Video: Boxing video of Me Boxing on Video

Samuel Reynoso

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys. Got some sparring footage from the other day. I edited 3 rounds together, but with all equipment issues we had it ended up only being 5 minutes of actual work.

I'm trying some stuff out, and working on a few specific thing. I'm going light, but a few times I play around too much, and got myself into some pretty funky spots. Mainly, I almost turn my back a few times. My sparring partner takes advantage by moving to get behind me when I do this. I think I know how to turn that whole scenario into a trap though, so it's all part of the plan. Also, I don't really jab much here, but sometimes I make a choice not to jab in order to force myself to work on other things.

Please feel free to criticizer anything and everything guys. Thank you

Quick back story: I'm the bigger guy, and the funny voice is the camera guy saying "Get him Danny"

Last edited:
You're experienced and know what you're doing. There's no denying you're decent or even good.

I'm no boxer, so I can't give too much technical advice so perhaps it's due to my uneducated opinion, but I think that your sparring partner was just not on your level, so we cant see anything to criticise realistically speaking.

Judging by your sparring partners strikes, and his inability to dodge anything you threw, or his lack of capitalizing on your playfulness, then I can only assume you're that much better than him and since you're not forced to actually spar/fight, then we cant see how you'd actually react.

You're the guy in the white righ?

It seems a little bit like you let him tee off and with you saying you are working on some things, it's hard to judge the entire picture. Obviously he is a bit of a spaz and didn't really pick up on it, but pressure can be a daunting thing, even from someone who is not as technically sound.

I see what you are trying to do. Keep good posture, roll and dodge and shots. You do a lot of things right, but it's a little lackadaisical. Don't get into the habit of admiring your work so much, especially on the right hand. You don't set it up most of the time and you load your hip on it, it's very easy to see coming.

Use your jab more on the outside. Don't paw it as much. When he comes in, even if you let him in and don't try to stay on the outside (seemed like you let him close the distance), make him pay a little each time, and make him work a little more for it by taking a few angles on him. I know that the defense you are using is more upright cause you are leaning and rolling, but the few times you took a high guard you were too straight with your head up. Sink into the high/square guard when you are doing it, and catch and counter a few times. He was wide open. Even if you are working defense, or if you prefer using the upright shell and turning, work that too. Counter hooks, or reactionary hooks over the top would have caught him a hundred times when he was in your face.

Back to loading up a little bit again and setting up. I know it's hard to set things up against a guy like him because he doesn't give you space to work, but the few times he hesitated on the outside set up your punches a little more. More jabs, high low and jab before the right. You can sink into the hip and then lunge yourself forward like you did with the hook a few times when you wanted to advance, but again, mix it up. It get's a little too potshotting, hit him more. That is a matter of style of course, but you have to have your bases covered.

Anyyyyway, nice sparring! It's so great to see these quality sparring videos. You obviously know a lot. Can you expand a little on what exactly you wanted to work on?

Last edited:
You're experienced and know what you're doing. There's no denying you're decent or even good.

I'm no boxer, so I can't give too much technical advice so perhaps it's due to my uneducated opinion, but I think that your sparring partner was just not on your level, so we cant see anything to criticise realistically speaking.

Judging by your sparring partners strikes, and his inability to dodge anything you threw, or his lack of capitalizing on your playfulness, then I can only assume you're that much better than him and since you're not forced to actually spar/fight, then we cant see how you'd actually react.

I knew that was going to be a problem before I posted. I feel like my 'playfulness' still reveals my bad habits though. I mean I'm still trying to not get hit and be productive.

You're the guy in the white righ?

It seems a little bit like you let him tee off and with you saying you are working on some things, it's hard to judge the entire picture. Obviously he is a bit of a spaz and didn't really pick up on it, but pressure can be a daunting thing, even from someone who is not as technically sound.

I see what you are trying to do. Keep good posture, roll and dodge and shots. You do a lot of things right, but it's a little lackadaisical. Don't get into the habit of admiring your work so much, especially on the right hand. You don't set it up most of the time and you load your hip on it, it's very easy to see coming.

Use your jab more on the outside. Don't paw it as much. When he comes in, even if you let him in and don't try to stay on the outside (seemed like you let him close the distance), make him pay a little each time, and make him work a little more for it by taking a few angles on him. I know that the defense you are using is more upright cause you are leaning and rolling, but the few times you took a high guard you were too straight with your head up. Sink into the high/square guard when you are doing it, and catch and counter a few times. He was wide open. Even if you are working defense, or if you prefer using the upright shell and turning, work that too. Counter hooks, or reactionary hooks over the top would have caught him a hundred times when he was in your face.

