Valentina- "If you dont want to fight, you have to leave the belt"

Here are the unified rankings for mixed martial arts, consistently the best rankings for WMMA. They have Jennifer Maia, the (now former) Invicta champ as #1. When she had her last title defense the day after Montaño was crowned, it was being billed as “the true championship at 125. She’s now in the UFC. Montaño should call her out after her fight with Carmouche.

Those “reports” were reported by F@gwani, and his source was purely Saltchenko’s camp.

What exactly would be the purpose of that? She’s not Conor, running around everywhere with the belt calling herself the champ, using the title to leverage more money. She’s not getting paid on the sidelines. Your hypothesis is ridiculous.

Every rankings site? Wrong, so very wrong. See above.

Getting recognized as champ is better than being called a contender.

Valentina sounds awfully thirsty to be Champion. Perhaps she should’ve actually tried engaging against Nunes.

But since she didn’t want to fight, I guess she had to leave that division.

You hit the nail on the head. She’s still salty she didn’t win against Nunes, and now practically wants the belt to be handed to her at 125. The entitlement is real.

Well, do you think Shevchenko vs #3 Roxanne Modafferi (non title fight) sounds like a headliner to you?

So it’s either headliner or prelims? Are you really that dense?

You hit the nail on the head. She’s still salty she didn’t win against Nunes, and now practically wants the belt to be handed to her at 125. The entitlement is real.

So it’s either headliner or prelims? Are you really that dense?
That's not what I'm saying and it's beside the point I'm trying to make. I've made this argument to a few others in this thread; Shev makes twice as much money fighting Nico for the Belt which would headline a card or at the very least Co main. If she takes a fight with anybody else in the division it won't before a title and it won't headline which means she's not getting paid what she deserves (a title fight).
Why would she take a pay cut fighting anybody else for a non title fight?

Solution is simple. Valentina vs. the highest ranked unbooked fighter for the interim belt. Nicco can take however long she needs, then either unify the belts at the end of the year or strip Nicco's belt if she still can't fight. Simple old school solution, but no, these WME clowns are fucking clueless.

Nothing is stopping these guys from fighting 3 times a year. All the great champions fought multiple times a year; bones, Silva, DJ, GSP etc. I don’t know who told you guys defending once a year is acceptable. And just recently Woodley defended his belt 3 times in a years period.

I never said it was acceptable. I'm all for champions fighting 3 times a year. I just said it's become common so why single out Nicco? It hasn't yet been 6 months since she won the title. All the fighters I mentioned are on longer breaks than that.

Solution is simple. Valentina vs. the highest ranked unbooked fighter for the interim belt. Nicco can take however long she needs, then either unify the belts at the end of the year or strip Nicco's belt if she still can't fight. Simple old school solution, but no, these WME clowns are fucking clueless.
Please, god. No more interim titles.

I never said it was acceptable. I'm all for champions fighting 3 times a year. I just said it's become common so why single out Nicco? It hasn't yet been 6 months since she won the title. All the fighters I mentioned are on longer breaks than that.
It’s the salt miners. They’re obsessed.

She’s singling her out because that’s her division, as far as I am concerned champions fighting once a year is unacceptable, I don’t care who it is.

It’s the salt miners. They’re obsessed.
Honestly, man. I'm not even really a WMMA fan let alone a Shevchenko fan. I'm just tired of seeing champs sit on belts when there's a healthy challenger waiting. Can we at least agree that all of these interim titles, champs getting injured, champs getting stripped or sitting on the belt is bad for the sport? Just keep the divisions moving. That's all I really care to see.

I would be curious to know actually exactly what perks have come along with being champ for her.

It's a new division that even most MMA fans are barely even aware of, but still, she has a belt and I'd have to think that at least SOME kind of sponsorship dollars have come along with that. She hasn't gotten her own Modelo commercial or anything, but I gotta think there's something.
And here I feel like people are just assuming. Like really people think someone like Nicco has lucrative sponsors?

Come oooooooon.

That's not what I'm saying and it's beside the point I'm trying to make. I've made this argument to a few others in this thread; Shev makes twice as much money fighting Nico for the Belt which would headline a card or at the very least Co main. If she takes a fight with anybody else in the division it won't before a title and it won't headline which means she's not getting paid what she deserves (a title fight).
Why would she take a pay cut fighting anybody else for a non title fight?

Not to mention champ always gets PPV points. Dunno why she's prolonging the inevitable, she'll make money on her first and only title defense

Then, again, the ufc will strip her. Why wouldn't they? She's not s draw. Casuals don't even know who she is.

How long did it take before they stripped anyone? No one wants to wait at least a year before she gets stripped

How long did it take before they stripped anyone? No one wants to wait at least a year before she gets stripped
She won the belt less than 6 months ago, having to fight several times within a few weeks in the process. Context matters. She very well could have multiple injuries to rehab after that.

If not, they will strip her. And it probably won't take forever, because unlike those other champs she is not a draw whatsoever. The ufc has no problem throwing run of the mill fighters under the bus. People seem to forget this. If she IS ducking, the ufc isn't going to help her do it.

Not to mention champ always gets PPV points. Dunno why she's prolonging the inevitable, she'll make money on her first and only title defense
Exactly. Seems like many don't know there would be a massive difference in pay from a non-title fight compared to a title fight. Her Reebok pay was $5 fkn thousand dollars in her last fight. If she were to win the title it would jump to $40k. If she wins and goes on to defend the belt 3 or 4 she'll be raking in the cash and open so many doors for herself (money fights, endorsements, commercials).
She's had over a hundred fights from MMA, kickboxing, to boxing. Her entire fight career has led her to this title fight which could potentially change her life and reach a life goal of being an MMA world champ..... but some suggest that she should just take another fight....
<Huh2>

She won the belt less than 6 months ago, having to fight several times within a few weeks in the process. Context matters. She very well could have multiple injuries to rehab after that.

If not, they will strip her. And it probably won't take forever, because unlike those other champs she is not a draw whatsoever. The ufc has no problem throwing run of the mill fighters under the bus. People seem to forget this. If she IS ducking, the ufc isn't going to help her do it.
I get what you're saying but we just don't want to see a healthy challenger put her career on hold and wait. She's pissed off because that's exactly what she's been doing for 6 months. You can see why a fighter in this situation would be upset, can't you?

I get what you're saying but we just don't want to see a healthy challenger put her career on hold and wait. She's pissed off because that's exactly what she's been doing for 6 months. You can see why a fighter in this situation would be upset, can't you?
Sure but she's making statements and bitching and whining on the daily. I get it. Shut. Up. If you REALLY think she's ducking go tell the ufc brass, not me. It makes her look like a whiny bitch when we have NO confirmation from the ufc that any ducking is going on.

Back