[Video] How to do a Daniel Cormier style Bodylock outside trip Takedown

PolskiGhost

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
[YT]CUmTrAHBWTA[/YT]

Courtesy of Submission Radio's Technique of the week

FYI: Next week we'll have a vid covering Jon Jones' double leg that he used against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 178

Cormier's the man. I love how he prefers high amplitude clinch throws/sweeps to double legs. As a judoka I appreciate the power and technique he puts into his takedowns.

Cormier's the man. I love how he prefers high amplitude clinch throws/sweeps to double legs. As a judoka I appreciate the power and technique he puts into his takedowns.

Definitely beats just diving at the legs.

For a short limbed guy like me the clinch is where i get my takedowns. Shooting doubles never works. Diving for a leg at heavyweight often times seals your fate.

I go in for singles and switch to body lock.

For a short limbed guy like me the clinch is where i get my takedowns. Shooting doubles never works. Diving for a leg at heavyweight often times seals your fate.

I go in for singles and switch to body lock.

I have more legs than torso but not explosive enough to get doubles so the clinch and judo feels better for me...

where is holt to cringe at the outside trip

This guy isnt doing an outside trip. He is doing a step around, and he is doing it with zero hip pop. Again, this is something I would lecture one of my wrestlers for doing. Not the step around, rather, trying to hit the move with absolutely no hip engagement. The guy showing the moves takes himself from a very strong position, and because of having no hip pop, he puts himself into a 50/50 position on the ground with both guys being on their side.

This is the equivalent of being in mount, stepping off into an armbar, and just pulling the guys arm down rather than raising your hips. It is a major beginners mistake.

It's the trip that makes him fall to his hip

He should re-square his hips when falling to get side control

This guy isnt doing an outside trip. He is doing a step around, and he is doing it with zero hip pop. Again, this is something I would lecture one of my wrestlers for doing. Not the step around, rather, trying to hit the move with absolutely no hip engagement. The guy showing the moves takes himself from a very strong position, and because of having no hip pop, he puts himself into a 50/50 position on the ground with both guys being on their side.

This is the equivalent of being in mount, stepping off into an armbar, and just pulling the guys arm down rather than raising your hips. It is a major beginners mistake.

Could you elaborate on, hip pop? Maybe post a video of someone properly using the step around.
Do you mean something like what Ben Askren demonstrates in this video. :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zglFcLZ0VdQ

There was a thread on what takedowns to do from bodylock a week ago or so ago and people were saying this only works against novices and generally hating on it.

[YT]CUmTrAHBWTA[/YT]

Courtesy of Submission Radio's Technique of the week

FYI: Next week we'll have a vid covering Jon Jones' double leg that he used against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 178

I really like Cormier but how is the Cormier style? The guys in the video seem a bit shaky on this even if they are MMA guys.

Again I like Cormier but this is a many different wrestler style thing. It is also less of a trip than it looks like, it can work without the trip, it's a step around.

Edit: It seems others have already corrected the TS.

Cormier's takedowns are more foot sweeps combined with power. He doesn't drag them where he has to hustle to get into position.

It's similar to how henderson and couture would use the clinch. Except DC hasn't become a striker neglecting using wrestling offensively

Cormier's takedowns are more foot sweeps combined with power. He doesn't drag them where he has to hustle to get into position.

It's similar to how henderson and couture would use the clinch. Except DC hasn't become a striker neglecting using wrestling offensively

Ummmm

I thought you were a wrestler? Which college or university was that? I have done plenty of foot sweeps and to say that "Cormier's takedowns are more foot sweeps" is wrong. He may use some foot sweeps but I haven't seen him do one yet, saying this makes me think you actually don't have any real experience.

He did one foot sweep against hendo I recall, while hendo was running away. But that's the only one I can remember.

Even in judo I don't think you would call the TS vid a foot sweep or reap. It's more like Tani Otoshi.

Btw not unlike Tani Otoshi the guy is in position to throw you with a head and arm if you aren't careful.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated, especially Dirty Holt. I've seen you post and you always have good insight. I'll pass it on to Shawn next time I see him.

Could you elaborate on, hip pop? Maybe post a video of someone properly using the step around.
Do you mean something like what Ben Askren demonstrates in this video. :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zglFcLZ0VdQ

Yes, exactly. He also has a very good explanation of what people usually try and why its wrong. Here is a video of me from college where I hit multiple step around body locks. Skip to 2:00 and I hit one with some good hip pop.

[YT]yx2-uU2SzKo&list=UUESsiVBBT3LN0pvXKCDdvYg[/YT]

Yep, that was pretty bad technique.

You have to lower your center of gravity and pop your hips in to hit this throw at a high success rate. I'm admittedly not a huge thrower, but the techniques I have a good idea about.

That technique is more of a knee block. There is no reason to step in belly to belly with your opponent like that when you aren't gaining an advantage (popping your hips and lowering your center of gravity).

Look at the difference between Daniel Cormier's throw and the OP's video (Yes, I know this is from over/unders, but it is the same idea):

tumblr_n642czZmh11rofocqo1_500.gif

Here's a vid (click link it will play at the time, it's at 2 minutes 43 seconds in the vid):

http://youtu.be/OZLjdu9QFJ4?t=2m43s

Last edited:
Yes, exactly. He also has a very good explanation of what people usually try and why its wrong. Here is a video of me from college where I hit multiple step around body locks. Skip to 2:00 and I hit one with some good hip pop.

[YT]yx2-uU2SzKo&list=UUESsiVBBT3LN0pvXKCDdvYg[/YT]
Thanks man, great post!

Btw not unlike Tani Otoshi the guy is in position to throw you with a head and arm if you aren't careful.

Yep in Tani otoshi your leg goes straight and the heel is on the ground but hip hop explanation makes more sense, is like Olympic lifting, more power ...

Back