Video: First Amateur Muay Thai Fight

Deo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, last September I had my first muay thai fight (amateur/smoker) here in the Philippines and sadly, also my first loss. I lost via unanimous decision. I was hoping if you can give me more advice and comment on how to improve my game. Thanks!

ROUND 1 (Im the one in the blue and white shorts)

ROUND 2

ROUND 3

Hey guys, last September I had my first muay thai fight (amateur/smoker) here in the Philippines and sadly, also my first loss. I lost via unanimous decision. I was hoping if you can give me more advice and comment on how to improve my game. Thanks!

ROUND 1 (Im the one in the blue and white shorts)

ROUND 2

ROUND 3

Congrats on your first event, it takes stones to step up and begin your competitive journey.

Like most new fresh fighters, you have a few issues that should be addressed for your future fights

-Your opponent hits you, and you don't do anything. Although you don't think of it much, not firing back, you basically tell your opponent that there is no penalty for hitting you and it's fine. This will give him confidence. Don't let that happen, punish him for hitting you, don't let him think its okay to do that and you're not a free pass. You may feel that you're not in a position to throw a 100% power strike, but even so, throw something. Even if its weak, it'll affect him upstairs, he will feel there's a threat, and will start to overthink and not tee off on you so easily. The worst thing you can do is let your opponent build confidence, because eventually he'll start to throw stronger and more dangerous strikes feeling its okay.
Also, the longer you wait to retaliate, the worse the strike will be: eg. if you wait too long (3+ strikes) you may eat a outside knee, or a liver kick. Retaliate and interrupt his flurry, try to never let him get more than 3 strikes off of you, ideally 2.

-If MT in the Philippines has ruleset like in America, and ring control is a big criteria, then you need to work on that as well. In north america, ring control is tied in with aggression (3 criterias are control, aggression, effective striking) losing on RC would have you down on aggression as well when it comes to decision time (which is usually the case with ammy, most fights usually end up in a decision).
To work on this, you would "press forward" more, and when things become too tight, clinch up and work from there. Basically try to stay at the center of the ring, and make your opponent circle around and not drive you into a corner.
You should work on your clinching more for your next fight, right now it seems whatever you're doing in the clinch is out of basic instinct.

-Throw combinations, single shots are easy to see through and eventually counter, combinations is harder to do so (unless more experienced and you can read or tell). Besides, you can (and should) flower bs with your combos, and mask the bs with your real kill strike
eg. 1,2,3,kick. Most would have the 3 or the kick as the main power shot, the others are bs to get your opponent stationary/shelled up.

-You should have your hands higher. In the 2nd, your leg kick was too close, and you didn't have a guard so the cross was right there. Its okay to not rely too heavily on hands up, but doing so, you need to be good at distance management, and having hands down while in range for your opponent's powershot does you no good.

-For defense, either: block + stay firm, or move, not both. Moving while blocking (esp backwards) your base won't be solid and it won't be sturdy as it should when stationary. Think of being a tank when blocking. When he's too close, clinch up by:
hands up -> step in like you do with a jab, except this time the jab will be your arm coming out to grab him to pull him in. Don't think of reaching for him with your arms, think of stepping to him and pulling him in. The issue with most when they think of reaching is that by instinct, your chin come up to the clouds (aka uppercut city for your opponent)

Overall its not bad for a first fight, you're fairly technical, but like myself when I first started, you need to learn how to "fight". Be more aggressive and keep control by pressing forward, should you jam your distance (which you will, both of you pressing forward you'll end up clinching), clinch up and work. He hits you, make him pay for that. I know this sounds easier said than done, but its something we all go through when we first start out. Try not to think about what he has offensively, when you think and worry about what can hit you, thats when you slow down, and if he doesn't think about your offense, he'll start throwing heat.
The thing with new fighters, esp. at your stage, is that the fights are mostly fueled on animalistic instinct, aggression, and hormones. Its usually a nasty ugly brawl. By learning to "fight", you are basically trying to overcome your opponent's aggression with yours. As you get more experienced, things do start to appear more technical.

To have this take effect for your next fight/event, repetition after repetition needs to be put in. When we fight, we lose some cognitive thinking, and the basics that I mention (interrupting his flurry, throwing combos, retaliating ASAP) will only work when it becomes ingrained in you as muscle memory, and become borderline instinctual.
It took me 2 camps to get things working on autopilot. Pretty much a year of in and out of throwing combos, being reactive, countering with combos, and pressing forward, almost every training day (4-6 days a week).

