VIKINGS v.3 (Returns Nov. 29, 2017)

Anyone else think Bjorns character is uninteresting? All of Aslaugs sons seem more interesting than him.

One thing I will give them credit for is building up Bjorn as a stable presence, so it should be impactful when he actually has some kind of arc written for him (at least one that isn't based on stupid soap opera shenanigans).

Ivar is being done very well, and the decent brother that kind of looks out for him is being set up well. The asshole brother is being established well enough. I haven't even noticed a character trait of the other brother(s).

One small complaint from this episode, I was hoping the the guy making fun of Ivar would keep it up and Ivar would maul him in front of everyone.

I dont know, I think Rollo has a soft spot for Bjorn, and deep down Bjorn still loves Rollo too.

Hence why Bjorn didn't throw his ass overboard the second they were past Frankish coasts, despite what Floki would've wanted.

Damn i used to be a big fan of vikings.i love the story of ragnar and his adventures.havent watched it coz i missed a season because i was on rehab.my favorite character was the priest athelstan

Athelstan was awesome and the show hasn't been the same without him.

Lagertha is hot and all but I hope she is killed soon. Her storyline is shit.

If they kill Lagertha then they might as well just kill the whole show.

With Athelstan, Ragnar and Lagertha gone, the show is just fucking done. Seeing Ivar be crazy is not enough to sustain interest.

With Athelstan, Ragnar and Lagertha gone, the show is just fucking done. Seeing Ivar be crazy is not enough to sustain interest.
Dunno the brothers are starting to be fleshed out , rollo and floki still are cool and alfred is prob being slowly built up as a boss too

Side note uber reflexes blacksmith was excellent touch..guys a ledgend on forums discussing the episode

Hence why Bjorn didn't throw his ass overboard the second they were past Frankish coasts, despite what Floki would've wanted.
Bjorn is the stable dependable one
They publicly drowned him and 'the gods' brought him back ...itd be seen as bad form to kill him after that

Dunno the brothers are starting to be fleshed out , rollo and floki still are cool and alfred is prob being slowly built up as a boss too

Rollo is still cool but he's in the background. Lagertha is cool. Floki is okay, but I've been iffy on him for a while now. Ecbert is still cool, but like Ragnar, he's mostly in the background and not really given much to do. The sons are fine, but not to the point where they can carry the show in my opinion.

We need some new characters who have the charisma and likability of Ragnar, Athelstan and Ecbert.

Really, I am not feeling like there are many "good" characters left. The show has always been full of people who are morally complicated, but now I feel like everyone is just mostly shitty, power hungry or revenge-obsessed. Big philosophical questions that I thought seasons 1 and 2 asked are no longer being asked.

Side note uber reflexes blacksmith was excellent touch..guys a ledend on forums discussing the episode

What forums might these be?

I'd rather Lagertha just die imminently than have her suffer the death of a thousand cuts through bad storylines and writing. I remember the last three seasons of Dexter... I wanted him to die just so he would stop narrating.

As far as the transition goes, everything hinged on how well they set up Ivar and, despite my criticisms of the show, they're setting Ivar up well and in a short amount of time.

Rollo is still cool but he's in the background. Lagertha is cool. Floki is okay, but I've been iffy on him for a while now. Ecbert is still cool, but like Ragnar, he's mostly in the background and not really given much to do. The sons are fine, but not to the point where they can carry the show in my opinion.

We need some new characters who have the charisma and likability of Ragnar, Athelstan and Ecbert.

Really, I am not feeling like there are many "good" characters left. The show has always been full of people who are morally complicated, but now I feel like everyone is just mostly shitty, power hungry or revenge-obsessed. Big philosophical questions that I thought seasons 1 and 2 asked are no longer being asked.

What forums might these be?
Wel see ivar is deffo a star , ubbe is comming into his own
The blonde brother annoyed me at first then i came around on him...only one who calls ivar on his b.s
The one who went with bjorn apparently has a 'darkness' wel see later on ..ok
The halfhair brothers could build into decent bad guys as well as alfred
Overall theres still plenty of decent characters man

Just google man, reddit for exqmple
Or even youtube the scene and watch all the pro blacksmith comments...mans a ledge now!

I'd rather Lagertha just die imminently than have her suffer the death of a thousand cuts through bad storylines and writing. I remember the last three seasons of Dexter... I wanted him to die just so he would stop narrating.

Well my hope is that they'll do something interesting with her.

As far as the transition goes, everything hinged on how well they set up Ivar and, despite my criticisms of the show, they're setting Ivar up well and in a short amount of time.

Ivar is a villain to me. The main character of the show--which supposedly Ivar is becoming--should not be a crazy, half-cocked kid with few if any redeeming qualities.

Ragnar was cool because, not only was he full of charisma, but we saw that he had a good side (at least in the earlier seasons). He was a hero . . . or at least an anti-hero.

The blonde brother annoyed me at first then i came around on him...only one who calls ivar on his b.s

This I will agree with. Of all the brothers, he's the one I like the most and I wish they'd give him more to do.

Ivar is a villain to me. The main character of the show--which supposedly Ivar is becoming--should not be a crazy, half-cocked kid with few if any redeeming qualities.

