Vitaly Minakov training at American top team

I'd pick Minakov to beat Lewis in 8/10 fights. Lewis sux and people are afraid to say that because hes in the UFC. If he was in Bellator people on this forum would call him a bum.

Lewis does kind of suck; I agree. And sure, a lot of UFC heavyweights are very limited, with a sliver of the talent their lower weight fighters possess. But Lewis has tremendous punching power, decent boxing, and is difficult to take down. Sometimes that's all you need in the heavyweight division.

DJ Linderman sucks much worse than Lewis does, yet he almost knocked out Minakov a little over a year ago. That's a very concerning fight for anyone who thinks Minakov cuts through all the UFC contenders.

Lewis does kind of suck; I agree. And sure, a lot of UFC heavyweights are very limited, with a sliver of the talent their lower weight fighters possess. But Lewis has tremendous punching power, decent boxing, and is difficult to take down. Sometimes that's all you need in the heavyweight division.

DJ Linderman sucks much worse than Lewis does, yet he almost knocked out Minakov a little over a year ago. That's a very concerning fight for anyone who thinks Minakov cuts through all the UFC contenders.

Shit happens. Prime GSP tapped to strikes to LW journeyman Matt Serra.

That's why I said 8/10 fights.

Minakov has more skill than Lewis and is tough enough to apply it imo.

Shit happens. Prime GSP tapped to strikes to LW journeyman Matt Serra.

Wrong. GSP didn't tap; the referee stopped it.

Also, Serra was not a "journeyman" unless you define journeyman as anyone outside the top 3, as Serra was a perennial top 10 and probably even top 5 during the 2002-2005 period when he fought at lightweight. (Oh, and he dominated a top lightweight of that period, Yves Edwards, at UFC 33 at welterweight)

Mixfight said:
Minakov has more skill than Lewis and is tough enough to apply it imo.

This is not any kind of serious fight analysis. "Toughness" is a largely irrelevant metric, since everyone at this level is tough. And if "skill" were the sole determining factor in heavyweight fights, Brock Lesnar would have never won the UFC heavyweight championship and knocked out Randy Couture or Frank Mir. And N'Gannou wouldn't have had a prayer against Arlovski and Overeem.

Wrong. GSP didn't tap; the referee stopped it.

Also, Serra was not a "journeyman" unless you define journeyman as anyone outside the top 3, as Serra was a perennial top 10 and probably even top 5 during the 2002-2005 period when he fought at lightweight. (Oh, and he dominated a top lightweight of that period, Yves Edwards, at UFC 33 at welterweight)

This is not any kind of serious fight analysis. "Toughness" is a largely irrelevant metric, since everyone at this level is tough. And if "skill" were the sole determining factor in heavyweight fights, Brock Lesnar would have never won the UFC heavyweight championship and knocked out Randy Couture or Frank Mir. And N'Gannou wouldn't have had a prayer against Arlovski and Overeem.

Lol Serra was a journeyman. He got ktfo by spinning back fist from bum ass journeyman shonie carter.

And skills sometimes come up short when a fighter isnt tough enough to absorb punishment and apply them.

I could be wrong but I think Minakov is tough enough to apply his skills on Lewis.

Lol Serra was a journeyman. He got ktfo by spinning back fist from bum ass journeyman shonie carter.

You can literally use this "logic" to dismiss virtually every single fighter of that period.

Pat Miletich? Lost to "journeymen" Kiyoshi Tamura and Carlos Newton.

Matt Hughes? Lost to "journeyman" Denis Hallman twice and his first fight against Newton should have been a NC, as he was choked out.

Randy Couture? Lost to one-dimensional journeymen Valentin Overeem, Enson Inou, and Mikhail Iluokhine outside the UFC, AND then lost to Ricco Rodriguez in the UFC.

Chuck Liddell? Got BS decisions that he should have lost to "journeyman" Noe Hernandez and aging 185 pound Murilo Bustamente, beaten by "journeyman" Jeremy Horn.

I guess anyone and everyone was a "journeyman" back then!

Obviously, this is a silly, meaningless way to analyze fighters and their skills.

You can literally use this "logic" to dismiss virtually every single fighter of that period.

Pat Miletich? Lost to "journeymen" Kiyoshi Tamura and Carlos Newton.

Matt Hughes? Lost to "journeyman" Denis Hallman twice and his first fight against Newton should have been a NC, as he was choked out.

