walking with heavy dumbbells has any benefits at all?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by nastyElbows also avirgin, Jun 27, 2017.

1. nastyElbows also avirgin Yellow Belt

nastyElbows also avirgin
    i mean just walking without lunge

it's a very relaxing exercise,i am not sure if it's good or not.

2. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    If you're relaxed during a farmer's walk, you're likely doing it wrong.

Black Paladin, j123, powerBJJ and 9 others like this.
  3. nastyElbows also avirgin Yellow Belt

nastyElbows also avirgin
    wow it's called a farmer's walk.

on leg day between sets,i find myself walking with heavy dumbbells without a purpose. it for some reason relaxes my whole body.

Palis likes this.
  4. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Oh. Well a farmer's walk is a sick yoke building, core smashing, leg pumping, man-making, soul stealing, no fucks giving exercise.

5. Midnighter Black Belt

Midnighter
    How heavy are the dumbbells?

6. nastyElbows also avirgin Yellow Belt

nastyElbows also avirgin

i guess 30 kg each dumbbell ,sometimes 20kg

dumbbells i use doing lunges on leg day

7. Midnighter Black Belt

Midnighter
    Oh...use heavier dumbbells.

8. deadshot138 Brown Belt

deadshot138
    Farmers walks suck ass when you're doing them right

9. Twelve75 Black Belt

Twelve75
    Try it with 50's

10. RawHawg Brown Belt

RawHawg
    The guy with the strongest grip strength I ever met told me walking with heavy dumbbells (100lbs and up) was his favorite and most productive exercise for grip strength. He said he would walk as far as possible from his house with them until he dropped them in fatigue, then would pick them up and carry them back no matter how many times he dropped them on the way back. I witnessed this guy no set closing and loudly clicking an ironmind #3 gripper for multiple reps in a row.

11. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    I would use a trap bar instead. Holding and especially walking with very heavy dumbbells can actually jack up your rotator cuff over time, the supraspinatus specifically. Because of where that muscle originates and inserts, holding heavy dumbbells with your upper arms glued tight to your torso will have a stretching effect on the supraspinatus. The trap bar will provide a bit of space between your upper arms and your torso and still provide all of the same benefits.

12. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    Can this be avoided carrying one db at a time? Since you're going to be leaning a bit...

13. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    Have you considered that the caput is kept in the socket even while holding heavy dumbbells and being supported by other muscles, and that any effect on the supraspinatus might be minimal?

Palis likes this.
  14. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    No. If you have no choice but to use dumbbells and really want to do the exercise your best bet is to just try to focus on retracting your shoulder blades back and slightly up and maintaining that position throughout. It will take the stress off the supraspinatus a bit.

JosephDredd likes this.
  15. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Not really. I wasn't suggesting that dislocation or even subluxation would be the problem. But this supraspinatus stretching effect is something that is relatively easy to avoid but something most trainers do not consider. A supraspinatus tear is a real bitch and will lead to other impingement type injuries on top of it so its just best to avoid.

16. LatFlare EADC

LatFlare
    Great idea!

17. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    No, it turned out that it wasn't.

18. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    It doesn't really make sense. I mean, have you ever heard of someone tearing their supraspinatus from carrying dumbbells? How is the stretch any more prevelant than the deltoids, if you are talking about muscles that attach at the proximal part of the humerus? Supraspinatus isn't stretched in a carry position.

19. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    It makes sense if youre familiar with the concept. Its not necessarily that theyd tear the supraspinatus while doing dumbbell farmers walks, its more often the straw that gives the camel the back ache and then some kind of overhead move or impingement condition that breaks the camels back. Its simple, why not avoid all contraindicated positions? As for the deltoid comparison, it has zero bearing on this topic. The deltoids are big, strong muscles (especially relative to the supraspinatus) with completely different origins and insertions. The condition Im talking about can be exacerbated or mitigated depending on factors like clavicle width, balance in the shoulder girdle, angle of the scapula, and degree of hooking of the acromion. But in general this position we are talking about is best avoided. Its the same reason you should only do internal or external rotations with a towel, bottle or foam block between the upper arm and torso to create space.
    [​IMG]
    Look at the insertion point and then consider what would happen if the humerus was pulled down and in tight to the torso, especially under heavy load. Obviously there is muscle and tissue for a bit of added space but the skeletal model presents a clear case for what we are talking about, even if a bit exaggerated. Its a chronic type injury so its not going to be a problem in any acute type situation. You would be able to tell that this particular movement caused/contributed to the injury simply by looking at where the tearing is. A typical supraspinatus injury will show the majority of the tearing under the acromion. This type of supraspinatus injury would tear more distally.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  20. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    You don't have to show me any picture I know the anatomy of the supraspinatus very well. The deltoids also origin from the clavicle and the acromion, that was my poiint. Them being strong, or whatever, just means that they stabilize and carry the majority of the load. The supraspinatus is not in a stretched position while carrying, even without abduction.

I don't agree that the position is contraindicative at all. Is there any evidence of that being the case? Do you have any clinical experience of that? Feel free to link some stuff as well, thanks.