(video) Alistair Overeem talks possible fight with Cain Velasquez & predicts JDS vs. Ngannou | Page 4

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MMA Crazy TV, Jul 16, 2017.

1. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    Current options in the landscape, his resume and his name.. still many people like me consider Cain to be the best.

I think he will prove it when they fight.

And like I said if not him then who ? whats this great disservice if he gets the fight who exactly is he robbing of a tittle shot.

Reem ? JDS if he wins ? Francis ? even if he wins his fight is in September the earliest he could fight I'm thinking is December 30 NYE card.. cause in time for NY MSG he won't make it he will be to rushed for it to be fair, this are big HWs their camp is hell, can't rush them back to back so fast or you are just asking for an injury.

We shall find out in a month or so what are the plans.

2. mangokush Brown Belt

mangokush
    Reem lost his last fight.

Needs to work his way back up.

3. g*r*b Super-Stretch Waistband

g*r*b

I worry that JDS is rushing into another fight hoping to wash away the bad taste of losing as quick as possible. Like why Travis Browne stepped in to fight Werdum when Rothwell pulled out of UFC 203, after having being run through the Cain mill at UFC 200.

I like Ngannou and hope for his future success (except for against one person :) ), but the way he's become the teacher's pet chafes me. It's always unnerving and borderline unethical when you see management playing such obvious favorites.

As for knowing the guy who'll be a challenge and would put the fear in Stipe... It might surprise you to read me saying this, but though I obviously don't want Stipe to lose to Cain, I wouldn't be entirely sad. In fact a part of me would be excited. Because both of Stipe's losses in his career have served as catalysts that spurred him to new levels.

When he came into the UFC he showed obvious talent and promise but he was kinda scattered. The Struve loss focused him wonderfully. He regrouped, went back to the drawing board, and his next fight was the clinic he put on against Roy Nelson. But that loss had also instilled a cautiousness that made him more tolerant of leaving it in the hands of judges. Then the judges went against him in the first JDS fight. That reinstalled the killer instinct. His next fight was the brutal mauling of Hunt, followed by four straight first-round KOs.

If he were to lose now, lose his title because of it, and is determined to regain it because of his ferocious competitiveness and hatred for losing COMBINED with his fierce possessiveness over the belt... sweet holy hell, what might he become?

57316eb7ca6b69dded68df6c646c3103.jpg

One MMA Fan likes this.
  4. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    Well if we get technical here basically any fighter should have in theory access to UFC Performance center and all their personnel. But it's more then that, I'm sure the cover his rent, they put him in touch to the right people in Vegas and matchmaking is always in the favor of the one that the company will try to push now I'm not talking about incredible levels but a little bit of help can go a long way.. JDS can make or brake Francis and it's the ideal condition to face JDS now in these circumstances.

Travis was absolutely still messed up by the Cain TKO but he went with his gut feeling and hoped he can revenge the loss to Werdum and jump right back in the leading pack but stuff really went downhill for him.. he kinda outclassed Lewis but got reckless and lost and vs the old Boa he was doing well until he kinda gassed and got snaked up.. exactly what he was training with Barnett to avoid. I never really consider him a top fighter just a mid level guy with good psychical attributes.. if he was say a 6'1 slower guy he would have never been in the UFC.

I'm not sure about Stipe's loss to Struve, it was freaky like an eye poke then into a slip then got punched in all that.. the heck you can take away from it, like don't slip into opponents punches. xD

Now that JDS fight.. not that's the shit, he went from good to great after that one, that fight matured him more then 5 wins.. I also think that was the final nail into "prime JDS" last time we saw him prime, his confidence was a little screwed up but he kept at it and got the decision but after nope.. he was so spooked in that Reem fight and I wasn't buying the Big Ben fight he was hit 50 times in the head vs a slower less technical guy people said he was back but he sure ass hell wasn't the same fighter he was taking to much hits and wasn't dishing it out like before and he was spooked to fully go after it in my opinion. (in retrospect good idea to stay away from Big Ben who can always fuck up your night with a punch or a wacky sub.. that ogre strength and toughness)

I agree with you now let's both of us root for Cain to get the tittle fight and get the win.. I get my W on Cain and you get your Stipe grow/evolution fix. :D

g*r*b likes this.
  5. g*r*b Super-Stretch Waistband

g*r*b
    At the rate that heavyweights trade wins and loses, waiting until someone actually proves they deserve a title shot means that Stipe might never fight again!

