Video : The Beginning: The True Story of UFC 1 - Preview

Arm Barbarian

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Wow, talk about a nostalgic moment in time.

The very first UFC that set it all off - Bare knuckles, no rounds, no time limits.

Royces older brother, and the brainchild behind the inception of the UFC, Rorion Gracie gives commentary on the event.

I remember watching this live on PPV, and going absolutely bonkers when Royce beat Shamrock.

Good times....

I love this type of content. I can watch Pride: Decade or "UFC: Fighting For A Generation" 1,000 times. I'm sure this will be amazing.

Art Jimmerson is not doing well, guys.

Just watching Patrick Smith and wondering how many current LHW fighters on the UFC roster that he would put in a coma.

I love MMA and I love my fellow Sherbros, even my haters :)

Still today, that fight looks fixed. I don´t wanna ruin the party, but you know.

Great times!

Still today, that fight looks fixed. I don´t wanna ruin the party, but you know.

Great times!
even if the outcome of that fight wasn't fixed the winner of the tournament was fixed. think of some people not invited or when inquired were turned away. also they admit picking a smaller royce to show off the skill and drive home the point BJJ is not about size or strength

The very first UFC that set it all off - Bare knuckles, no rounds, no time limits.

Royces older brother, and the brainchild behind the inception of the UFC, Rorion Gracie gives commentary on the event.

I remember watching this live on PPV, and going absolutely bonkers when Royce beat Shamrock.

Good times....

way to age yourself old man

Good times....

I'm actually planning on watching this tonight. I'm also currently reading Art Davies' book Is this Legal?, about the creation of the first UFC, which is also super interesting.

I loved this documentary. It's 55 minutes on UFC 1, a very thorough look at the event and tournament. The interviews are great, too.

My one issue with it is around the 46 min mark. They show Zane Frazier desperately trying to look knowledgeable when talking about a choke. He tries to differentiate the "panicky" choke from the regular choke. He clearly has no fuckin clue about anything he's saying, and all of the people are sitting there forced to entertain his horseshit. No idea why that made the final cut. I cringed so hard, I have a migraine.

Last edited:
UFC!!!! Thank you pioneers and legends... Crazy how much the sport has grown.

I’m a new mma fan but damn when I saw Royce’s 11-0 win streak all submissions my jaw dropped I feel like new mma fans don’t understand what he went through to get those wins

Just watching Patrick Smith and wondering how many current LHW fighters on the UFC roster that he would put in a coma.
All of them, and even some of them at the same time.

Dude fell off but he was a legit striker at one point for sure.

I used to be a huge Patt smith fan, to bad he’s a piece of crap

Ah man... Rorion Gracie is commentating?

<26>

That basically means that every single word will either be an exaggeration, or just an outright lie...

I had a Jiu-Jitsu VHS back in the day with him commentating, and just sat there lying through his teeth constantly about how Gracie Jiu-Jitsu was invincible and so on, showing edited fight footage and glossing over key invidents... It started my long standing disdain for the Gracie family.

Yeah... He started the UFC and taught Mel Gibson how to do a triangle... He's also one of the shadiest people from the old school fight game, and has never told the truth once in his entire life.

Obviously I will watch the film anyway...

Last edited:
UFC!!!! Thank you pioneers and legends... Crazy how much the sport has grown.

Sort of a shame to see the turn they making now, hoping they get their fighting sense back.

Back