In your defense, you do get out of the corner quick and thats a good thing. The 3rd round was yours, I liked the body kick, and you were starting to thow combos (jab,kick -- though short, its a good one nevertheless). Also, I have to ask, that huge light on the left, did it affect your vision at any time during the fight? That thing on the vid looks like you'd be starring straight into the sun.

cheers

Last edited:
Congrats on your first event, it takes stones to step up and begin your competitive journey.

Like most new fresh fighters, you have a few issues that should be addressed for your future fights

-Your opponent hits you, and you don't do anything. Although you don't think of it much, not firing back, you basically tell your opponent that there is no penalty for hitting you and it's fine. This will give him confidence. Don't let that happen, punish him for hitting you, don't let him think its okay to do that and you're not a free pass. You may feel that you're not in a position to throw a 100% strike, but even so, throw something. Even if its weak, it'll affect him upstairs, he will feel there's a threat, and will start to overthink and not tee off on you so easily. The worst thing you can do is let your opponent build confidence, because eventually he'll start to throw stronger and more dangerous strikes feeling its okay.
Also, the longer you wait to retaliate, the worse the strike will be: eg. if you wait too long (3+ strikes) you may eat a outside knee, or a liver kick. Retaliate and interrupt his flurry, try to never let him get more than 3 strikes off of you, ideally 2.

-if MT in the Philippines has ruleset like in America, and ring control is a big criteria, then you need to work on that as well. In north america, ring control is tied in with aggression (3 criterias are control, aggression, effective striking) losing on RC would have you down on aggression as well when it comes to decision time (which is usually the case with ammy, most fights usually end up in a decision).
To work on this, you would "press forward" more, and when things become too tight, clinch up and work from there. Basically try to stay at the center of the ring, and make your opponent circle around and not drive you into a corner.
You should work on your clinching more for your next fight, right now it seems whatever you're doing in the clinch is out of basic instinct.

-Throw combinations, single shots are easy to see through and eventually counter, combinations is harder to do so (unless more experienced and you can read or tell). Besides, you can (and should) flower bs with your combos, and mask the bs with your real kill strike
eg. 1,2,3,kick. Most would have the 3 or the kick as the main power shot, the others are bs to get your opponent stationary/shelled up.

-You should have your hands higher. In the 2nd, your leg kick was too close, and you didn't have a guard so the cross was right there. Its okay to not rely too heavily on hands up, but doing so, you need to be good at distance management, and having hands down while in range for your opponent's powershot does you no good.

-For defense, either: block + stay firm, or move, not both. Moving while blocking (esp backwards) your base won't be solid and it won't be sturdy as it should when stationary. Think of being a tank when blocking. When he's too close, clinch up by:
hands up -> step in like you do with a jab, except this time the jab will be your arm coming out to grab him to pull him in. Don't think of reaching for him with your arms, think of stepping to him and pulling him in. The issue with most when they think of reaching is that by instinct, your chin come up to the clouds (aka uppercut city for your opponent)

Overall its not bad for a first fight, you're fairly technical, but like myself when I first started, you need to learn how to "fight". Be more aggressive and keep control by pressing forward, should you jam your distance (which you will, both of you pressing forward you'll end up clinching), clinch up and work. He hits you, make him pay for that. I know this sounds easier said than done, but its something we all go throw when we first start out. Try not to think about what he has offensively, when you think and worry about what can hit you, thats when you slow down, and if he doesn't think about your offense, he'll start throwing heat.
The thing with new fighters, esp. at your stage, is that the fights are mostly fueled on animalistic instinct, aggression, and hormones. Its usually a nasty ugly brawl. By learning to "fight", you are basically trying to overcome your opponent's aggression with yours. As you get more experienced, things do start to appear more technical.

To have this take effect for your next fight/event, repetition after repetition needs to be put in. When we fight, we lose some cognitive thinking, and the basics that I mention (interrupting his flurry, throwing combos, retaliating ASAP) will only work when it becomes ingrained in you as muscle memory and become borderline instinctual.
It took me 2 camps to get things working on autopilot. Pretty much a year of in and out of throwing combos, being reactive, countering with combos, and pressing forward, almost every training day (4-6 days a week).

