Van Life and Travel

images

Van lyfe brah

First semester of freshman year in college I got thrown in with a guy who "travelling around and living out of a van" was his dream. He also was big on trying to start a commune where everyone can live in a house together, work minimum wage jobs and just do what you want.

Unsurprisingly last I heard someone ran into him in Chicago I believe? Living in a tent city.

Fuck that. I don't see the appeal. The "freedom" is not worth the hassle IMO.

Back in the 70s, if you had a van it was assumed you were going somewhere to pick up an underage girl for sex. If you rode a motorcycle, it was assumed you were going somewhere to pick up an underage girl and take her to a van to have sex.

Back in the 70s, if you had a van it was assumed you were going somewhere to pick up an underage girl for sex. If you rode a motorcycle, it was assumed you were going somewhere to pick up an underage girl and take her to a van to have sex.
VTGMXVANS-2.jpg

It's a cool way to live if you have your shit together and are handy enough to make a bad ass van. You should also have a house that your renting out for income.

Something I've been interested in for a while.

I took a spontaneous trip to the Smoky Mountains a few years ago right at its most popular time of year, so I slept in the back of my jeep in a Walmart parking lot to save money. It was absolutely terrible. I think it would've been okay if I had something with more room, like a van. But to me there's nothing better than an actual room with a bed and tv.

I've watched a couple videos on YouTube about people who travel and live in vans full time. Seems like an interesting way to live.

lol I don't know what that is from, if anything..but that's hilarious.

Would be fun for a few months

I would do it. Right now I have enough money saved for a down payment to a house, but could never maintain the consistent payments of a mortgage. I'd have done the van thing already, but the problem is where the fuck to park to not be disturbed at night. Quebec isn't like the USA where you have these 24/7 walmart parking lots and shit.

Bumping this due to the "Guy that turned an ambulance into an apartment" thread.

Van Life is just homlessness by a fancy name

What was a catalyst for such a lifestyle?

- Taking the minimalist lifesyle to the extreme?
- High cost of housing?
- A rosy way to look at increased homlessness within our society?
- TikTok clout?
I seriously considered the Van life after getting out of my last relationship. If you look into the conversions that people have done, they are amazing. Buses, ambulances, vans, etc. I’d still be into it if I got a job working mobile so I could travel around to different National Parks. Eventually find a new place to settle.

Live like some nomad or some vagabond or should I say vanabonb? No thanks. What kinda of bum shit is that?

Back