Ragnar was cool because, not only was he full of charisma, but we saw that he had a good side (at least in the earlier seasons). He was a hero . . . or at least an anti-hero.

Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage.

Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage.

LOL

But for real, do you think that Ivar is the kind of character that people are going to want to tune in for? Is he really fit to carry a show? Who are our good guys?

LOL

But for real, do you think that Ivar is the kind of character that people are going to want to tune in for? Is he really fit to carry a show? Who are our good guys?

Not sure. I've been more critical of the show this season than most. And at the same time, I think I find Ivar more interesting at this point than most.

He's certainly not a Luke Skywalker type of protagonist, but I don't know if I would say he has no redeeming qualities. Offhand...

- Spared the girl's life when he couldn't get it up. Granted, he shouldn't really have thought about killing her, but compassion / mercy won out.
- Trying harder than anyone to avenge his mother.
- Was willing to go one-on-one with the (by now) legendary Lagertha and possibly die to that end.
- Has overcome being crippled to a rather impressive extent.
- Is honor bound to follow his father's instructions and was specifically ordered to be ruthless, letting him off the hook a little bit for upcoming ruthless shenanigans.
- Endures constant ridicule.

There's enough on the positive side of the ledger there that I'm interested in (and don't know) what the result will be when he faces future dilemmas.

I find that Alex Andersen is bringing an impressive screen presence to the proceedings so far. Definitely more than I expected.

The Ragnar-to-Ivar transition is also made more palatable by their having "Dextered" Ragnar with shitty writing last half-season.

Not sure. I've been more critical of the show this season than most. And at the same time, I think I find Ivar more interesting at this point than most.

He's certainly not a Luke Skywalker type of protagonist, but I don't know if I would say he has no redeeming qualities. Offhand...

- Spared the girl's life when he couldn't get it up. Granted, he shouldn't really have thought about killing her, but compassion / mercy won out.
- Trying harder than anyone to avenge his mother.
- Was willing to go one-on-one with the (by now) legendary Lagertha and possibly die to that end.
- Has overcome being crippled to a rather impressive extent.
- Is honor bound to follow his father's instructions and was specifically ordered to be ruthless, letting him off the hook a little bit for upcoming ruthless shenanigans.
- Endures constant ridicule.

There's enough on the positive side of the ledger there that I'm interested in (and don't know) what the result will be when he faces future dilemmas.

I find that Alex Andersen is bringing an impressive screen presence to the proceedings so far. Definitely more than I expected.

The Ragnar-to-Ivar transition is also made more palatable by their having "Dextered" Ragnar with shitty writing last half-season.

He's a fine actor and I think the performance is good. But I just don't think he's a center-stage kind of character.

Your examples show that he's at least not a complete psychopath. He's demonstrated some small capacity for mercy, is resilient and obviously has SOME SORT of honor code. I will give him--and you--all of that.

But if in a season from now it's the Ivar Show and we basically just tune in every week to see him be sneaky and weird, I just don't know how into that I'm going to be. Or actually, I probably do know. I won't be very into it.

I think that he's solid as a supporting character, but we need a heroic lead (and frankly also a character who isn't crawling around everywhere and looking a little silly).

I wonder how far History even intends to take the storyline. Are they still expecting the show to be around three years from now?

He's a fine actor and I think the performance is good. But I just don't think he's a center-stage kind of character.

Your examples show that he's at least not a complete psychopath. He's demonstrated some small capacity for mercy, is resilient and obviously has SOME SORT of honor code. I will give him--and you--all of that.

But if in a season from now it's the Ivar Show and we basically just tune in every week to see him be sneaky and weird, I just don't know how into that I'm going to be. Or actually, I probably do know. I won't be very into it.

I think that he's solid as a supporting character, but we need a heroic lead (and frankly also a character who isn't crawling around everywhere and looking a little silly).

I wonder how far History even intends to take the storyline. Are they still expecting the show to be around three years from now?

I think that hero character will be the big brother that looks out for Ivar. It will be kind of like Manny and Tony in Scarface.

Vikings was at its best the first few seasons when it was about Ragnar and Rollo, in my opinion.

I think it's going to become a show about the love and conflict between brothers. I just hope they keep dumb shit like the slave girl to a minimum. And they should do everyone a favor right now and have a rock fall on both the adopted Muslim girl and the lesbian shieldmaiden.

Vikings was at its best the first few seasons when it was about Ragnar and Rollo, in my opinion.

I'd amend that to Ragnar and Athelstan, but yes, Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty much untouchable. They will forever go down as two of my favorite seasons of television of all time.

I remember arguing back then that Vikings was a better show than GoT. (Of course I have since walked that back.)

I think it's going to become a show about the love and conflict between brothers. I just hope they keep dumb shit like the slave girl to a minimum.

I guess we'll see. It's definitely a different show now than it used to be.

I'll keep watching, but provided the BBC doesn't fuck up S2 of The Last Kingdom that's probably going to move into 1st Place for me when it comes to Viking shows.

And they should do everyone a favor right now and have a rock fall on both the adopted Muslim girl and the lesbian shieldmaiden.

LOL. You might be right.

LOL

The show is called 'Vikings'.

Vikings werent good guys when you look at the historical record.

Back