VIDEO: The Berimbolo

Caio Terra recently said "It's PATHETIC how many videos explaining the "berimbolo" are in the internet but NONE of them are correctly, I mean, not just the move is incorrect but people who posts it have no idea what the berimbolo really is. Berimbolo is not Dela Riva!!! It just starts from there."

I'm certain Caio wasn't talking about Tony's video. This is a good video!

Caio Terra recently said "It's PATHETIC how many videos explaining the "berimbolo" are in the internet but NONE of them are correctly, I mean, not just the move is incorrect but people who posts it have no idea what the berimbolo really is. Berimbolo is not Dela Riva!!! It just starts from there."

I'm certain Caio wasn't talking about Tony's video. This is a good video!

definitely not, that is a very, very good berimbolo instructional

Very helpful vid, thanks Tony.

One of the first berimbolo youtube instructionals I feel got it right. Pretty much exactly how I interpret the berimbolo.

I agreed with Terra. This instructional was filmed in 3D December 23rd, 2011; however, I just released it today. I was saying the same thing that all the people putting out the berimbolo instructional on youtube were missing details. This video has the standing entry first, and I would like to point out how I grab the front of the belt to pull and push with my free leg on the hip of the opponent. This makes the person off down; not the spin to the back bullshit.

Raf and Gui Mendes did these positions on me during a private lesson and during seminars!

Tony, quick question that I've never understood. What is to stop the passer from just backsteping the free leg for base so that he/she doesn't just fall to there butt. Hope that makes sense.

The biggest problem I have with using the berimbolo as a primary sweep (i.e. force the opponent to sit down with the sweeping pressure vs. entice the opponent to sit down with the standard De La Riva back take) is the leg drag pass when the non-hooking leg is placed on the hip like shown.

The leg drag pass on the free leg is one of the toughest counters to the De La Riva guard, and I have always had trouble with it when I bring my free leg towards the hip that I have hooked with the De La Riva. If I keep my free leg on the opposite hip, the opponent typically backsteps around in a circle to keep his balance.

I have been able to force the sweep sometimes with my free leg on the hooked hip, but it's been inconsistent and very risky for me with the leg drag pass counter. As such I've mostly abandoned the berimbolo as a primary sweep in favor of the more standard De La Riva back take against a stationary opponent. Only if the opponent sits down to counter do I roll into the berimbolo.

Any tips or insight you could provide would be great. I like how your video addressed misconceptions because there is indeed a lot of confusion and different guesses as to how the position fundamentally works.

The biggest problem I have with using the berimbolo as a primary sweep (i.e. force the opponent to sit down with the sweeping pressure vs. entice the opponent to sit down with the standard De La Riva back take) is the leg drag pass when the non-hooking leg is placed on the hip like shown.

The leg drag pass on the free leg is one of the toughest counters to the De La Riva guard, and I have always had trouble with it when I bring my free leg towards the hip that I have hooked with the De La Riva. If I keep my free leg on the opposite hip, the opponent typically backsteps around in a circle to keep his balance.

I have been able to force the sweep sometimes with my free leg on the hooked hip, but it's been inconsistent and very risky for me with the leg drag pass counter. As such I've mostly abandoned the berimbolo as a primary sweep in favor of the more standard De La Riva back take against a stationary opponent. Only if the opponent sits down to counter do I roll into the berimbolo.

Any tips or insight you could provide would be great. I like how your video addressed misconceptions because there is indeed a lot of confusion and different guesses as to how the position fundamentally works.

for me (and i am certain little tony can answer this better) is about the belt grip and pulling hard as you force the opponent to turn towards the mat, the combined pressure of your feet and the belt grip makes it very difficult for them to get the balance to leg drag you

@higherlearning- Yes, the combination of the foot push on the hip and the front pull on the belt mixed with the the de la riva angle: the opponent stepping back is not an issue. And if it become one, the top opponent is allowing the sit up guard or a different sweep.

