Vintage Ray Flores Boxing Gloves

Those look sweet, my Shevlins are going to be grey as well. Also, is that the same guy as BillBoxing?

Thanks. I look forward to seeing how your Shevlins come out. Yes he is BillBoxing.

Thanks. I look forward to seeing how your Shevlins come out. Yes he is BillBoxing.

I came across him when I was looking for info on Shevlin, and he was saying that Dan actually taught him how to make gloves I believe.

I came across him when I was looking for info on Shevlin, and he was saying that Dan actually taught him how to make gloves I believe.

He was one of the first people I talked to about making gloves. He told me the same thing, he said he knew the glove making process, he just didn't sew. He didn't seem willing to share any of that knowledge.

He was one of the first people I talked to about making gloves. He told me the same thing, he said he knew the glove making process, he just didn't sew. He didn't seem willing to share any of that knowledge.

Ya I don't know why some people are like, and not just in glove making. It is a shame though, Shevlin and Flores gone now because they didn't want to share their secrets.

Ya I don't know why some people are like, and not just in glove making. It is a shame though, Shevlin and Flores gone now because they didn't want to share their secrets.

I don't get it. I understand in Shevlin's case. When I asked about a year ago, they were still making gloves and just revamped their site. In Bill case, if he does know how to make them, but isn't doing anything with the knowledge, he should just pass it on. He actually did the opposite, he tried to dissuade me from making gloves.

Some people are assholes. They don't want teach others their trade secrets because that's training a possible competition. And it'll decrease the size of their wallet.

If I know how to make equipments, I'll definitely pass on the skills to others and not just within family members.

I don't get it. I understand in Shevlin's case. When I asked about a year ago, they were still making gloves and just revamped their site. In Bill case, if he does know how to make them, but isn't doing anything with the knowledge, he should just pass it on. He actually did the opposite, he tried to dissuade me from making gloves.

Wow, that is lame. Telling someone no is one thing, but telling you not to even bother making gloves is just dumb.

Wow, that is lame. Telling someone no is one thing, but telling you not to even bother making gloves is just dumb.

Yea, it's the asshole mentality of some people. They think if they can't do it, they don't want others to do it either.

I don't know his true intentions, so I don't want to slam him. I went to him for advice and that's what he had to offer. I didn't agree with him and I'm glad I didn't follow his advice.

Maybe it's one of those things where in 20 years you'll be a broken down boxing glove maker, saying "I coulda been a contender.." as you polish off another bottle of bourbon at 2 in the afternoon. Then youll think "if only I listened to ol' Bill"

Maybe it's one of those things where in 20 years you'll be a broken down boxing glove maker, saying "I coulda been a contender.." as you polish off another bottle of bourbon at 2 in the afternoon. Then youll think "if only I listened to ol' Bill"

You guys are too much! :icon_lol:

IMG_7779.jpg

IMG_7780.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

Nice!! Are they comfy?

Super comfy. Hands down one of the best gloves I have owned. They are made very similar to a pair of Shevlins, thin layer of foam with horse hair padding underneath, only Shevlin does not use horse hair but a horse hair alternative. Flores also has a curved thumb, Shevlin uses a straight thumb. The thumb positioning is way better on the Flores glove.

They are a cross between my Grant pro fight gloves and my Everlast MX pro fight gloves. If you were to take the best qualities of each of those gloves, you'd have these Flores gloves.

Some people are assholes. They don't want teach others their trade secrets because that's training a possible competition. And it'll decrease the size of their wallet.

If I know how to make equipments, I'll definitely pass on the skills to others and not just within family members.

Well All..................Those that think I kept the glove making process a secret and call me an asshole for doing so, didn't get the whole message correctly. First of all,I was good friends with Dan Mosby of Flores and Dan made both his label and mine for me. However,I had learned glove making from Al Zimmer the Brooklyn owner of then Spartan boxing equipment. He came to our home, here in NH from Florida and taught my wife and me the art of making all the gear. I acquired his patterns for all and wanted badly to succeed. I was working for New England Tel and had a 32 year career with them. Now, as far as keeping it a secret, I would have gladly have shared my knowledge, but it's something you just can't write in an email. You have to sit with the individual and take them step by step, hands on, through the process. It would be useless to even try to talk someone through it.I told of the frustrations involved and why it wa better in the long run to have the experts make the gear in a private label deal. Here in New England, all the tanneries are now closed. We had to travel to NYC to get good leather and believe me, that was a pain. I tried to explain the needs to the individual that has called me an asshole on this forum,that machinery, raw materials, good leather, were hard to come by today. That's why the successful makers are having their gear made in Mexico. If someone was close to me and had the ambition, the money to back this venture and able to work through the frustrations involved. Also, with Ringside, Title and all the other manufacturers, it's almost impossible to gain a foothole in this trade. I tried to explain all, but to some, I'm an asshole I guess. Well sorry. I was just telling it like it is. Dan Mosby was an arist and only ventured into "old School" horse hair gloves, which were high impact, hand safe, gloves. I tried to pursuade Dan to try the foam, modern glove, but he preferred the old school gear. So, there it is folks...........Yes, I have the knowledge of both the old school and the modern foam gloves, but it's a hard nut to crack, believe me.

