Volkan Calls Out Gus AGAIN..Ariel Helwani - 'I've Tried To Reach Out To Alex, Have Heard Nothing'

Is volkan top 10?

If so then there's no way Gus will fight him

the gus fight is the fight to make and if volkan wants to stay active he can fight osp shogun winner for the next #1 and hopefully he wins. if he loses that he wasnt ready for a shot anyways

just a quick reminder that TS is a blind jones nuthugger that is obviously scared that the gus rematch ever happens

Gus has more than earned his rematch with Jones. It is just plain silly to waste two title contenders on each other. Especially when Jones/Gustafsson II is by far the most interesting match up

It feels like DeJaVu.

I remember when the Chris should've been the next fight for Silva, there were an army of people giving excuses why Silva shouldn't fight Chris. People were reaching so far for reasons why Silva should fight Cung Le, etc...

Why is Gus so afraid of him?
Is it mental weakness?

I don't know why so many people like gus. He won't fight a top guy like volkan because he know he will probably get knocked out,

Look at this fucked up situation

Jon Jones now wants money fights, he deserves one at this point if he wants it

Gus wants to fight Jones only and will definitely duck volkan

Volkan wants to fight top contender like gus but gus wants to fight Jones only for belt.

Ufc and dana will need to step in eventually. I see Jones taking a money fight with perhaps Brock in future and gus will be forced to fight volkan. This is the scenario I hope for...

No idea how everyone thinks gus deserves shot.. he got dominated clearly by the top 2 guys anthony and DC, then wins a shitty decision against Jan and knocks out a shot glover. For fucks sake. Gus knows this will probably be his only shot before he gets beat up again and goes back to the end of the line

UFC brass would have to be infinitely more retarded than they clearly are to not make a Jones/Brock fight. That's a HUGE fight by MMA standards, so I stand with you on your assessment of Jones/Brock and Gus/Volkan.

Why anyone would want to put another Gus fight in front of a fight with Brock is beyond me. Even though... well, he's Brock... a W over that man will have EVERYONE talking about Jones being an unquestionable champ at HW, and if that happens, then shit, Jones won't have a rematch with Gus, which is okay - he won the first fight, despite how close it was, and he'd probably train like a lunatic for the rematch and look more dominant - he'll instead find himself matched up with Stipe for the title. Stipe gets more exposure than he's EVER had the chance at, Jones gets a chance to become a 2-division champ. Everyone wins there. Except Gus of course, and I'm not heart broken that a guy on a 2-fight win streak doesn't get a second crack at the 205 title (Gus can obviously get right into a title fight for the vacated belt, anyway).

Don't know why Gus is so scared tbh.

Oezdemir is doing what he's supposed to do. He's on a hot streak and short of being able to get the title fight, he's calling out the only guy that might be in his way for the shot. His profile is higher now than his whole career. Now is the time to get your name out there as much as you can.

I do not expect Gus to take this fight unless the UFC absolutely required it. I'm sure Gus realizes he has the inside track on the next shot once people really start looking at the time and the process surrounding Lesnar v Jones.

Not much else to see here. Moving on

Gus will try to get the belt fight.

In the entire mighty UFC LHW division Jones has 2 names left Gus and Volkan that I shit you not we have sherdog members with more twitter followers then him, no one freaking knows him he needs more fights, more exposure don't go by rankings.. UFC sure won't.

The Brock fight is not realistic even if everyone wants it and the negotiations go perfectly we are still 6-7 months away.

So Jones vs Gus is next unless Jones really doesn't want to fight him again.

Volkan relax bro and fight some grapplers you sure as hell will need the extra experience.
Truth. But hey man, if gus doesn't wanna fight him then he should campaign for the title shot, he beat the guy who was next in line, manuwa, in mer seconds so he should go for it

Gus won't even take Volkan's calls? Sad. Alex is clearly not confident in his abilities. No way he beats Jones with that kind of attitude.

Never fault a fighter near a title shot for wanting the title fight over a #1 contender fight. As long as Jones is fighting in the near future, Gus will wait.

Truth. But hey man, if gus doesn't wanna fight him then he should campaign for the title shot, he beat the guy who was next in line, manuwa, in mer seconds so he should go for it

Yea but if you are Jones (that doesn't even want NY because he has to pay 9% of his many millions that he earns = he is looking to make $) and the WME / IMG that run the UFC now and you want a guy with less then 5 k twitter followers fighting for a belt ? I'm serious social media followers count more in their eyes then rankings at the end of the day.

Pathetic that Gus will just ride the coat tails of his own LOSS against Jones to get that easy title shot.
Beating Glover was a good argument too.
Now it seems everyone on Sherdog is shitting on Glover saying he was shot, but before that fight a lot of sherdoggers were betting on him to win.
He was ranked #3 before that fight (DC 1. Rumble 2. Gus 3. Glover 4. Bader 5. Manuwa)
And was the only high ranked opponent Gus could've proved himself against.
(With Bader and Rumble gone, and Gus already having wins over Manuwa and Shogun)

And it also relative.
Besides Gus - who is there? Sure, Volkan is rising but he'll surely get a shot later.
The question is if we really need/want a title eliminator right now in such a shallow division?

Last edited:
"Hi you've reached Alexander Gustaffson, I am away from my phone and busy getting ready for my title fight rematch with Jon Jones" That's the voicemail that Volkan is getting and not rearing back

Gus did not earn his first title fight, jones choose to fight him over other ranked LHWs. There were debates on whether Gus truly deserved the first fight, when it came up. He did a good job in the fight but at some point after pulling out of a jones rematch because of an injury, you no longer have claim to this owed title shot status. There is no one else to fight at LHW so Gus would be the next logical fight but he is not owed the fight.

I also don't know what kind of fighters make comments about making a road tougher for a champion, while making it easier for themselves. The Cormier and Gus statements are dubious. I understand why jones is champion and Gus and Cormier are not.

Last edited:
Back