@Balto ~ keep your thought and strategy going if what you are doing counters the legdrag passes. The berimolo's magic is that it becomes another weapon to continue the progress of your style. To say I play de la riva or inverted de la riva or the berimolo to stop leg drags, this is not the real strategy and how jiu-jitsu works to me. From an open guard reference to stop a standing guard passer, if I am ahead in the timing, the art will be how I can influence the opponent with all the different guards in transition mentioned above. Different off balances and leverages for example. The feeling in his mind that he is a white belt. Before he or she knows, I am hitting the berimbolo because he was forced into it or fell into it by mistake; my design. And if I am late on the timing, tomorrow is another day.

In this video, get the opponent to sit to his butt. There are a lot of guards and almost sweeps that will get the person to the point in the match. :icon_lol:

Hope this helps

Nice vid! Thanks for the resource! :)

You mention the toe hold threat when spinning underneath without bringing the opponent down; I feel that when doing the berimbolo no gi, I have to invert a bit underneath - almost into a deep half guard - before I can pull the opponent down by grabbing the hip. (Obviously, the belt grip doesn't exist no gi, and grabbing the hip only gives me leverage when I'm behind the opponent.) Because of this, and the toe hold threat this exposes like you explain in the vid, I find it safer to bring the free leg off the opponent's stomach and instead either use it as a pendulum or bring it inside for a 'knee inside' waiter sweep/waiter sweep to X-guard transition.

Rant aside, my question is: Do you do the berimbolo differently in no gi, or do you only go for it if you've already brought the opponent down on his ass? :p

I have a question. I notice that you put both feet through to the far hip and I always run into trouble when I do that. I have learned to immediately triangle me legs as I roll underneath so that my opponent can't grab the leg that initially had the dlr hook (ie your left leg in this video) and pull me into 50/50. Wondering if you were doing anything that prevented that I was missing. I realize that your opponent could step over you if you don't block the far hip but that is the direction you would want them to go to get the back anyways so if your connected to the hip you can just follow them up if they try to run away in my experience. Would appreciate any insight on this.

2 thoughts for you, Tony:

1. I love how you snap your fingers to get us to know what hand you are referencing. That's such a great teaching tool, especially in BJJ.

2. How do you feel about grabbing the near sleeve to stretch them out and make them fall? I often try this when I can't grab the belt.

Also thanks for posting this. Great instruction.

What Tony is saying about the non-DLR hooked leg is right, it is used to push on the opponent's hips to make him fall. Check out the committment on the berimbolo that Farias uses on Radar to get Radar to sit down.

Why Ary Farias is Awesome | Samsara

Also, this match was when Farias and Radar were already black belts. Radar has been dealing with the berimbolo since at least brown belt when he was running into the Mendes brothers. Any seen the match of Gui (or Rafa, I forget) and Radar as brown belts with Lovato screaming at Radar "He's trying to go to your back! Get ready for the scramble..."?

Anyway, the point is that Radar has drilled the hell out of countering the berimbolo, and the fact that Farias still hits it on him with many of the details outlined in Tony's video means Tony must know what's up!

thanks for the video, i really like the detail with both feet hooking the far leg

@BJJProfessor- The near side sleeve grab is effective as an assisted pull-down/to the side; however, 1) The opponent typically gets a better posture standing compared to pulling the belt mixed with the foot in the hip; 2) with better opponents, I often find it difficult to catch them "waving to the crowd." This means they often have a control of something at higher levels: controlling the knee, holding the lapel or belt for example from top. Further, if you choose to play this strategy because you enjoy to due to the de la riva game, you will need to get the opponent to wave to the crowd which will be a mini series of grip breaks and movement.

As for the no-gi berimbolo, at a recent seminar in Los Angeles, the Mendes brothers were doing a Q&A with the gi on and were asked how to perform the this berimbolo stuff without the belt...No-Gi... The reply was a mix of come to the No Gi seminar tomorrow and a laugh saying with no-gi one can not control the belt...so the game is different.

In my personal style, study and application of the no-gi berimbolo entries, I like to use an unhook with my arm around the opponent's ankle. This type of tactic gets me to spin quickly under the top opponent finding my way to the back; the x-guard, 50/50 guard, deep-half and the complete roll berimbolo----hitting the back, stopping to the front mount, a toe hold battle or a mixed scramble.

An excellent case study of what I am referring to is in this match with Ary Farias
AD Pro 2011 (NO GI) Ary vs Fernando - YouTube

Best,

"little" Tony

Back