Back to loading up a little bit again and setting up. I know it's hard to set things up against a guy like him because he doesn't give you space to work, but the few times he hesitated on the outside set up your punches a little more. More jabs, high low and jab before the right. You can sink into the hip and then lunge yourself forward like you did with the hook a few times when you wanted to advance, but again, mix it up. It get's a little too potshotting, hit him more. That is a matter of style of course, but you have to have your bases covered.

Anyyyyway, nice sparring! It's so great to see these quality sparring videos. You obviously know a lot. Can you expand a little on what exactly you wanted to work on?

Yeah, I'm in the white shirt. The other guy is Danny, and your right about him not giving much space. He likes to get into his opponents face, but he has a fight tomorrow, so he was being extra aggressive . I knew he would be. and I even talked shit to encourage it.

He doesn't know it, but I'm taking turns with him. So, I let him work, and then I try to win the next exchange. The problem is that I do get lackadaisical when it's not my turn. It's a dumb thing I do and I fight it tendency.

All your points are spot on. I've been thinking I need work with turning off on an angle when guys come at me. So, I'm trying to limit the amount of steps I take backwards, pivot to safety, but still be relatively close( I don't actually pull this off much in the video ). With this guy if I step back he's just gonna keep coming. Maybe I could hit him with a rock-away style counter, but I need to work on my pivots anyway. In general, I was trying to be lower and come from underneath more. Normally I'm more bouncy which hides the tells for my offense more, but sometime people get my head up with the jab.

I hear what your saying about the potshotting, sinking into a high guard, and trowing counter hooks when in close. I wait too much on the inside.

To expand on what I was working on that put me in awkward positions. Turning southpaw and D'Amato shifting to my left.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm in the white shirt. The other guy is Danny, and your right about him not giving much space. He likes to get into his opponents face, but he has a fight tomorrow, so he was being extra aggressive . I knew he would be. and I even talked shit to encourage it.

He doesn't know it, but I'm taking turns with him. So, I let him work, and then I try to win the next exchange. The problem is that I do get lackadaisical when it's not my turn. It's a dumb thing I do and I fight it tendency.

All your points are spot on. I've been thinking I need work with turning off on an angle when guys come at me. So, I'm trying to limit the amount of steps I take backwards, pivot to safety, but still be relatively close( I don't actually pull this off much in the video ). With this guy if I step back he's just gonna keep coming. Maybe I could hit him with a rock-away style counter, but I need to work on my pivots anyway. In general, I was trying to be lower and come from underneath more. Normally I'm more bouncy which hides the tells for my offence more, but sometime people get my head up with the jab.

I hear what your saying about the potshotting, sinking into a high guard, and trowing counter hooks when in close. I wait too much on the inside.

To expand on what I was working on that put me in awkward positions. Turning southpaw and D'Amato shifting to my left.
I see, very cool. You are a good training partner.

After you dodged, you leaned in and managed to turn him a few times. Like at 3:27-3:30. It was a bit dangerous (he could have caught you with a right at one point), and you ended up in southpaw, but you did it. And if you are practicing southpaw, then it's all good. Yeah I think being lackadaisical and getting punched upward a little during the flurries are the big takeaway. You can get away wth being less sharp with your hands down against him, but a good and fast opponent, you need to be sharp.

Obviously there is always something to work on, and I think working more on pivots and angles would benefit you. Against an aggressive guy like him, the check hook is a good tool. It's even better when you are southpaw. Active from the outside, be sharp, check hook and pivot when he comes in, angles, if he traps you against the ropes smother and turn him, and step out. If you are stuck, catch and counter, roll and counter, sink and counter. He has to pay for attacking you, that will deter him a little bit.

I know because I like to pressure. Someone who hits me in the face and makes me pay when moving in and attacking, while also turning and making me work hard/hit air is a pain in the ass.

Anyway, looking forward to your future videos. Hope your teammate does well!

I see, very cool. You are a good training partner.

After you dodged, you leaned in and managed to turn him a few times. Like at 3:27-3:30. It was a bit dangerous (he could have caught you with a right at one point), and you ended up in southpaw, but you did it. And if you are practicing southpaw, then it's all good. Yeah I think being lackadaisical and getting punched upward a little during the flurries are the big takeaway. You can get away wth being less sharp with your hands down against him, but a good and fast opponent, you need to be sharp.