And even if fighting with as-is Cain won't change anyone's opinion of Stipe's legitness, at least it gives us one more point of data. Sure we'll argue about how the data is supposed to be interpreted, but that's just how Sherdog is. This is the land where weeks are spent over threads arguing the relative merits of rival contenders to GOATdom or what Prime [fill in the blank] would do to Current [insert name here].

One MMA Fan likes this.
  6. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

Pancake Sprawl
    did you not read my other posts? the great disservice is to US. he's going to get injured again most likely, and then what? giving him a title shot solves nothing, it in fact makes things worse if he happens to win.

he's not going to magically not get injured, this is his modus operandi. he was supposed to rematch Werdum like twice already and that fell through.

it's also a disservice to the sport. just constantly giving a guy title shots for no other reason other than that he was pretty good 5 years ago? Cain Velasquez doesn't really have a name, he couldn't even get over with the Mexicans in Mexico. Werdum was speaking better Spanish than him.

tell me what's the problem with Cain fighting 2-3 other people before he gets another title shot? what's wrong with that? Stipe can take a break and Cain can go on a tear and rebuild all of his lost momentum and THEN it'd be a good fight.

but there is no hype for Cain now, because he's been injured and he keeps getting injured.

yes Reem is a better fight for Stipe, because he's actually FIGHTING. do you not see how ridiculous it is for Cain to get title shots over guys who are ACTUALLY FIGHTING AND BEATING OTHER TOP FIGHTERS? WHILE CAIN SITS ON HIS ASS WITH HIS BROKEN BODY?

is that what you want your fighter to be known as? the guy who can't prove he's good enough so he just waits until there's nobody else left to fight for a title shot to get his title shots?

because that's what you're suggesting that he's not really the best, he's just the only guy the champ didn't beat yet.

7. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

Pancake Sprawl
    i don't know, i think Stipe is legit without the Cain win, and anyone who thinks he needs a win over Cain to solidify his claim to the top HW spot is not really watching the fights. you can't pander to the haters, they will always find something. i've experienced this first hand with the Pride collapse. everyone from Pride was a can, and everyone who was a good fighter from Pride beat all cans.

anyway, the point is Stipe doesn't have to defend his belt right now. if the UFC is smart, they'd let Stipe take a break, and during that time Cain can prove to the company that he can stay injury free for longer than a few months, and he can prove to the fans why he really deserves to fight for the title again.

that's all i'm saying. i'm not saying either guy sucks or whatever, i'm just saying any fighter in Cain's position does not deserve a title shot period.

Al3s and g*r*b like this.
  8. g*r*b Super-Stretch Waistband

g*r*b
    It's not what we take away from the Struve fight, it's what Stipe took away... and it wasn't an excuse about eyepokes. (In fact there's an interview where the questioner starts in on that tack and Stipe shuts him down before he can finish the sentence.) He identified two issues, both characterized as "buying into the hype": 1) Being so worried about Struve's reputation in BJJ that he kept the fight standing (where the reach and height difference was exacerbated) and 2) Starting to believe his own press and being swayed by the hype that was starting to swirl about him.

Remember when you were wondering whether Stipe was getting too arrogant? I'm not worried about that because he's already been inoculated against it with the Struve loss. Before the rot could set in he was brought up short, and realized the need for utter vigilance and hard work and being eternally on your guard against the little lazy voice that purrs you've done enough because you're just that good...

I join you in considering the JDS win as the final nail for prime JDS. The common opinion is "Cain took his soul", and perhaps that was so. But I can imagine Cigano telling himself that's just one man, it was merely a bad matchup, it happens. Then to find the same kind of things happening with another opponent...even if you come away with the victory you're bound to start thinking "maybe it's not him, it's me." That's the crack in the confidence armor that's hard to patch up.

