. I don't go extremely heavy so this shouldn't even be a problem for me.

But honestly that's interesting dsdoubled. No matter what people say that's good looking out for people with toyota supra spinosis injuries

I don't see evidence for that either clinically or anatomically. Why do you cringe when you see someone doing rotator cuff exercises without shoulder abduction, and what's the correlation with doing carries without abduction?

I've carried a 40 pound sand bag around the block before. You're holding it much differently than a pair of dumbbells. It doesn't seem like a lot of weight at first, but when you're not putting it down for 15 minutes......with the way the weight shifts around being sand .....you really feel it in all sorts of muscles, particularly in your traps and shoulders. Not so much a grip training exercise the way I did it, but it could easily be converted into one. by how you hang onto the bag (I put the sandbag inside of a bag I bought at a military surplus store). Holding a military cloth bag using your grip would likely be more brutal/challenging.

Have you ever tried to do uneven farmer's carries with one dumbbell significantly heavier than the other and then switch hands?

Is your paper published? If so, please post.

Well I'm going to do farmers walks with dumbells because it works my forearms better than with a trap bar. I don't go extremely heavy so this shouldn't even be a problem for me.

But honestly that's interesting dsdoubled. No matter what people say that's good looking out for people with toyota supra spinosis injuries
Yeah I appreciate that. Im kinda puzzled by the fact that nobody can see the logic. And its not like im guaranteeing injury. Its just like any other movement that is kinda on the margins of being dangerous. You will probably get away with it if you do it, but that is a testament to the resilience of the tendon/muscle, its not an indication that the logic is wrong.

Can you bench it?
Indeed I can. Most Ive ever managed was 365 for a double but that was my 20 year old best. Now honestly 275 would be pushing the limits.

Back