Video Police in Santa Maria Shoot/Kill Suicidal man claiming he "lunged at them" Here we go again

I have the same question about this as the chick with the scissors . Yes the police can legit kill you justifiably if you threaten them with a weapon but do they have to ? Why cant they just Rodney King the shit out of a fool with a knife. A bunch of cops with sticks should in theory be able to beat a crazy guy with a knife down.

Yes I have some experience with guns knives and unarmed so dont just tell me I dont know what I am talking about . I know exactly what I am talking about or quote the 21 foot rue at me

if you "know" what you say you know then you "know" the answer already

personal safety

its not a cops job to enter into a hand to hand combat situation

its his job to detain and neutralize the threat not jump into the fray

just the fact that you claim to "know" about things yet ask stupid questions makes me think you dont know shit

you say "i know what im talking about"

then say stupid shit like "why dont they just rodney king them"

facepalm

That rule doesn't apply to someone with their gun already drawn and pointed at the threat, as was the case in the OP.

Fun reading here, fwiw.

https://www.policeone.com/edged-wea...ense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-1/

https://www.policeone.com/close-qua...ense-Is-or-was-the-21-foot-rule-valid-Part-2/
Yes it does. Deadly force is authorized if your attacker has a club or edged weapon and is 21 feet or closer. That distance creates the "delivery system" and "opportunity" in terms of defining an imminent threat.

Man had knife to his own throat claiming he was going to commit suicide
Santa Maria Police say they had "exhausted all nonlethal means."

So one cop (the bald white cop behind the suv) decides to shoot the guy while he's at least 10 feet away while most of the other cops don't even draw their weapons. Looks like a trigger happy cop just wanted to open fire on someone that day and get a paid vacation. Will his life matter ? He wasn't black will anyone care ? Society has become one cold place to live.

If he's such a threat to them why are they all gathered so close to him in a large group what sort of response is this to a suicidal man with a knife i mean if he was to move in any direction their positioning only gives them the justification they need to shoot the man. Notice the one cop that opens fire was the one who had his gun drawn from the beginning as if he was positioned as the executioner.

That sounded like a gun range. LOL @ whoever took the last 2 shots. Fucking asshole.

I have the same question about this as the chick with the scissors . Yes the police can legit kill you justifiably if you threaten them with a weapon but do they have to ? Why cant they just Rodney King the shit out of a fool with a knife. A bunch of cops with sticks should in theory be able to beat a crazy guy with a knife down.

Yes I have some experience with guns knives and unarmed so dont just tell me I dont know what I am talking about . I know exactly what I am talking about or quote the 21 foot rue at me

rodney king them?

i'm a retired nyc cop,
i have esu (swat) training edged weapon tactic hand to hand (bjj brown belt tkd black belt) but guess what? i would never willingly go hand to hand with anyone Your idea is pure idiocy and inviting serious harm/escalation ..i can't even start with your ridiculous claims about "knowing" about hand to hand and the 21ft rule because if you had a clue you wouldn't be posing these completely moronic questions.

Attention all morons:

Why can't cops draw like Doc Holiday or Billy the Kid. Shouldn't they be in front of their mirrors drilling that every night? If their holsters are the problem, then they are dangerous holsters.

Why can't cops draw like Doc Holiday or Billy the Kid. Shouldn't they be in front of their mirrors drilling that every night? If their holsters are the problem, then they are dangerous holsters.

on a lighter note most departments use a level 2 or 3 retention holster.Meaning it can be drawn only a certain way to keep crazies from yanking a cops gun from the holster etc..

here is a good link with retention info NYPD uses level 2 which is a thumb snap (on inside of holster) and a trigger guard (rock gun forward to clear) by safariland https://www.safariland.com/products...de-level-ii-retention-duty-holster-19815.html

http://www.gundigest.com/concealed-carry-news/understanding-holster-retention

Yes it does. Deadly force is authorized if your attacker has a club or edged weapon and is 21 feet or closer. That distance creates the "delivery system" and "opportunity" in terms of defining an imminent threat.

Legally? News to me. Everywhere or in your particular jurisdiction? What training is undergone to make sure that each officer can identify the distance correctly?