Obviously there is always something to work on, and I think working more on pivots and angles would benefit you. Against an aggressive guy like him, the check hook is a good tool. It's even better when you are southpaw. Active from the outside, be sharp, check hook and pivot when he comes in, angles, if he traps you against the ropes smother and turn him, and step out. If you are stuck, catch and counter, roll and counter, sink and counter. He has to pay for attacking you, that will deter him a little bit.

I know because I like to pressure. Someone who hits me in the face and makes me pay when moving in and attacking, while also turning and making me work hard/hit air is a pain in the ass.

Anyway, looking forward to your future videos. Hope your teammate does well!

That pivot at 3:27 is the worst moment of the round to me lol. I floated over my front foot, and I should of got nailed in the chin with one foot of the floor, but he hit me in the chest. That's just bad technique. I don't drill pivots that way. I keep low with my weight back... But That's why we try.

That pivot at 3:27 is the worst moment of the round to me lol. I floated over my front foot, and I should of got nailed in the chin with one foot of the floor, but he hit me in the chest. That's just bad technique. I don't drill pivots that way. I keep low with my weight back... But That's why we try.
Haha yeah it was pretty reckless. I think you'll continuously keep getting better, you have your priorities right.

I see stiffness..

JK you're pretty good. Just don't let them get too comfortable but its sparring so what do I know

I see stiffness..

JK you're pretty good. Just don't let them get too comfortable but its sparring so what do I know
I think you hurt my feelings for a second.

And this kid is just a little crazy. He's a swarmer. I'd have to hurt him to make him do anything else.

I think you hurt my feelings for a second.

And this kid is just a little crazy. He's a swarmer. I'd have to hurt him to make him do anything else.

That's what I hate about sparring swarmers or brawlers. You have to plant down and hit them near 100% to get them to respect you, and sometimes it might make them wilder. Worst of all it's a friend or gym buddy of yours that you have to do that to.

I talk to my sparring partners and tell them to chill out and do it at 50% or even 80% when I'm going with brawlers or swarmers but they always work up to it like a real fight.

Am I in the wrong? I always find it a bit unfair that they can tee off on me unrealistically because they know my counters aren't coming in realistically. I dont have this problem with technical boxers though.

That's what I hate about sparring swarmers or brawlers. You have to plant down and hit them near 100% to get them to respect you, and sometimes it might make them wilder. Worst of all it's a friend or gym buddy of yours that you have to do that to.

I talk to my sparring partners and tell them to chill out and do it at 50% or even 80% when I'm going with brawlers or swarmers but they always work up to it like a real fight.

Am I in the wrong? I always find it a bit unfair that they can tee off on me unrealistically because they know my counters aren't coming in realistically. I dont have this problem with technical boxers though.
I think sometimes it feels like they are going harder, because they are hitting you more and pressuring you. The intensity is always harder, the weight behind the punches might not be.

No doubt some can't control themselves.

I feel like you're right. But I think it's a big benefit working with different styles as well. Swarmers think boxing is about punching. It's annoying because you might take a lot of glancing shots, but that shouldn't shut down your game. It's good practice for not getting drawn into firefights.

I think sometimes it feels like they are going harder, because they are hitting you more and pressuring you. The intensity is always harder, the weight behind the punches might not be.

No doubt some can't control themselves.

That's also true.

I feel like you're right. But I think it's a big benefit working with different styles as well. Swarmers think boxing is about punching. It's annoying because you might take a lot of glancing shots, but that shouldn't shut down your game. It's good practice for not getting drawn into firefights.

You're right in the sense that I get to work on my defense and counters. But it's also unrealistic because in reality, a well placed counter with bad intentions should slow them down, but seeing as how it's sparring and we're not supposed to go 100%, I can't give them anything that will earn their respect without being a douche, so they get to impose their game plan freely and I can't.

Reminds me similarly of sparring a grappler in MMA. They can grapple freely near 100% without worry of hurting me or themselves and tap me out or lay on me, but I can't really get them to respect a well timed knee or uppercut as a single or double leg counter obviously due to the fact it would hurt them.

So unrealistically, they power through light strikes and knees that would have most likely hurt them if not flat out knocked them out in a real fight, and now I'm being ground and pounded for the remainder of the sparring round.