In your defense, you do get out of the corner quick and thats a good thing. The 3rd round was yours, I liked the body kick, and you were starting to thow combos (jab,kick -- though short, its a good one nevertheless). Also, I have to ask, that huge light on the left, did it affect your vision at any time during the fight? That thing on the vid looks like you'd be starring straight into the sun.

cheers

Thanks a lot j123! Before coming in this fight, I was told that my opponent was gonna be aggressive and that he had a good straight. I knew he wasn't going to kick that much so that's why I relied on more on my kicking. I think that strategy was working for the first round and I thought I won the first round though. In the second round, I kinda felt bad after I got knocked down because I knew the round was his. In the third round, I should've held more in the clinch rather than pushing him away and trying to land a kick. Nevertheless, it was a great learning experience

Thanks for the advice, I will try to implement what you've said in my training! Oh and regarding the huge light, it didnt bother me.

I am nowhere that competent but this is what I saw.

- good kicks and combos that finish with kicks, however your variety ends there - I think I only saw 1 straight right and no push kicks at all. I know more of boxing and establishing your jab is one of the most important things. I guess push kicks and jabs would be the most important to win a Muay Thai fight.
- following the first one, my game plan against you would be to just side step to the right and launch a jab or a combination as there is nothing to be afraid of but leg kicks.
- no counters as explained, but then again not enough aggression. Your opponent was not really scared to come in and punch you.
- control - if you want to win fights you need a way to control your opponent. That may be a distance control (against established with the jab), that may be a body control with clinching up and not giving him to hit you. For example if I miss a jab to a slip I try to immediately put my left on the head of my opponent to push him. If I miss some punch combo I would try to push him. I jab while going with my right hand forward too, to grab my opponent just in case. My coach always shouts CONTROL! If an attack is rhytm + get in + hit/combo then follows control. Control may be get out and make him miss, or create a new angle, or push or clinch. What I notice with your a lot of times that after you miss your right kick you do not establish control and the guy was launching at you.
- rhythm - while you are not static you seem to stop at one place a lot before launching an attack, you are getting kind of predictable. Few times though I liked how you jab and low kick on the move.

So whyle j123 gives an amazing advice, my not so experienced advice would be to work on your jab and push kicks and being able to mix things up a bit. Your boxing needs a lot of improvement. Work on control and rhytm.

That's good for a first. I suggest setting up your kicks first with strikes/feints. Also hold your ground more, countering at same time or right after blocking, or try to angle to the side instead of hopping back.

I am nowhere that competent but this is what I saw.

- good kicks and combos that finish with kicks, however your variety ends there - I think I only saw 1 straight right and no push kicks at all. I know more of boxing and establishing your jab is one of the most important things. I guess push kicks and jabs would be the most important to win a Muay Thai fight.
- following the first one, my game plan against you would be to just side step to the right and launch a jab or a combination as there is nothing to be afraid of but leg kicks.
- no counters as explained, but then again not enough aggression. Your opponent was not really scared to come in and punch you.
- control - if you want to win fights you need a way to control your opponent. That may be a distance control (against established with the jab), that may be a body control with clinching up and not giving him to hit you. For example if I miss a jab to a slip I try to immediately put my left on the head of my opponent to push him. If I miss some punch combo I would try to push him. I jab while going with my right hand forward too, to grab my opponent just in case. My coach always shouts CONTROL! If an attack is rhytm + get in + hit/combo then follows control. Control may be get out and make him miss, or create a new angle, or push or clinch. What I notice with your a lot of times that after you miss your right kick you do not establish control and the guy was launching at you.
- rhythm - while you are not static you seem to stop at one place a lot before launching an attack, you are getting kind of predictable. Few times though I liked how you jab and low kick on the move.

So whyle j123 gives an amazing advice, my not so experienced advice would be to work on your jab and push kicks and being able to mix things up a bit. Your boxing needs a lot of improvement. Work on control and rhytm.

Thanks! Really appreciate the feedback. I like your idea about "control" and how you create distance when you miss a combo!

That's good for a first. I suggest setting up your kicks first with strikes/feints. Also hold your ground more, countering at same time or right after blocking, or try to angle to the side instead of hopping back.

Thanks MrJak! Footwork together with angles will definitely help me on my next fight :D

Very good man. I thought you looked much more polished than your opponent. This was a close fight. Had he not got the knock down you probably would have won. He threw barely a kick and relied on sloppy boxing. Good footwork and combos. Try staying in the pocket more and to reiterate what another poster said, punish him when he hits you. He won due to aggression, but his balance was way off.

Back