Randy Couture? Lost to one-dimensional journeymen Valentin Overeem, Enson Inou, and Mikhail Iluokhine outside the UFC, AND then lost to Ricco Rodriguez in the UFC.

Chuck Liddell? Got BS decisions that he should have lost to "journeyman" Noe Hernandez and aging 185 pound Murilo Bustamente, beaten by "journeyman" Jeremy Horn.

I guess anyone and everyone was a "journeyman" back then!

Obviously, this is a silly, meaningless way to analyze fighters and their skills.

I was giving you a taste of your own medicine for saying Minakov got rocked by a journeyman but I guess it went over your head...

I was giving you a taste of your own medicine for saying Minakov got rocked by a journeyman but I guess it went over your head...

And Minakov is a damn good fighter, regardless. But you have to consider a recent fight where he got hit and hurt by a mediocre striker. And that wasn't the first time, either.

And Minakov is a damn good fighter, regardless. But you have to consider a recent fight where he got hit and hurt by a mediocre striker. And that wasn't the first time, either.
So did Fedor against Fujita, who sure, was a better fighter than Linderman, but still wasn't world class lv. The truth is Minakov has said many times he wasn't training motivated for that fight, probably underestimated how tough Linderman would be.. at the end of the day, it's heavyweight, one punch can change the whole fight..

I'd be pretty confident to say that Minakov beats Lewis at least 6/10 times. Probably 8/10. Lewis really sucks. Watch that Tybura fight again and tell me he'd beat Minakov.. nah, no way.

So did Fedor against Fujita, who sure, was a better fighter than Linderman, but still wasn't world class lv. The truth is Minakov has said many times he wasn't training motivated for that fight, probably underestimated how tough Linderman would be.. at the end of the day, it's heavyweight, one punch can change the whole fight..

I'd be pretty confident to say that Minakov beats Lewis at least 6/10 times. Probably 8/10. Lewis really sucks. Watch that Tybura fight again and tell me he'd beat Minakov.. nah, no way.

I agree with most of your analysis, but what was the ultimate result of that Lewis-Tybura fight? Lewis won by knockout.

As for Lewis sucking, when has that ever stood in the way of a heavyweight being successful? Lesnar sucked, yet he became world champion and knocked out Couture and MIr in the process. Tim Sylvia sucked, yet he was on and off-again UFC heavyweight champion for years on end.

I agree with most of your analysis, but what was the ultimate result of that Lewis-Tybura fight? Lewis won by knockout.

As for Lewis sucking, when has that ever stood in the way of a heavyweight being successful? Lesnar sucked, yet he became world champion and knocked out Couture and MIr in the process. Tim Sylvia sucked, yet he was on and off-again UFC heavyweight champion for years on end.
Lesnar became world champion when most of the top heavyweights were outside UFC, many in Strikeforce and some coming up in the rankings as JDS and Cain.. Lesnar beat a old as fuck and undersized Randy, not impressive, not at all.. Mir is a ok win, but dude was inconsistent as fuck. Sylvia was the champion when the top heavyweights were on PRIDE, also semi-irrelevant.

Lesnar became world champion when most of the top heavyweights were outside UFC, many in Strikeforce and some coming up in the rankings as JDS and Cain.. Lesnar beat a old as fuck and undersized Randy, not impressive, not at all.. Mir is a ok win, but dude was inconsistent as fuck. Sylvia was the champion when the top heavyweights were on PRIDE, also semi-irrelevant.

Utterly irrelevant.

The point is both Lesnar and Sylvia beat great fighters, had tremendous success, and were considered top 5 heavyweights despite "sucking".

Utterly irrelevant.

The point is both Lesnar and Sylvia beat great fighters, had tremendous success, and were considered top 5 heavyweights despite "sucking".
I don't think any of them were top 5 at any point in MMA history but ok, agree to disagree.

I don't think any of them were top 5 at any point in MMA history but ok, agree to disagree.

Then you obviously weren't a MMA fan back in 2003-2006 or even 2008-2009.

Whether you "think" they were ever top 5 or not doesn't change the fact that both were considered such by damn near every publication and fan then, EVEN those who felt they were overrated, myself included.

just to keep things interesting: in his interviews in last week Miakov mentioned Barnett at least three times, and in most recent one said that one of a promotions he's negotiating with now is not RCC or FNG.

i don't see how it contradicts with what i said
Well looks like Minakov himself is interested but he is not sure that this fight is gonna happen and that any fight in October is gonna happen.

Back