I've had only one decent MMA sparring buddy who was a grappler who understood this. If I caught him with a good shot coming in he would abandon the take down and try again later in a way that wouldn't get him caught. Sorry for my rants I'm just so bored.

You're right in the sense that I get to work on my defense and counters. But it's also unrealistic because in reality, a well placed counter with bad intentions should slow them down, but seeing as how it's sparring and we're not supposed to go 100%, I can't give them anything that will earn their respect without being a douche, so they get to impose their game plan freely and I can't.

Reminds me similarly of sparring a grappler in MMA. They can grapple freely near 100% without worry of hurting me or themselves and tap me out or lay on me, but I can't really get them to respect a well timed knee or uppercut as a single or double leg counter obviously due to the fact it would hurt them.

So unrealistically, they power through light strikes and knees that would have most likely hurt them if not flat out knocked them out in a real fight, and now I'm being ground and pounded for the remainder of the sparring round.

I've had only one decent MMA sparring buddy who was a grappler who understood this. If I caught him with a good shot coming in he would abandon the take down and try again later in a way that wouldn't get him caught. Sorry for my rants I'm just so bored.

Well, you can still shut them down when you out strike them decently. I don't go 100% in sparring either, but against grapplers who I outclass in striking, even though I don't go hard (power wise), using a variety of attacks everywhere, they do shut down. An example would be throwing my usual combo, and they're now expecting a finish with a leg kick to catch, but I mix and go upstairs with a headkick, and mix it up more. Or every time they close up, throw the outside knee, and moving out of range again (take angles, backstep, whatever). Getting hit repeatedly, while not being able to land anything screws with our head. Now I'm not saying turn sparring into a fight, but you can still work around it.

Of course, along the lines after some time, we end up on the ground, its MMA sparring, I'm not the GOAT at TDD so its inevitable, but at least its not at the point where they don't respect my striking (or others).

But, honestly, if they're going rough with grappling, and doing the same with the gnp, feel free to go harder on your strikes. My gym in terms of power from hardest to lightest is: legs, body, head. A timed outside knee is fine, if its too much (get dropped) do the usual, and show there was no malice behind it, and it was just eating a counter.

At the end of the day, they're not doing themselves any favors sparring like that, if anything it's detrimental for them when they face a good (or even decent) striker in their fight. Underestimating striking like that leads to your typical pure grappler who shuts down in their fight.

Well, you can still shut them down when you out strike them decently. I don't go 100% in sparring either, but against grapplers who I outclass in striking, even though I don't go hard (power wise), using a variety of attacks everywhere, they do shut down. An example would be throwing my usual combo, and they're now expecting a finish with a leg kick to catch, but I mix and go upstairs with a headkick, and mix it up more. Or every time they close up, throw the outside knee, and moving out of range again (take angles, backstep, whatever). Getting hit repeatedly, while not being able to land anything screws with our head. Now I'm not saying turn sparring into a fight, but you can still work around it.

Of course, along the lines after some time, we end up on the ground, its MMA sparring, I'm not the GOAT at TDD so its inevitable, but at least its not at the point where they don't respect my striking (or others).

But, honestly, if they're going rough with grappling, and doing the same with the gnp, feel free to go harder on your strikes. My gym in terms of power from hardest to lightest is: legs, body, head. A timed outside knee is fine, if its too much (get dropped) do the usual, and show there was no malice behind it, and it was just eating a counter.

At the end of the day, they're not doing themselves any favors sparring like that, if anything it's detrimental for them when they face a good (or even decent) striker in their fight. Underestimating striking like that leads to your typical pure grappler who shuts down in their fight.

Just to expand on that. I want to bring up the Lyoto Machida vs Munoz fight. I remember Munoz telling reporters multiple times that he had this fight in the bag because in sparring sessions he was able to take down, hold, and ground and pound Lyoto Machida round after round.

I knew when Munoz said that, he was under the wrong impression that it would be easy. Because I know that in their sparring, Machida was most likely not throwing run crunching body kicks, knees, and nose flattening punches full force, without shin pads and with actual competition fight gloves.

A far cry from the careful sparring as to not injure your partner, friend, and fellow fighter.

People really suck at training haha. They really limit themselves by ignoring holes in their game. I know that gets said all the time, but really 80-90% don't think it applies to them. Idk what to tell you. Good training partners are rare. Good coaches are rare too. That's why I train myself. It seems like most everybody is just a meathead lol

I don't mind going from boxing to wrestling. I love to wrestle, so I cant really relate.

Back