Video: basic padwork with Meysam.

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score

Meysam came to me two years ago as a black belt in judo, Black sash in kung fu toa, and some background in afghan wrestling.

Every time you post a sparring or padwork or whatever video, your gym has a habit of doing like a burst of work and then totally relaxing in a cadence (for example you're doing what appears to be unnecessary circling to the complete opposite side of him, sometimes even turning your back to him.)

It reminds me of a story about the US Marines, during shooting practice they were required to clean up the spent shells, so after every clip they'd bend over and stuff them all in their pocket. After some real combat, Marines were coming back to base with their pockets stuffed full of shells and not remembering how they got there. Now it's forbidden to pick up your shells until you're done at the range. I don't know that the story is true, but it's believable and makes a point.

Do you find either in yourself or students forming habits of kind of going limp after a burst during real fights? I prefer to stay in "combat mode" when doing padwork, circling appropriately or whatever if the coach needs to call out combos, etc. Or do you see it differently than me?

Back