Vitali Klitschko : I'd knock Joshua out!

treelo

//Do something here
@red
Reaction score
Vitali Klitschko hopes to one day avenge his brother Wladimir's defeat by Anthony Joshua, claiming even at 46 he could knock Britain's unified heavyweight world champion out.

Joshua climbed off the canvas to stop Klitschko in the 11th round of their April Wembley blockbuster to send the 41-year-old into retirement.

Vitali worked his brother's corner that night and advised him against pushing for a knockout after he had floored Joshua in round six.

1674711300000514-4958310-image-a-56_1507379720000.jpg

+5
Vitali Klitschko wants the chance to avenge his brother Wladimir's defeat by Anthony Joshua

1674107900000514-4958310-image-a-57_1507379723638.jpg

+5
Vitali advised his brother against pushing too hard for a knockout after he floored Joshua

451EFF6100000578-4958310-image-a-58_1507380014379.jpg

+5
The 46-year-old said: 'If I didn't tell him to stop, then Wladimir might have knocked him out'

But after 'AJ' found a second wind and won the fight, the elder Klitschko - a former WBO and WBC heavyweight king - wants the chance to make up for his own misjudgement.

'I feel a bit guilty, because I told Wladimir in the corner please don't be so active in round number six when Wladimir sent Joshua to the floor,' he told FightHubTV.

'I didn't expect such a big-muscled athlete to recover. I was surprised, Joshua recovered so fast and stopped Wladimir. If I didn't tell him to stop, then Wladimir might have knocked him out, six or maybe round number seven,' he added

'A fight against Joshua is my best wish. I have a feeling I can do it better, I have to fight Joshua and bring back the belt to the family.'

451F001E00000578-4958310-image-a-59_1507380148999.jpg

+5
Vitali stopped Corrie Sanders in 2004, a year after the South African had beaten Wladimir

451F218700000578-4958310-image-a-82_1507382887801.jpg

Between them, the two Klitschko brothers ruled the heavyweight division for several years

Vitali has not fought since beating Manuel Charr in 2012 and now works as the Mayor of Kiev in his native Ukraine.

Despite training twice a week and missing boxing 'very much', the 46-year-old accepts that his current responsibilities make a return to the ring impossible.

But Vitali stopped Corrie Sanders in 2004, a year after the South African had beaten Wladimir. And the Ukrainian believes he could the same to Joshua, who he feels has much left to prove before he can be crowned the best heavyweight on the planet.

'In the position I have right now, I don't have the chance to come back to fight Joshua but I feel like if I went inside the ring, I'd knock him out,' he said.

'Wladimir was, for a long time, the best heavyweight in the world. Joshua stopped him and who stopped the best automatically is the best. But was it just a lucky night for Joshua? He can prove himself in the next couple of fights.'

I'll agree.

Never been floored.

Never exhausted himself due to throwing arm-punches.

I see him KOing Joshua late

At 46 he’s getting knocked out by Joshua, and thats nailed on. He would be half the fighter he was if he came back now

Vitali is too old at 46 to make a comeback after not having fought for so long. But if someone could potentially take Joshua's power it's him, or, was him when he was active. He's likely testing the waters here to see what Joshua says, if anything.

Vitali hasnt had a tough figt since he lost to Lewis, about 15 years ago

Its a really bad idea as he was never the biggest puncher in the world either, and if Joshua can take Wlads best shot flush, then Vitali isnt troubling him

If Vitali wants to make his comeback then he should be aiming for Tyson Fury, a guy he'd have a much better chance of actually beating. Fury's obviously been inactive himself (though not this long) and is a fat slob at the moment. He just called out Vitali over Twitter so he's at least pretending to be interested in that fight. Vitali needs to find room in his schedule and Tyson needs to get licensed again. Some still view Tyson as the true (lineal) champion including The Ring. Vitali would take the fight to him unlike Wlad, both would get paid and he could try to avenge that L on his bro's record. Works out well for them both.

Last edited:
Vitali shouldn't come back but probably could. He could get Russian grade PEDs so I don't think age is as much of a factor. My biggest question is why? He is on the decline, all the young guys are on the rise, and what does he have to prove. Go do BJJ or something where people aren't physically trying to wreck you if you want to compete in old age.

I think it was right to hold back Vlad. He was gassing as it was. A more experienced fighter shouldn't be betting on a knockout and risking losing the fight gassing. That is something a young fighter does since they aren't as experienced or skilled.

That is some action movie plot stuff right there.

I hope he stays retired but I would give him a decent shot if they actually got in the ring. His chin was ridiculous.

Vitali Klitschko was an extremely efficient heavyweight, all things considered.
I'd pick him to beat Joshua, even his 2008-2010 version.

Vitali Klitschko was an extremely efficient heavyweight, all things considered.
I'd pick him to beat Joshua, even his 2008-2010 version.

He's talking about fighting him now

He's talking about fighting him now

He's jus being confident, what's he supposed to say? - "I'm too old, Joshua beats me".

I think he'd get in the ring with Joshua if it wasn't for politics, and he'd give him a better fight than Eric Molina or Kubrat Pulev.

He's jus being confident, what's he supposed to say? - "I'm too old, Joshua beats me".

I think he'd get in the ring with Joshua if it wasn't for politics, and he'd give him a better fight than Eric Molina or Kubrat Pulev.

Molina yes, Pulev perhaps

He wouldnt give him a better fight than Vitali did though, he was imobile back in the day and relied on his gameness and toughness, how much of the toughness still exists after more than a decade after his last competetive fight you would find out as soon as he started being hit those big shots Joshua likes to let go

Molina yes, Pulev perhaps

He wouldnt give him a better fight than Vitali did though, he was imobile back in the day and relied on his gameness and toughness, how much of the toughness still exists after more than a decade after his last competetive fight you would find out as soon as he started being hit those big shots Joshua likes to let go

I can see Joshua getting the job done at this point with his heavy blows. There's no man on the planet who's in the best shape of his life at 46.

yeah, i meant Wlad in my post

If Joshua can get rid of Pulev and Wilder in impressive fashion, hes going to become a buy people are not going to want to fight in a hurry

Umm ya you dont want Joshua as your comeback fight at 46 lol. Hell put you down like Old Yeller.

However, Vitali at his best would have whooped that ass.

Umm ya you dont want Joshua as your comeback fight at 46 lol. Hell put you down like Old Yeller.

However, Vitali at his best would have whooped that ass.

YUP to both of those statements

'In the position I have right now, I don't have the chance to come back to fight Joshua but I feel like if I went inside the ring, I'd knock him out,' he said.

Kinda lame to say you could beat him right now, but, you're not going to bother trying.

Kinda lame to say you could beat him right now, but, you're not going to bother trying.

That's what always distinguished him from a lot of other fighters. He really means it, comparable to Ali and Larry Holmes (and I think Mike Tyson was like that too).

Compare it to Wladimir who was back and forth on wether he was going to take the rematch vs. Joshua.
Vitali is much more determined and I think a lot of people don't realize how great he was.

Joshua is unbeatable or something? You'd be fooled into thinking so reading this stuff.

Joshua is unbeatable or something? You'd be fooled into thinking so reading this stuff.

Nope, but the Klitschkos arent going to do it

Wilder has a great chance, he is rangey and awkward and throws punches from angles you are never going to see coming

Back