Locked VENOM Movie (First Critics Reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no interest whatsoever in this movie. With Spider-man in good hands over at Marvel, Sony is bound to fuck this up.

This is actually happening huh? Any word on if it's still gonna be a different universe or is it gonna be set in the Tom Holland MCUverse?
It's apparently still going to be set in Sony's Marvel Universe, separate from the MCU and Tom Holland's Spider-Man.

Update: May 19, 2017

Tom Hardy to Star as Eddie Brock in Sony's VENOM with Ruben Fleischer to Direct

Tom-Hardy-Venom-051917-Dragonlord.jpg

Sony has ensnared a star and director for its Spider-Man offshoot, Venom.

Tom Hardy, who was nominated for an Oscar for his work in The Revenant, is in final negotiations to star in Venom, while Ruben Fleischer, best known for directing Zombieland, is final negotiations to helm the movie project centering on one of Spider-Man’s signature villains.

The project is one of Sony’s top priorities and the studio is not wasting time as the movie is set to open Oct. 5, 2018.

Venom is to usher in a host of movies from Sony's Marvel and Spider-Man-based universe of characters. Sony is rebooting its Marvel-based slate with this summer’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Venom is a key title in its slate. The studio is also developing a Silver Sable/Black Cat project among other characters from the Spider-Man stable.

Venom has been one of Marvel’s top villains and a Spider-Man fixture since he was introduced in 1988, created by writer David Michelinie and artists Todd McFarlane and Mike Zeck. The character is an alien symbiote that needs a human host to survive. In return, the alien vests its victim with incredible powers. He made his first big-screen appearance in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 and was portrayed by Topher Grace.

Scott Rosenberg and Jeff Pinkner, the latter of whom worked on 2014’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2, wrote the script for Venom. Plot details are being kept in the black but Hardy, who is said to be a Venom fan, will play Eddie Brock, the character who first became Venom.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing, along with Amy Pascal.

After the news broke, Sony shared a photo of Hardy getting in the Venom spirit:

Tom Hardy to Star in 'Venom,' Ruben Fleischer to Direct

O
M
G

All the people bitching on pages 2 and 3 probably have a big ol boner now that Hardy has been cast

Probably all going to see it day 1 now

Hardy is going to fucking nail it as Brock/Venom. The only doubt I have is if the script is up to par.

But seriously, Tom Hardy is perfect to Eddie Brock.

It's apparently still going to be set in Sony's Marvel Universe, separate from the MCU and Tom Holland's Spider-Man.

How are they going to set up Venom without Spider Man? By referencing the older Spidey (Garfield)?

Yo. If they don't have Tom Hardy eventually fight Holland's Spidey. I am going to rage.

Wow. Hardy is a boss. Well played, Sony.

Hardy is going to fucking nail it as Brock/Venom. The only doubt I have is if the script is up to par.

But seriously, Tom Hardy is perfect to Eddie Brock.

I wouldn't say he is perfect

About 20 years to old to be a perfect casting

I like a younger Eddie Brock

I wouldn't say he is perfect

About 20 years to old to be a perfect casting

I like a younger Eddie Brock

But Hardy doesn't look that old, does he?

And yeah, it depends on how old they are going to depict him.

Well that's fucking stupid. Venom with no Spiderman? Why? Why would they do this?

Well that's fucking stupid. Venom with no Spiderman? Why? Why would they do this?

These are my thoughts of the separation. I dig the hell out of it

This movie is going to end up being logan level of goodness

Separating Venom and Spiderman is actually a good thing and here is why

Spiderman is about as stale as a dog turd that has been sitting in the sun for 2 months.

Venom can be his own character without being dragged into the typical spiderman story

The struggle he has with his humanity and the symbiote

Could be a pretty dark movie in a similar fashion as spawn or the crow

I can dig it. I think you guys just need more of an open mind before shitting on this idea

How are they going to set up Venom without Spider Man? By referencing the older Spidey (Garfield)?
It's unclear yet if there even will be a Spider-Man in this Sony's Marvel Universe (SCU). Some are speculating that since Peter Parker is currently in the MCU, Sony will be bringing in Miles Morales in the SCU.

Even without Spidey, I can still a few ways to introduce Venom. They could do the Spider-Man 3 route where a meteorite lands and the symbiote infects Eddie Brock. Or they could do the ASM2 route where the symbiote is created in a lab. Or they could officially make 'Life' (2017) a Venom prequel.

Because Sony desperately wants to have their own superhero universe without Marvel Studios co-producing it or having any control over it.

Marvel Studios' Spider-Man deal with Sony ends after Spider-Man: Homecoming 2. If they can't work something out to extend it, Sony might reboot the character again (groan) and introduce him in their own universe.

I don't think they're gonna reboot the character or introduce an off-shoot like Morales, not if Holland can maintain his current cachet. Looks like everyone's got strong faith in him and I figure his look won't change too much over time. Fans will want to see Hardy vs Holland. If in fact, Sony can keep Hardy. (And where does 100 BULLETS fall into Hardy's sched?)

While you can totally do a VENOM movie without Spiderman, it's a yooooge handicap given Venom looks like Spiderman. So right there you have the question of "Why same-same?" and the conspicuous absence of a reason. They have to bring Spiderman (if not Tom Holland himself) into the VENOM film SOMEHOW. Without it a VENOM movie would be inherently incomplete.

These are my thoughts of the separation. I dig the hell out of it

This movie is going to end up being logan level of goodness

That's actually a really good way to look at it. I really liked that low budget fan made Venom short and Spidey was nowhere to be seen or referenced(IIRC) in that.

Cool. Venom has always been one of my favorite comic book characters. But I still have a bad taste of the dude from that 70s Show as Venom.

Because Sony desperately wants to have their own superhero universe without Marvel Studios co-producing it or having any control over it.

Marvel Studios' Spider-Man deal with Sony ends after Spider-Man: Homecoming 2. If they can't work something out to extend it, Sony might reboot the character again (groan) and introduce him in their own universe.

Still stupid. Lol. We all already know how a Sony Marvel Universe will work out without any help from Marvel. We've seen it twice. Still, I'll stay cautiously optimistic until I see a final product.

Tom Hardy was a strong contender for the next Logan if/when they reboot the X-Men franchise. He would've been a closer Wolverine to the comics especially since everything is turning R-rated nowadays.

Would have been great , with a good director .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back