But I will NOT join you in rooting for Cain to win a title fight, grin however you may! I believe that by this point Stipe is addicted to the process of getting better, he doesn't need another loss to nudge him onwards. (And though the L would spark a quantum leap forward...considering how good he is at this point, how far and how fast does he desperately need to go still?)

One MMA Fan likes this.
  9. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    Why waste fights when he can have them vs top ranked guys for the belt.

Any champ does what 1 max 2 fights a year.. I think Cain will be able to match this program.

Reem is just a waste of a fight you already know the result he has a punchers chance and small one at that he will sleep in 1 round.

g*r*b likes this.
  10. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    Oh really.. and you got a problem with Cain if he makes 1-2 fights a year. :D

g*r*b likes this.
  11. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    I think Stipe is walking that line as we speak between cocky and confidence.

In the same time I think that the way he is ignored now, while he asked for the big boxing fight and just jokes on him, seeing how Conor is making bank and he is the HW Champ and has a way shittier income that keeps him hungry and grounded that's the only thing that worries me if Cain is next, we shall see my boy should also be starving only his movies, commercials, sponsors are keeping him a float and his 300k sure as shit ain't motivating he needs that belt and PPV points back to renegotiate a deal, Cain is hungry I think.

Can't wait to see how they match up them HWs in the next months.

g*r*b likes this.
  12. krelianx Silver Belt

krelianx
    Just because he got rocked it doesn't mean he is not in better condition. He did look leaner and well conditioned. It's just that he is very brittle; the man has been fighting since the 90s pro, and has been knocked out brutally several times. He is not young and has taken a lot of damage.

One MMA Fan likes this.
  13. g*r*b Super-Stretch Waistband

g*r*b
    I've been reading it as assurance rather than cockiness, something more grounded than cockiness suggests. But even if you're right, I think he'll keep his footing. There's a surprising amount of contradictions in his makeup — this is a guy who'll quip "I'm a lover not a fighter" and call himself passive, not that you'd ever guess by the way he fights — yet he makes them work. If anyone can achieve a workable fusion of humbleness and insane confidence, it's him.

If Cain's contract is for 300K a fight, that's another reason to give him the nod over Overeem for a title shot. Negotiations might be less fraught if Miocic has no grounds of complaining that the challenger is getting more than him yet again...

Miocic the bachelor was nowhere near as worried about finances as Miocic the married man and planning-to-be dad. But even with him concerned for more than just his own future, I don't think his true hunger is based on acquiring. It's in keeping what he's got. It's Defending His Own. Croatians were on the frontline between East and West for centuries, keeping the Turks from burrowing any further into the soft underbelly of Europe. Woe betide the man trying to snatch their property away—like, say, a shiny belt.

One MMA Fan likes this.
  14. Quinton Overeem Purple Belt

Quinton Overeem
    WAR Reem. Ngannou beats JDS easily though. JDS isn't the same anymore.

15. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

Pancake Sprawl
    i'm not arguing that Reem is a better fighter than Cain, or going to do better than Cain vs Stipe. i'm saying he deserves it more because he's actually beating top guys right now. right now Cain is 1-1 in recent history. Reem is 2-1 and his lone loss is to the dominant champion.

16. One MMA Fan #1

One MMA Fan
    Reem didn't win his last fight.. screw what the judge said no winner in that fight.. imo.

17. freakyfarley Adam Farley inc.

freakyfarley
    Good business sense is to not let Khabib or Cain anywhere near a main event, please. AKA is so ridiculously shitty when it comes to fighter's health.

18. TheLastEmperorReurns Purple Belt

TheLastEmperorReurns
    Stipe KO'd all the top guys in the division.

Only ones left for him are Cain & Ngannou.

19. LiveFreeorDie Gun Belt

LiveFreeorDie
    I was being sarcastic, could not believe the reporter mentioned that.

20. Al3s Yellow Card

Al3s
    {<jordan}

Pancake Sprawl likes this.