Still doesn't change the fact that 21 feet was based on conditions other than having your gun out and on target (like the officer in the OP). Doesn't change anything in the two articles I linked either.

on a lighter note most departments use a level 2 or 3 retention holster.Meaning it can be drawn only a certain way to keep crazies from yanking a cops gun from the holster etc..

here is a good link with retention info NYPD uses level 2 which is a thumb snap (on inside of holster) and a trigger guard (rock gun forward to clear) by safariland https://www.safariland.com/products...de-level-ii-retention-duty-holster-19815.html

http://www.gundigest.com/concealed-carry-news/understanding-holster-retention

How about no retention system + Smart gun. Maybe somewhere down the line...

Legally? News to me. Everywhere or in your particular jurisdiction? What training is undergone to make sure that each officer can identify the distance correctly?

Still doesn't change the fact that 21 feet was based on conditions other than having your gun out and on target (like the officer in the OP). Doesn't change anything in the two articles I linked either.

gun out just gives the cop a better chance of surviving

ill never understand people who must watch too much tv and think cops are movie cowboys who can shoot people in the leg or shoot knives out of hands etc

or

must risk their own personal safety for someone blatantly risking everyone elses..its just...ugh

if you "know" what you say you know then you "know" the answer already

personal safety

its not a cops job to enter into a hand to hand combat situation

its his job to detain and neutralize the threat not jump into the fray

just the fact that you claim to "know" about things yet ask stupid questions makes me think you dont know shit

you say "i know what im talking about"

then say stupid shit like "why dont they just rodney king them"

facepalm

Nah I just judge things on a case by case basis and am ever the optimist that there is a better way to deal with mentally ill people. Could you club all dudes with a knife of course not but depending on the situation plays out you could club some of them. Acting like a few officers cant beat a dude with a knife or a chick with some scissors is pure hogwash.

Did none of you read nhbears thing about knives besides me ?Long batons shields barriers controlling the situation etc.

I wonder if these cops know if you shoot them in the leg they stop coming forward.
Screw guns. Every cop should have a bola.

Bola_(PSF).jpg

The police train with batons. Again, this ain't an action movie. Police tactics are designed by highly trained individuals who realize that trying to hit a charging man with a knife in the leg with a stick isn't a very high percentage chance of doing much other than getting you stabbed.

Im not saying hit a dude in the legs im saying hit a dude however you can. Im not saying its for every situation either just some of them. Police are killing way to many people in America

Yes legally. 21 feet is two running steps and a swing of the arm. I would bet most officers shoot closer than 21 feet just because action vs reaction. You don't train to shoot someone at a certain distance, you train to stop an imminent threat or death of great bodily harm to yourself or others. What's your point? Should the police have just disengaged?

Nah I just judge things on a case by case basis and am ever the optimist that there is a better way to deal with mentally ill people. Could you club all dudes with a knife of course not but depending on the situation plays out you could club some of them. Acting like a few officers cant beat a dude with a knife or a chick with some scissors is pure hogwash.

Did none of you read nhbears thing about knives besides me ?Long batons shields barriers controlling the situation etc.
To maintain control of a situation, police are trained to use force a level above the subject. Only thing above a knife or other implement is a firearm.

I mean a crazy guy with a knife started to take off running, there are other people besides the cop around, there's a grocery store behind him, what if he ran into the grocery store and started stabbing people?

I don't know if they could have used a taser or bean bags or whatever, but you can't let someone like that get to other civilians, or get to a place where you wouldn't be able to discharge your weapon.

It's terribly unfortunate, and I don't know if it was right or wrong, it's hard to know.

But there are other considerations as to why a cop might have to shoot someone, besides his own safety.

you need one of them big nets and throw it over him. seen some more legit police forces that dont indiscriminately kill mentally ill ppl do it a bunch of times.

Man had knife to his own throat claiming he was going to commit suicide
Santa Maria Police say they had "exhausted all nonlethal means."

So one cop (the bald white cop behind the suv) decides to shoot the guy while he's at least 10 feet away while most of the other cops don't even draw their weapons. Looks like a trigger happy cop just wanted to open fire on someone that day and get a paid vacation. Will his life matter ? He wasn't black will anyone care ? Society has become one cold place to live.

If he's such a threat to them why are they all gathered so close to him in a large group what sort of response is this to a suicidal man with a knife i mean if he was to move in any direction their positioning only gives them the justification they need to shoot the man. Notice the one cop that opens fire was the one who had his gun drawn from the beginning as if he was positioned as the executioner.

Meh. He wanted to commit suicide. He got what he wanted. Nothing to see here.

Back