Video of my training for upcoming first amateur fight

Kacper

White Belt
@White
Reaction score

What do you think?
Any feedback is welcome
I'm 82 kg

You will get knocked out punching like that. Your opposite hand should be at the side of your head.

You can't expect a lot of feedback for your match, from a 30sec edited clip of the same combo on padworks...
The best feedback before a match will come from sparring, not from exercises...

Now if you want feedback just on your padwork, that's another story.... (not from me tho, too much punching goin on in there)

I agree with comment that it is better to critique sparring video than padwork video.

Regarding the posted video though I would advise that even when doing something like speed drills that you should always fully imagine that you have an actual opponent. Meaning you should be practicing the defensive moves together with the offensive moves. So what I personally would prefer to see is you moving in and out adjusting distance, more head movement, more variation in the pace, and (as mentioned above) more concern about protecting yourself.

I also feel that the the range isn't quite right -- you don't seem to be taking full advantage of your reach and height.

But don't be discouraged by all my comments, in sports like boxing no matter what your level there is always something you can improve on. I

By the way I think the fact that you were willing to put this video up and ask for critique is very, very cool. Being open, honest in self-assessment and constantly seeking tips to improve will take you really far.

Thank you for all the words i will keep them in mind

What do you think?
Any feedback is welcome
I'm 82 kg

Too much chicken winging on some of the punches and and experienced opponent will walk through that low kick to land a bomb.

What do you think?
Any feedback is welcome
I'm 82 kg

1st - Good luck on your bout and from what I saw ( not enough to give a more technical critique), you look sharp for a guy getting ready for his 1st Ammy fight.

2nd - I understand that the drill you're doing is more about focusing on coordination and linking together combos, but it's getting you in the habit of leaving your rear foot behind. In short, your stance is progressively getting wider and narrower throughout the combo. In practical application what that translates to is a defensive movement by your opponent to brake up your combo, youre off balance and out of position (every shot in a combination should be thrown with the assumption of missing but the intent of connecting). I'd suggest making that drill far less linear (straight forward) and breaking it up with shorter combos followed by changes in direction (lateral movement or pivots). You actually used a nice pivot at the end of one of those combos, but i'd of liked to see you immediately follow that pivot with another combo vs simply resetting. Use that pivot either to begin the combo (jab, pivot, combo) or ideally mid combo (cross, lead uc, pivot, rear body/leg kick).

I like how you're incorporating that lead UC into your combos. When you're throwing that lead low kick, use a pendulum step or a lateral step and make sure to slide up your rear foot. By reaching with the lead leg and not sliding up the rear you're getting a little wide and narrow in your stance. Although I like how your following up with punches behind that kick, without either a lateral step to get off center line or a pendulum step to get your hip turned over on that lead kick there's nothing to prevent you're opponent from simply stepping straight through that kick and launching a heavy shot at you. So, you either need to make the kick heavy enough to take away your opponents base so he cant simply step through it (pendulum step) or if your going to use it as bait (slapping kick) incorporate a lateral step to get off your opponents center line. Either of these options should also help you to keep your stance a bit heavier so you can sit down more on your punches.

Lastly, don't throw that straight cross to the body without dropping elevation or getting your head off center (you're throwing it down hill, chin up, right in the middle of your opponents shoulders = KTFO).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back