Video: Nate Diaz hanging with B Real and female MR ED

Just wondering. If any fighter would been spotted with Gordon Ramsey, would sherdoggers argue if he is GOAT and if his Michelin stars are legit?

Thought there would be actual hanging out in this video, but the hip hop discussion is interesting and lively.

I think something Devout Pessimist hit on about rap that DV just phrased poorly is that most rap, especially 80s/90s rap and hip-hop, makes references to very dated material and pop culture references of the moment that lose their meaning or intensity over time. ATCQ referencing how they want Dinkins to be their mayor, House of Pain referencing Krusty the Klown and Parker Lewis, etc.

Most rock music does not use dated cultural references, with groups like the Doors going so far as to write of archetypes and to keep it as ageless as possible. Q-Tip mentions at the end of one of his tracks that he shouldnt say the name of the year, but most hip hop of the time vocally and repeatedly dated their material, Busta Rhymes countdown to the year 2000 seems highly dated now even if it is still a solid piece of work.

As a kid from the woods going to college in NY at the start of the 90s, the Cypress Hill album made a big impact to the people I hung out with. Black Sunday brought positive mainstream attention that Ghetto Boys, PE, NWA and a lot of other early 'gangsta rap' failed to capture. In its historical context, B-Real and Cypress Hill are legends. The US probably wouldnt be having real discussions about cannabis without CH helping to make those ideas mainstream. Dre's Chronic album wouldnt have blown up West Coast rap without CH "Stoned Is the Way of The Walk" leading to "Hits from a Bong" being a mainstream hit, even The Chronic dropped 6 months earlier.

But its funny that non-MMA discussions around here bring more open-mindedness and mature discussion (for the most part) than the MMA ones do

TLDR- Most hip hop lyrics are transitory in nature; Cypress Hill holds a legend status in the annals of hip hop for their music and their mainstreaming of the cannabis discussion; this is a solid thread.

Last edited:
wtf is a female mr ed
1279320416_3.jpg

6a010536b86d36970c0148c7a7dc6d970c-pi

I consider myself a pretty avid hip hop fan. I wouldn't call B-real a Legend.
An icon perhaps, but I tihnk the music was more legendary than B real specifically

But regardless, that first album was sick when it came out

Thought there would be actual hanging out in this video, but the hip hop discussion is interesting and lively.

I think something Devout Pessimist hit on about rap that DV just phrased poorly is that most rap, especially 80s/90s rap and hip-hop, makes references to very dated material and pop culture references of the moment that lose their meaning or intensity over time. ATCQ referencing how they want Dinkins to be their mayor, House of Pain referencing Krusty the Klown and Parker Lewis, etc.

Most rock music does not use dated cultural references, with groups like the Doors going so far as to write of archetypes and to keep it as ageless as possible. Q-Tip mentions at the end of one of his tracks that he shouldnt say the name of the year, but most hip hop of the time vocally and repeatedly dated their material, Busta Rhymes countdown to the year 2000 seems highly dated now even if it is still a solid piece of work.

As a kid from the woods going to college in NY at the start of the 90s, the Cypress Hill album made a big impact to the people I hung out with. Black Sunday brought positive mainstream attention that Ghetto Boys, PE, NWA and a lot of other early 'gangsta rap' failed to capture. In its historical context, B-Real and Cypress Hill are legends. The US probably wouldnt be having real discussions about cannabis without CH helping to make those ideas mainstream. Dre's Chronic album wouldnt have blown up West Coast rap without CH "Stoned Is the Way of The Walk" leading to "Hits from a Bong" being a mainstream hit, even The Chronic dropped 6 months earlier.

But its funny that non-MMA discussions around here bring more open-mindedness and mature discussion (for the most part) than the MMA ones do

TLDR- Most hip hop lyrics are transitory in nature; Cypress Hill holds a legend status in the annals of hip hop for their music and their mainstreaming of the cannabis discussion; this is a solid thread.
I just wanted to give you props for mentioning Geto Boys, I came up listening to those guys in the 80's, loved it.

I've never heard anyone say this in my 26 years of life outside of this mix martial arts forum.
I would consider them OGs but coming from that east coast there are many guys I'd put above them to the point where they'd basically be unranked.

I'm a Gen-Xer but only got into hip hop in the mid nineties so I am probably biased somewhat. Wu Tang was my initiation to the genre.

