Walgreens, CVS and Rite-Aid lose $12 billion in value after Amazon buys online pharmacy PillPack

So, and that makes it ok? We should use Walmart as our guide?

I'm saying that the ship has sailed and consumers have made their choices, and we will see if something like pre-packed pills are something that consumers want to pay more for, and, more importantly, if insurance companies will pay more for. This service seems like something that could really benefit seniors who don't have family members helping them manage their multiple medications (back in 2008 or so I read an article that your average senior was taking 5 different medications) leading to better compliance and fewer errors.

I work for one of he largest heath orgs in the world. As long as I buy drugs on our formulary they are 10 bucks or less normally. So I view amazon entering this space as the same thing. I see no problem

Those competitors will soon no longer exist. They weren't even competitors until the other day. You really think fuckin Rite Aid is a competitor to Amazon? lol.

Think about how small the pharmacy section of a Rite Aid/Walgreens/CVS is compared to the larger store, the pharmacy is the anchor, which is why Walmart, Target, Costco, and regular grocery stores, etc., have put pharmacies in their stores to get people into to their stores where they will do more extensive shopping. Those stores sell almost everything, plus alcohol and cigarettes, and put a lot of mom and pop stores out of business and a lot of specialty stores out of business on their way to national domination. The internet though has changed the battlefield, and like any product, whomever better provides what consumers want is going to be the king of the mountain. Personally, the idea of not having to drive to the pharmacy, and not having to wait in line at the pharmacy (around people with bacterial infections coughing and sneezing on me as they wait for their antibiotics, and behind people ignorant of the limits of their pharmacy insurance who want to argue with the pharm techs about intractable insurance rules that the pharm techs can do nothing about), and not having to wait to talk to a pharmacist who is required by law to talk to me like I'm retarded, sounds pretty damn good.

Furthermore. Express Scripts has already been doing pharmacy online for years, and other insurance companies have been direct shipping medications for chronic conditions for a long time, both bypassing brick and mortar pharmacy giants. Amazon is smart to get a piece of this huge market that insurance companies and others are trying to take over.

I'm saying that the ship has sailed and consumers have made their choices, and we will see if something like pre-packed pills are something that consumers want to pay more for, and, more importantly, if insurance companies will pay more for. This service seems like something that could really benefit seniors who don't have family members helping them manage their multiple medications (back in 2008 or so I read an article that your average senior was taking 5 different medications) leading to better compliance and fewer errors.

You lost me at the lazy and empty free market argument. People made their choices. It is a religion. The invisible hand of capitalism will sort out all things. Trite shit. And what your entire argument boils down to.

Look at the working conditions of Amazon workers.

You lost me at the lazy and empty free market argument. People made their choices. It is a religion. The invisible hand of capitalism will sort out all things. Trite shit. And what your entire argument boils down to.

Look at the working conditions of Amazon workers.

The free market is the playing field, it is what it is. Plus, your argument falls apart when you act like these huge corporations are little compound pharmacies, or extensions of not for profit hospitals that are the businesses at risk to big bad Amazon. If working at Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, and Target etc., is so great, why don't the Amazon employees go work there, one of them is certainly close by and hiring? And aren't you a Trump guy, if you are concerned about working conditions, how did Gorsuch taking Garland's spot on the SCOTUS work out for workers against big bad companies like Amazon?

Back