Locked VENOM Movie (First Critics Reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right so, if I understand it right, this is how it has all happened:

Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2 happen, the end of the second one teases the Sinister Six film(s) and, Sony have a Venom film lined up. Then Marvel get the rights to Spiderman, but Sony retain the rights to Sinister Six and the like.

So, conceivably, they could make lots of Spiderman villain films, but no more Spiderman films?

And, Spiderman in the MCU can't use Carnage, Venom, Doc Ock Mysterio and all that? But, Vulture was teased at the end of TASM2 and, he is the main villain in Spiderman: Homecoming.

I am confused.
Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man but Marvel Studios is the producer and creative runner for Spider-Man (whether it be a solo film or an appearance in another MCU film). Marvel Studios has access to all the other Spidey characters as well, just depends on whether they can make an agreement with Sony if they can appear in other non-Spidey related movies.

Interesting casting suggestions. I'm curious why you went with Hollywood pretty boys for Mobius and the Scorpion? Definitely not who I would have envisioned.
Do you watch Vikings (the TV series)?

Venom without Spiderman is like [clever analogy].
Not interested.

Why not let MS handle it?

Sony has shown a reluctance to involve Marvel in the past. I think it's because of ego, but don't really have a problem with it because they've turned out at least two really good Spidey flicks. Theyre not totally DCing it up.

Do you watch Vikings (the TV series)?

No, I don't watch much TV these days.

Sony still owns the rights to Spider-Man but Marvel Studios is the producer and creative runner for Spider-Man (whether it be a solo film or an appearance in another MCU film). Marvel Studios has access to all the other Spidey characters as well, just depends on whether they can make an agreement with Sony if they can appear in other non-Spidey related movies.

Well that sounds convoluted as fuck.

Although, maybe Marvel Studios will reach a deal like that with FOX and we can get X-Men vs Avengers, which would be shweeeeeeeeeet.

As poorly handled as the DC cinematic universe has been handled of late, at least they (WB) can use any property from the comics they want, rather than having to worry about who owns what.

No, I don't watch much TV these days.
My point was they might be good looking in real life but they can be altered to look like grittier versions of themselves when it's time to shoot. Take for example the actors in Vikings and Black Sails.

My point was they might be good looking in real life but they can be altered to look like grittier versions of themselves when it's time to shoot. Take for example the actors in Vikings and Black Sails.

Ah, I get it. I still disagree, but I see your reasoning.

As poorly handled as the DC cinematic universe has been handled of late, at least they (WB) can use any property from the comics they want, rather than having to worry about who owns what.
Yeah but it's a small comfort.

Amazing Spiderman 2 was such shit.

So of course lets get the guys behind that.

Sony has shown a reluctance to involve Marvel in the past. I think it's because of ego, but don't really have a problem with it because they've turned out at least two really good Spidey flicks. Theyre not totally DCing it up.

True. It seemed interesting to me given what happened with Spidey.

Ah, I get it. I still disagree, but I see your reasoning.
It's natural. We both have different experiences and so different outlooks. I've seen Luke Arnold in Black Sails where he plays Long John Silver and Miguel Gomez in The Strain as tough street fighter Augustin. So I see something in them that makes them a good fit for the comic book role. The more movies and TV I watch, the better I will be at casting choices.

Hey man, I am getting a live action Justice League film, a Wonder Woman film.... a fucking Aquaman film!

What a time to be alive.
True. I'm excited for all of them but the last two DCEU films have been underwhelming to say the least, so I'm holding off celebrating just yet.

I want this to be good but they usually mess movies like this up
Last Venom was topher grace so expectations are pretty low

Only way it works is by doing it almost like a monster/horror movie. Have a team of cops/marines going after him and getting destroyed over the course of the film like the pacing of a horror movie. Don't overuse him unti the end when he's in full destructive glory. Then after the team is fully killed, you throw Spider-Man at him at the very end and set up a Venom vs Spidey movie.

I think they'll do the Flash Thompson version, zero reason to do Eddie's version without Peter. Which of course means it will be him.

To do Venom and Carnage justice would probably need an R Rating. I don't see that happening. Too big a financial risk with characters who are only well known to hard core Nerds.
I'm not exactly a hardcore nerd and I know who they are.

I love the Eddie Brock version from the cartoon, I don't really know the other versions. I wish I could be excited but I think doing a good Venom movie would be really hard no matter who does it.

My one hope is that the symbiote can now be part of some of the other movies so we can get cool things like having it take over Iron Man or Magneto.(Whichever studios they make deals with..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back