The only issue I have with this is lumping PE in with gansta rap like Ghetto Boys and NWA. Public Enemy was about social consciousness rather than any sort of lifestyle.

Nate Diaz P4P #1? BReal legend? Hyperbole much?

I can actually get the urge to call some dude a legend if you actually meet him - there's a pressure to kiss ass. But P4P #1 is too specific, I can actually see Nate getting offended if you called him that. It's kinda like calling a dude "champ" who was never champ. Some guys would take it as an honor, others as an insult.
I don’t know man, their first two albums are essential in my book but especially Black Sunday. Theyre definitely legends as they were a part of that early 90’s West Coast rap. Most everyone knows who B-Real is.
Most everyone definitely does not know who BReal is.

I grew up back when Cypress Hill was actually big. I've never heard of BReal until this thread.

If I asked my friends who grew up back then who BReal was, I'm not sure a single one would know him. They'd know Cypress Hill though.

You can call Cypress Hill legendary maybe, but not BReal. There are plenty of bands and groups that would be called legendary, but not most of their individual members.

Just being on the '96 Bulls doesn't make you a legend. There are some legendary teams that don't have any legendary players at all (though usually they do).

The problem with rap is that it is heavily contemporary. It sounds cool for the teenagers and immature adults at the time, but after a few years it loses its appeal and the albums end up in used CD stores and remains hip only in the minds of the childish adults who refuse to grow up.
Nonsense.

Most people will go crazy once "California Love" starts playing at a party or something.

There are a lot of classic rap songs.

So many trash rappers itt.

real heads knows Lil Pump is the best to ever do it.

While you make a good point about rap having more dated references than other music, that doesn't disqualify a song from being a classic.

Jump Around has a few dated references, but is still a great and beloved song.

The only issue I have with this is lumping PE in with gansta rap like Ghetto Boys and NWA. Public Enemy was about social consciousness rather than any sort of lifestyle.

But to the mainstream of the time, it was lumped together with all the other angry rap about injustice and life in the inner cities. It totally was not gangsta rap, but that doesnt mean that it wasnt perceived as such by the mainstream and what we would call the casuals. Fight the Power held the same anger and threat of violence to the uninformed as F*ck the Police did and to a lot of them might have been made by the same group. Sad but unfortunate reality of that period of rap/hiphop.

Nate Diaz P4P #1? BReal legend? Hyperbole much?

I can actually get the urge to call some dude a legend if you actually meet him - there's a pressure to kiss ass. But P4P #1 is too specific, I can actually see Nate getting offended if you called him that. It's kinda like calling a dude "champ" who was never champ. Some guys would take it as an honor, others as an insult.

Most everyone definitely does not know who BReal is.

I grew up back when Cypress Hill was actually big. I've never heard of BReal until this thread.

If I asked my friends who grew up back then who BReal was, I'm not sure a single one would know him. They'd know Cypress Hill though.

You can call Cypress Hill legendary maybe, but not BReal. There are plenty of bands and groups that would be called legendary, but not most of their individual members.

Just being on the '96 Bulls doesn't make you a legend. There are some legendary teams that don't have any legendary players at all (though usually they do).
If you had any good knowledge of West Coast rap around the early 90’s or even of Cypress Hill, most everyone would know who B Real is. Especially after that back and forth with Ice Cube.

If you had any good knowledge of West Coast rap around the early 90’s or even of Cypress Hill, most everyone would know who B Real is. Especially after that back and forth with Ice Cube.
If you were a hardcore follower you might know BReal, but that's a big if and you can't then say "most everyone".

I assure you, most people I grew up with, who did grow up in that era, would have no idea who BReal was (though most would know Cypress Hill). BReal was not individually famous back then at all.

You're not nearly as big a fan as you think then.

Over 18 million albums sold. Latin rap pioneer. West coast rap pioneer.
Lmao don't test me.

I know exactly what they have done, I dont call enrique iglesia a pop legend. He's a latino pop legend.

Lmao don't test me.

I know exactly what they have done, I dont call enrique iglesia a pop legend. He's a latino pop legend.

This is foolishness. Enrique Iglesias isn't a pioneer of pop music.

The fact you don't know they are legends shows how little you know. Cypress Hill is one of the greatest rap groups of all time.

Back