Vintage Boxing Gloves

awesome collection, makedansure!

It's one of them. We normally make 3 pairs. He obviously didn't fight in them so we got most of them back.
So does the padding on it look or feel any different than a regular MX glove? Floyd’s team was making it out like these had barely any padding at all.

In my opinion, one of the rarest pieces of the collection. Spartan Training gloves

bonus pic of Ali wearing some Spartans

Not quite sure as to the age of these gloves but they’re the first vintage green Everlasts I’ve ever seen.

IMG_6739_zpstniojeyh.jpg

Last edited:
So does the padding on it look or feel any different than a regular MX glove? Floyd’s team was making it out like these had barely any padding at all.

They are exactly the same as regular MX fight gloves. We have extremely strict QC on fight gloves, standardized specs & absolutely do not mess with the recipe.

They are exactly the same as regular MX fight gloves. We have extremely strict QC on fight gloves, standardized specs & absolutely do not mess with the recipe.
Yeah, that is what I assumed. By the way, do you all make custom MX fight gloves like these for regular customers? Or are these only done for pro fighters?

Yeah, that is what I assumed. By the way, do you all make custom MX fight gloves like these for regular customers? Or are these only done for pro fighters?

We do not at the moment. Only for our Pro Fight Team. That may change in the future though.

Some Everlast 2108s. I read somewhere that the 21xx model differs from the 20xx fight gloves in that they have more thumb padding, but I can't remember exactly what the description was.

Some Tuf Wear Fight Gloves, and an excerpt from an article with a little history about Tuf Wear:

"A love of athletics--or at least the marketing of it--runs through the Spieker family's veins. Lee Spieker's father, LeRoy, worked for Safe-Play, a Nebraska company that made football equipment and gym gear. Three of LeRoy's eight children found careers in athletic gear, including Lee, who originally set out to be a veterinarian but dropped out of Colorado State University after deciding he couldn't face seven more years of school.

LeRoy Spieker helped jump-start his son's career in 1971, when Safe-Play decided to take over the Tuf-Wear company, a New York City firm that made custom boxing gloves and training bags for fighters. The Nebraska company needed someone to move to Manhattan for a year, learn the business, then bring the craft back home to the heartland. LeRoy hired Lee as Safe-Play's boxing heir apparent.

At the time, Tuf-Wear was a one-room shop owned and operated by 77-year-old Gil Spillert, who was looking to retire and move to Florida. There's no telling what Spillert thought when he first set eyes on his apprentice, a twenty-year-old dropout from Sidney, Nebraska, with a beard halfway to his chest. But Spieker was in his "artsy-craftsy-work-with-my-hands" mode, and learning to cut leather and design boxing gloves seemed like a good way to make a living.

To Spieker, it also seemed a glamorous life. Heavyweight contender Chuck Wepner, the "Bayonne Bleeder" who achieved momentary fame in 1975 when he managed to stay upright through a fifteen-round drubbing by Muhammad Ali, would sometimes come by the shop. And new fighters from gym owner Gill Clancey's stable would chew the fat while they were fitted for gloves.

Spieker spent a year in the Big Apple learning to make all kinds of boxing gear--including, he claims, one of the first-ever women's breast protectors. Then he moved back to Sidney to become general manager of the Tuff-Wear divison. He survived eight more years in the hinterlands before deciding he had to move on."

https://www.westword.com/news/firin...hed-ipad-could-cost-united-2-million-10918602

@makedansure

Just wanted to bump this thread and thank you for sharing with us all your beautiful vintage Boxing gloves and gear.

After dealing with the threads at the top of the queue, this thread is like a walk in the Japanese friendship garden.

Thank you.

Thanks for the great posts @makedansure

Your Everlast 2108s and 2414s both look in amazing condition, were they ebay finds? The Tuf Wears look nice as well.

@Minowafanatic & @dembones22 glad you both liked the photos.

The 2108 and 2414 are among my most recent acquisitions. The 2108 were listed on eBay at some point, but I actually got them through an antique sports memorabilia website. There are a few that I visit frequently. The 2414 were picked up on eBay a little while back.

I have a pair of Tuf Wear training gloves that pictures do not do justice. They are packed tight with horsehair, and I think I remember the supposed 16 oz gloves being closer to 20, maybe even more.

Hi everyone, new to the forum! I found these vintage 14oz sparring gloves, made by cleto reyes for Lonsdale, at a car boot sale today for very cheap, but I can't find anything about them. I wondered if anybody could help me? Danny

Attachments

• IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    851.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    641.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    742.6 KB · Views: 17
Hi everyone, new to the forum! I found these vintage 14oz sparring gloves, made by cleto reyes for Lonsdale, at a car boot sale today for very cheap, but I can't find anything about them. I wondered if anybody could help me? Danny
Hey, they definitely aren't that old, late 90s or 00s I guess. I only started boxing 11-12 years ago and I remember seeing these gloves. You could probably contact Lonsdale and ask them.

@joeboebeefy
these are beautiful. hope you picked them up! i have a pair of Lonsdale gloves by Cleto as well as another pair made by Leone. those gloves are pretty nice.

@Minowafanatic, that's awesome that you've seen these in the wild. Love that Lonsdale was so public with these collaborations. that must have been a pretty sweet project. and 90s, 00s.... that's a long time ago now man. you're an OG!

@Minowafanatic @makedansure thank you guys! yeah they were a bargain I got them for £10, I was thinking of selling them on eBay though as I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment, how much do you reckon I could get for them?

@Minowafanatic @makedansure thank you guys! yeah they were a bargain I got them for £10, I was thinking of selling them on eBay though as I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment, how much do you reckon I could get for them?
You definitely need to put "Cleto Reyes" in the title of the listing, and probably best as a 10 day auction ending on a Sunday (or BIN if you can afford to hold on to them). Maybe £50-£60 advertising them as vintage? Not sure though

[
@Minowafanatic, that's awesome that you've seen these in the wild. Love that Lonsdale was so public with these collaborations. that must have been a pretty sweet project. and 90s, 00s.... that's a long time ago now man. you're an OG!
No, nooo!!..I'm still young damnit!

Back