video claims NO martial art is effective against knife assailant

sundaysuit said:
bullshit or not im not trying to mess with someone with a knife.

We've got a winner . It happened to me two time : first time i was playing basket and i saw that bastard toying with his knife until the moment when we started to mess , i just kept my distance and launched my basket-ball straight on him then i left the scene Carl Lewis style , the second time something like that happened i had nothing to throw at him so i did not took any risk i kept my distance and as soon as he tryed to get close i left Carl Lewis style again ( i don't even remember asking myself to run 'cause before i even wanted to make a choice my brain took the control and i had already covered 300 meters !! ) , thanks god i wasn't trapped in a place where i couldn't leave !

the only thing effective against weapons like knives and guns are situational awareness, speed, and luck.

ok, you guys believe it,
and just run,
if you can't run, then what?

your toast?

awesome... that is great.

the guy never actually said nothing works if you are unarmed, he just said that a lot of the things ppl are taught doesn't work. or he may be saying that, i am not sure

VampireMonk said:
ok, you guys believe it,
and just run,
if you can't run, then what?

your toast?

awesome... that is great.
That's not what he's saying. Running should be the first option. Even if the guy with the knife is untrained and you're trained, you're still at a major disadvantage. That's the entire purpose of a weapon, to give one an advantage in combat. Nobody is saying that you should just take it if you can't flee and your only choice is to fight.

If fighting is your first option and you don't even consider the possibility of fleeing, then you're watching too many Hollywood movies. There are exceptions; a bouncer or a LEO shouldn't flee as they have responsibility to their patrons and civilians, but the average joe should run. For every guy that successfully defends himself against a knife, there are probably many more who are not so lucky.

I thought this was understood like we breathe air,
no shit sherlock type stuff.

so nobody cares to move on to once this is understood, what is next?

I was the only one who was talking about chapter 2 and on,
all you guys are still talking about chapter 1 and trying to bring me back to chapter 1.

a man sitting directly next to me on the subway suddenly jumped up and pulled out a knife. i quickly exited to the left (he was on my right) to the next train car. I moved quickly but I didn't run (i think i thought that running would spook him. i was the first one out of the car, strangely enough, even tho i wasn't the closest to the door. other subway riders seemed pinned to their seats, either in fear or stupidity i don't know (it's hard to believe they didn't see the knife; the guy was waving it around like a lunatic). however, if i hadn't been able to duck out the train car to the left (say, the door is locked, or it's the kind of train where you can't pass between cars), then ther would have been no almost no chance for me to run, duck, or hide anywhere. it's just a train car, there is really no place to go. so suppose this is actually the case: running is not an option. it's just you and a knife-wielding maniac on a moving subway car, and he's focused his attention on you (well, luckily in my case it seems as tho he did NOT focus his attention on me). everyone is ducking out of the car on the other side, behind the guy with the knife. he's totally unpredictable; he can adopt any offensive posture at any time. he might not even attack you at all. the train will stop at the next station in about 90 seconds, at which time the doors will open. what's your stategy?

I know a martial art that's effective against every assailant.

It's called Glock-Fu.

SteakTips said:
I know a martial art that's effective against every assailant.

It's called Glock-Fu.

Doesn't work if the assailant is trained in the art of Kevlarjitsu, and more crimminals than you may think are.

Gregster said:
Doesn't work if the assailant is trained in the art of Kevlarjitsu, and more crimminals than you may think are.

While Kevlar will protect you from an otherwise fatal shot, it still feels like getting hit in the gut with a hammer. It dosen't penetrate, but it still transfers it's energy to the attacker, and it's definatley going to ruin his day.

Besides, all the cool kids are doing Mozambique drills these days.

Kozma said:
the only thing effective against weapons like knives and guns are situational awareness, speed, and luck.

Got to agree with this dude,

1) I try to never put myself in a situation where a knife or any other weapon attack is likely.

2) Always be aware of who and what is around you.

3) Following on from point 2, if anyone pulls a knife or any other weapon on me im going to pick up/throw everything that is not bolted onto the ground and thus use it as an incidental weapon. Bottles, chairs, tables, a handfull of change, ashtrays etc etc.

4) Point 3 was a last resort, point 4 is always to get the fuck out of there if u can. Fuck it, if you wanna get the guy back later on you can do that if you want but at least have a weapon of your own/more friends to back you up.

Graveyards are full of heros.

I'm surprised that this video is controversial.

I've had sparring sessions with partners just like that and we found that those results are the norm. Usually you get cut up trying to unsuccessfully get the knife away. Note that we practice 'knife defenses'but they all rely on someone overcommitting and not feinting with the knife. They are good drills to practice, but the reality is that they are a last resort.

If you disagree with the conclusions of this video practice free sparring with some of your training partners with a fake knife. Very difficult to take it away without getting sliced to ribbons if you are of similar athletic abilities.

The guy in the video didn't say you shouldn't practice this sort of stuff. He just said don't put 100 percent faith in it. That is common sense.

SteakTips said:
While Kevlar will protect you from an otherwise fatal shot, it still feels like getting hit in the gut with a hammer. It dosen't penetrate, but it still transfers it's energy to the attacker, and it's definatley going to ruin his day.

Kevlar is designed to dissipate energy away from the point of impact in such a way as to not only prevent a bullet from penetrating but to allow the person wearing it to be able to return fire against an assailant. Not surprisingly, the designers of your better body armor (i.e. Second Chance) took into account the fact that a bulletproof vest doesn't do much good if all it does is force an assailant to shoot you a second time while you're staggered from getting shot the first time.

Tiger_vs_Mantis said:
a man sitting directly next to me on the subway suddenly jumped up and pulled out a knife. i quickly exited to the left (he was on my right) to the next train car. I moved quickly but I didn't run (i think i thought that running would spook him. i was the first one out of the car, strangely enough, even tho i wasn't the closest to the door. other subway riders seemed pinned to their seats, either in fear or stupidity i don't know (it's hard to believe they didn't see the knife; the guy was waving it around like a lunatic). however, if i hadn't been able to duck out the train car to the left (say, the door is locked, or it's the kind of train where you can't pass between cars), then ther would have been no almost no chance for me to run, duck, or hide anywhere. it's just a train car, there is really no place to go. so suppose this is actually the case: running is not an option. it's just you and a knife-wielding maniac on a moving subway car, and he's focused his attention on you (well, luckily in my case it seems as tho he did NOT focus his attention on me). everyone is ducking out of the car on the other side, behind the guy with the knife. he's totally unpredictable; he can adopt any offensive posture at any time. he might not even attack you at all. the train will stop at the next station in about 90 seconds, at which time the doors will open. what's your stategy?

if he gives an opening, stun him hard, and then finish him.

VampireMonk said:
if he gives an opening, stun him hard, and then finish him.

Uh.... yeah. Sure. Do that.

villin said:
The other was a guy who had three years of muay thai training. He stopped the attack with a front kick to the attacker's gut and then grabbed and controlled the knife hand with both of his. After that it got really ugly for the knife attacker, he got pressed up against a nearby car and demolished by knee strikes. Once he dropped the knife, that left him open to elbow strikes from his victim. Two broken ribs, a broken nose and a crushed orbital bone later the cops arrived and took him away to the hospital and then from there jail.

All three of those attacks happened within 10 feet of separation.

...and everyone lived happily ever after.
Sorry buddy, muay thai is not the way to go to defend against a knife attack.

E-ville said:
assholes like that are the reason i throw rocks

...or whatever is nearby, some posters just get frustrated because the striking art they have spent so much time practicing on is not the best option at this situations.

Back