Locked VENOM Movie (First Critics Reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Duke's schedule is full and he couldn't step in for the starring role.

4733010-8380799852-dukex.jpg

R rated super hero movies are really the only ones that peak my interest at this point, the rest are hot garbage.

Update: May 19, 2017

Tom Hardy to Star as Eddie Brock in Sony's VENOM with Ruben Fleischer to Direct

Tom-Hardy-Venom-051917-Dragonlord.jpg

Sony has ensnared a star and director for its Spider-Man offshoot, Venom.

Tom Hardy, who was nominated for an Oscar for his work in The Revenant, is in final negotiations to star in Venom, while Ruben Fleischer, best known for directing Zombieland, is final negotiations to helm the movie project centering on one of Spider-Man’s signature villains.

The project is one of Sony’s top priorities and the studio is not wasting time as the movie is set to open Oct. 5, 2018.

Venom is to usher in a host of movies from Sony's Marvel and Spider-Man-based universe of characters. Sony is rebooting its Marvel-based slate with this summer’s Spider-Man: Homecoming and Venom is a key title in its slate. The studio is also developing a Silver Sable/Black Cat project among other characters from the Spider-Man stable.

Venom has been one of Marvel’s top villains and a Spider-Man fixture since he was introduced in 1988, created by writer David Michelinie and artists Todd McFarlane and Mike Zeck. The character is an alien symbiote that needs a human host to survive. In return, the alien vests its victim with incredible powers. He made his first big-screen appearance in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3 and was portrayed by Topher Grace.

Scott Rosenberg and Jeff Pinkner, the latter of whom worked on 2014’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2, wrote the script for Venom. Plot details are being kept in the black but Hardy, who is said to be a Venom fan, will play Eddie Brock, the character who first became Venom.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing, along with Amy Pascal.

After the news broke, Sony shared a photo of Hardy getting in the Venom spirit:

Tom Hardy to Star in 'Venom,' Ruben Fleischer to Direct

dVDJiez_zpsz3bsbpbm.gif

Well that's just fucking awesome, as long as the script is good I'm psyched. While I hated Baine, I think Tom Hardy as an older Eddie (which I prefer) is going to be great. Him as Alfie solomons is one of my favorite characters right now.

This still has the ability to be a terribad movie but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

While Hardy is a good get, is anyone else afraid his ego + perception of the material being beneath him = Marlon Brando level ego tripping taking over the project?

I'm not sure this Zombieland dude is going to be able to stand up to him...

I just hope he gets in shape and is monstrous as he was in Warrior. I want an intimidating Venom and a physically imposing Brock.

I have no faith in Sony but some faith in Hardy. He gets into roles big time.

A part of me died watching Eric Foreman play Venom. I won't get my expectations up for this movie and expect the rest of me to die when this is released. Venom is my all time favorite comic book villain. I just have this gut feeling this will end bad. Especially without Marvel.

I am feeling this as well but, I like Tom Hardy. He was a thug in DKR as Bane and just as boss in Lawless. He gets fucking JAcKed in these movies so, I can see him doing that here but, a role as Venom, the good bad guy would be an interesting role seeing he is not adverse to murder.

I think you are right Mr Mod Sir. If Marvel is out, this wont likely end well but, it cannot be botched anymore then Eric Foreman; the cuck being Venom.

Does that dude have any test what so ever? Venom is jacked not beta as fuck.

I just hope he gets in shape and is monstrous as he was in Warrior. I want an intimidating Venom and a physically imposing Brock.

I have no faith in Sony but some faith in Hardy. He gets into roles big time.

Hardy goes full retard into roles. He went nuts on Bane. Lawless was G.

These are my thoughts of the separation. I dig the hell out of it

This movie is going to end up being logan level of goodness

Actually very astute points. And I'm one of the people who was critical of the idea of introducing Venom in a standalone film.

My only big issue with it is that Venom is going to have to go anti-hero style in the film because there's not going to be a protagonist up against him as the villain (no Spidey). And if you go anti-hero for him than it will make it that much tougher to integrate him as the villain in a subsequent Spider-man movie.

I am feeling this as well but, I like Tom Hardy. He was a thug in DKR as Bane and just as boss in Lawless. He gets fucking JAcKed in these movies so, I can see him doing that here but, a role as Venom, the good bad guy would be an interesting role seeing he is not adverse to murder.

I think you are right Mr Mod Sir. If Marvel is out, this wont likely end well but, it cannot be botched anymore then Eric Foreman; the cuck being Venom.

Does that dude have any test what so ever? Venom is jacked not beta as fuck.

The funny thing about Foreman is that not only was Topher miscast (and look I think bizarre casting choices can work out really well with the right script and direction- look at comedic actor at the time Keaton killing it as Batman) but they also took every opportunity they could to remind us that Topher was Venom- instead of having Venom just be a badass in the finale sequence, they kept having the symbiote peel back to reveal Topher's unintimidating face with stupid fangs.

This will be dope I hope . Even if it sucks, Hardy is physically incapable of giving bad performance I think so it has that going for it .

R rated super hero movies are really the only ones that peak my interest at this point, the rest are hot garbage.

You must be pretty hardcore. Wish I were that cool.

Hardy will show up on set like this...
images

thinking this is a movie where Bane actually gets Venom.

Actually taking a slight interest in this now that Hardy is involved.

I have no interest whatsoever in this movie. With Spider-man in good hands over at Marvel, Sony is bound to fuck this up.

You want Venom turned into a one-liner spewing comedy (that isn't actually funny)? That's guaranteed to happen if it ends up in the MCU. I'd rather take my chances with Sony. At least they don't appear to be adamantly bound to that insufferable formula.

I'm surprised they managed to get Hardy on board for this, Did not see that casting choice coming at all.

With that being said, I'm fucking pshyced! Reuben is a solid director and Tom has consistently shown that he'll absolutely kill it whatever he's in. Let's hope the script it up to standard, The stars are aligning just right so far though..

Also - Don't you dare find a way to ruin this, Sony.

I'm excited that Hardy is playing Eddie/Venom but at the same time, I'm sad because this isn't part of the marvel continuity and will fuck up everything horribly.

It's unclear yet if there even will be a Spider-Man in this Sony's Marvel Universe (SCU). Some are speculating that since Peter Parker is currently in the MCU, Sony will be bringing in Miles Morales in the SCU.

Even without Spidey, I can still a few ways to introduce Venom. They could do the Spider-Man 3 route where a meteorite lands and the symbiote infects Eddie Brock. Or they could do the ASM2 route where the symbiote is created in a lab. Or they could officially make 'Life' (2017) a Venom prequel.

Or just have Venom as the Punsiher with Superpowers. He does bad things to bad people. Brock always had a(very)twisted code of honour, and at one point spent a lot of time protecting homeless people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back