Last edited:
I understand that and appreciate his backing and support. I have a passion for gloves and have evaluated gloves and written reviews on most all past and present brands. Believe me, I wanted this badly, but can't readily sew a button on, lol, let alone sew gloves. My wife did very well for awhile, but it was not really her interest. Like I said,there is so much unseen inthe manufacture of even1 pair of gloves, but
I'd gladly work with someone nearby who could afford the hassel.

Well All..................Those that think I kept the glove making process a secret and call me an asshole for doing so, didn't get the whole message correctly. First of all,I was good friends with Dan Mosby of Flores and Dan made bot hhis label and mine for me. However,I had learned glove making from Al Zimmer the Brooklyn owner of then Spartan boxing equipment. He came to our home, here in NH from Florida and taught my wife and me the art of making all the gear. I aquired his patterns for all and wanted badly to succeed. I was working for New England Tel and had a 32 year career with them. Now, as far as keeping it a secret, I would have gladly have shared my knowledge, but it's something you just can't write in an email. You have to sit with the individual and take them step by step, hands on, through the process. It would be useless to even try to talk someone through it.I told of the frustrations involved and why it wa better in the long run to have the experts make the gear in a private label deal. Here in New England, all the tanneries are now closed. We had to travel to NYC to get good leather and believe me, that was a pain. I tried to explain the needs to the individual that has called me an asshole on this forum,that machinery, raw materials, good leather, were hard to come by today. That's why the successful makers are having their gear made in Mexico. If someone was close to me and had the ambition, the money to back this venture and able to work through the frustrations involved. Also, with Ringside, Title and all the other manufacturers, it's almost impossible to gain a foothole in this trade. I tried to explain all, but to some, I'm an asshole I guess. Well sorry. I was just telling it like it is. Dan Mosby was an arist and only ventured into "old School" horse hair gloves, which were high impact, hand safe, gloves. I tried to pursuade Dan to try the foam, modern glove, but he preferred the old school gear. So, ther it is folks...........Yes, I have the knowledge of boththe old school and the modern foam gloves, but it's a hard nut to crak, believe me.

First of all. Welcome and thank you for taking the time to join the forum and explain your position. It wasn't my intention to steer anyone in the direction to slam you. As I stated earlier, I didn't understand your reasoning at the time. Having recently dabbled a little in the craft, you are absolutely right, there is much unseen in the manufacturing of even one pair of gloves and it is not a art that can be taught through email. I was fortunate enough to find someone local who made mitts and boxing shoes in Columbia, and was kind enough to show me a few tricks of the trade. It was never my intention to compete with the likes of Title and the Ringside and no disrespect to the guys who have others make their gear(I know it's another level of headaches and struggles), it's just not something that interest me.

Once again. Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around. Your knowledge will surely be an asset to the community.

Well All..................Those that think I kept the glove making process a secret and call me an asshole for doing so, didn't get the whole message correctly. First of all,I was good friends with Dan Mosby of Flores and Dan made bot hhis label and mine for me. However,I had learned glove making from Al Zimmer the Brooklyn owner of then Spartan boxing equipment. He came to our home, here in NH from Florida and taught my wife and me the art of making all the gear. I aquired his patterns for all and wanted badly to succeed. I was working for New England Tel and had a 32 year career with them. Now, as far as keeping it a secret, I would have gladly have shared my knowledge, but it's something you just can't write in an email. You have to sit with the individual and take them step by step, hands on, through the process. It would be useless to even try to talk someone through it.I told of the frustrations involved and why it wa better in the long run to have the experts make the gear in a private label deal. Here in New England, all the tanneries are now closed. We had to travel to NYC to get good leather and believe me, that was a pain. I tried to explain the needs to the individual that has called me an asshole on this forum,that machinery, raw materials, good leather, were hard to come by today. That's why the successful makers are having their gear made in Mexico. If someone was close to me and had the ambition, the money to back this venture and able to work through the frustrations involved. Also, with Ringside, Title and all the other manufacturers, it's almost impossible to gain a foothole in this trade. I tried to explain all, but to some, I'm an asshole I guess. Well sorry. I was just telling it like it is. Dan Mosby was an arist and only ventured into "old School" horse hair gloves, which were high impact, hand safe, gloves. I tried to pursuade Dan to try the foam, modern glove, but he preferred the old school gear. So, ther it is folks...........Yes, I have the knowledge of boththe old school and the modern foam gloves, but it's a hard nut to crak, believe me.

You don't have to compete with the big boys, or try and flood the market; you can be like Shevlin and make made-to-order gear. Shevlin is now shut down, the family has retired from the business and I was lucky to get one of the last made gloves, and there are still a lot of people who want custom made gloves, either old school or modern.

Appreciate all the info and the offer if any of us lived close.
Believe me, a lot of us would jump on that offer if we could.
Please don't take their comment personally; there's just a lot of frustration over the idea that good gloves are getting harder and harder to find.

Back