Valiant Entertainment (Paramount Picks Up HARBINGER from Sony)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: April 21, 2015

Valiant/Sony Announce BLOODSHOT and HARBINGER Movies

uWNJvXH.jpg

A month after comic book publisher Valiant Entertainment revealed it had received a nine-figure investment in its movie and television development arm, the independent publisher is announcing a five-picture deal with Sony Pictures to bring two of its series, Bloodshot and Harbinger, to the big screen starting in 2017.

Both Bloodshot and Harbinger will receive two features each before a fifth movie, Harbinger Wars, will bring both properties together, inspired by the Valiant comic book series crossover from 2013.

Bloodshot, targeted for a 2017 release, will be directed by the John Wick team of David Leitch and Chad Stahelski, working from a screenplay by Jeff Wadlow (Kick-Ass 2) and Eric Heisserer (The Thing remake, the upcoming Story of Your Life). Matthew Vaughn and Jason Kothari will act as executive producers. For Harbinger, Heisserer will provide the script solo, while potential directors are being kept under wraps for now.

Harbinger, created by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter and David Lapham, is a next-generation X-Men-esque storyline about a group of superpowered beings on the run from the Harbinger Foundation, an organization run by mysterious philanthropist Toyo Harada. Bloodshot, created by Kevin VanHook, Don Perlin and Bob Layton, is a soldier brought back from the dead by a secret government agency and turned into an unstoppable killing machine with no memory.

'Bloodshot,' 'Harbinger' Comics to Get Film Treatment From Sony, Valiant (Exclusive)

Last edited:
March 8, 2015

Valiant Announces Nine-Figure Funding for Movie Division

c86U3EZ.jpg

Valiant Entertainment, publisher of some of fans' and critics' favorite superhero comics on the market, has secured an undisclosed nine-figure investment from Chinese entertainment company DMG, the co-producers and co-financiers of Iron Man 3, The New York Times announced tonight.

The investment will, in large part, fund film co-financing to be used toward the production of Valiant theatrical films and television programs, which one assumes includes the currently-in-development Shadowman, Bloodshot and Archer & Armstrong.

Comic superheroes are profitable and highly sought intellectual properties for film franchises, said Dan Mintz, the chief executive officer of DMG, “so taking a stake in the last independent massive comic universe is a strategic investment for DMG that will produce movies and TV that are both appealing and relevant to a global audience.”

That wording -- that DMG is interested in the "massive comic universe" -- is likely significant to what it is they think they have. That would appear, at least on its face, to suggest that there is hope the Valiant film and TV projects will take place in a cohesive universe.

Bloodshot is in development with Sony Pictures and Neal Moritz's Original Film, producers of the Fast and the Furious and Jump Street franchises. Shadowman, with a script by J. Michael Straczynski, and Archer & Armstrong, being written by Bendavid Grabinski, are also in development.

Valiant Announces Massive New Investment and Development Deal With Chinese Film Company DMG

Last edited:
March 8, 2015

Valiant Announces Nine-Figure Funding for Movie Division

Valiant-Entertainment-030815-Dragonlord.jpg

Valiant Entertainment, publisher of some of fans' and critics' favorite superhero comics on the market,
has secured an undisclosed nine-figure investment from Chinese entertainment company DMG, the co-producers and co-financiers of Iron Man 3, The New York Times announced tonight.

There is no brand equity in their comics and this will be a huge failure. These Chinese investors are far too late to the superhero game and I see a bubble forming already for any property beyond Marvel. I think the public is just exhausted from all these movies and will only wait for the very best products [Marvel Studios].

There is no brand equity in their comics and this will be a huge failure. These Chinese investors are far too late to the superhero game and I see a bubble forming already for any property beyond Marvel. I think the public is just exhausted from all these movies and will only wait for the very best products [Marvel Studios].

this

22 years to late. In 1993 this would have been epic, today, not so much.

I didn't even know Valiant was still around.

I dont know any of those heros

I really liked those comics when they came out in the early 90's, especially Shadowman and Archer & Armstrong. But I can't imagine this turning out to be anything but a massive flop. I mean the comics line died out like 20 years ago, I believe they tried to revive it a few times since then with no success, but I could be mistaken about that.

Oh, neat.

What we really need is a Liefeld Cinematic Universe, though. Amirite?

All I know is Chinese can't do jack shit with CGI or production. Behold, the fuggin-massive-piece-of-shittery that is the Monkey King!:

[YT]zCj-XP5cjOY[/YT]

Seriously, this could have been China's LOTR: A rich story full of mythology and interesting characters ruined by fucking shitty production, script, and acting. Budget for this steaming pile of monkey poo was 63 million USD.

As long as they fund and don't get involved in production, I'm ok with it.

Oh, neat.

What we really need is a Liefeld Cinematic Universe, though. Amirite?

That would be EXTREMEEEE!!!

Valiant comics always had good critics reviews but were never that popular.

if they made crappy characters like captain america and ironman successful i dont see why actually interesting characters cant also work

mean most comicbook fans know that the avengers are bottom of the barrel stuff when it comics to team franchises but they made it the biggest thing there is

That would be EXTREMEEEE!!!

Valiant comics always had good critics reviews but were never that popular.

I had to jog my memory as to what exactly Valiant did even though I own ton of those comics, lol. Says a lot about all that.

The Second Life of Dr. Mirage was the only one where I actually remembered and that would make for a cool TV show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Life_of_Dr._Mirage

Anyone else remember digging it?

everyone knows turok they did that too never read mirage

btw that was a bad ass n64

"only one man with mammoth fire power and taste for big game

TUROK DINOSAUR HUNTER FROM ACCLAIM"

There only hope is to do amazing fucking movies. The kind that break the mold and get people talking.

There only hope is to do amazing fucking movies. The kind that break the mold and get people talking.

True, they have to focus on better than expected movie writing AND overall execution for this genre.

They have to actually raise the bar, which will be a very difficult, but hopefully not impossible, task

I just hope they realize this or else results will be pretty sad

Had no idea Shadowman was a comic book character, I just remember it as an awesome game from my childhood on N64

Back