vacation training Asia, best gym to go to fight?

FightingPrimate

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm planning to go in Asia to train Muay thai. I'd say that i'm an intermediate fighter, what are the best muay thai gyms in thailand that can find fights for foreigners ? also i'm planning to train MMA at EVOLVE MMA in Singapore, but it would be too expensive to train 1month in thailand + 1month in singapore, do you think 2weeks training is enough to get some basic understanding of bjj etc (i have only trained in muay thai and boxing) or do you think it would be better to train only 1month MMA in singapore or train only in thailand ?

Hi everyone, I'm planning to go in Asia to train Muay thai. I'd say that i'm an intermediate fighter, what are the best muay thai gyms in thailand that can find fights for foreigners ? also i'm planning to train MMA at EVOLVE MMA in Singapore, but it would be too expensive to train 1month in thailand + 1month in singapore, do you think 2weeks training is enough to get some basic understanding of bjj etc (i have only trained in muay thai and boxing) or do you think it would be better to train only 1month MMA in singapore or train only in thailand ?

I have never been to thailand, or evolve MMA but I would like to comment on Evolve MMA, both their muay thai and BJJ. As everyone can find online and just about everyone knows, evolve has nothing but top level thais as trainers at their gym, so I am sure its a safe bet you will get quality muay thai training. For their BJJ, I am friends with their head BJJ coach, Rick. He is also a top level BJJ competitor and coach. Evolve MMA has made sure all their coaches are top level. If you are into MMA and want to learn both MT and BJJ, I would think staying at Evolve would be more beneficial, training/learning wise. For pure muay thai, you probably couldnt go wrong there either, then again theres tons of gyms to choose from in thailand as well. From a vacation aspect I would think visiting both countries would be cool. I think it will really boil down to exactly what you want out of the trip but I wouldnt think you would have to leave Evolve MMA and go to thailand to get quality muay thai training. For myself, I dont do BJJ, and I am not intersted in signapore, so I would choose thailand, but thats me. Long story short, i would suggest 1 month at Evolve.

nice first troll post...
But to answer you. You want fight? Go to gym in Phuket. I take care you ok... Pay me for private lesson, you will be strong and ready. Buy case of tiger beer, then I train one free session.
Ok OK, I joking. Come see me. I take you to fight in Bangla! Champ.

Thank you for your useful reply sir. Shinchekin you're right Evolve would be more beneficial training/learning wise, so i have decided to go there for 1 month with full access to all their classes. Well i'm not really interested with Singapore either but i'm not going for holiday, it's purely for training. So i'll focus only on the training not the partying/visiting etc etc.

I'd just go to any gym in thailand

Thank you for your useful reply sir. Shinchekin you're right Evolve would be more beneficial training/learning wise, so i have decided to go there for 1 month with full access to all their classes. Well i'm not really interested with Singapore either but i'm not going for holiday, it's purely for training. So i'll focus only on the training not the partying/visiting etc etc.

if its purely for training, and your looking for mma style training, cant go wrong with evolve. If your not interested in singapore and prefer thailand, if you do your research I am sure you can find some MMA style gyms out there. Phuket top team comes to mind although I dont know much about them other than they are a mma gym in thailand. as "lame" as many ppl make tiger muay thai out to be, they have high level thai coaches as well as BJJ so you might look into that as well. If we took location out of the picture, out of those 3 gyms, I would still choose evolve.

I have never been to thailand, or evolve MMA but I would like to comment on Evolve MMA, both their muay thai and BJJ. As everyone can find online and just about everyone knows, evolve has nothing but top level thais as trainers at their gym, so I am sure its a safe bet you will get quality muay thai training. For their BJJ, I am friends with their head BJJ coach, Rick. He is also a top level BJJ competitor and coach. Evolve MMA has made sure all their coaches are top level. If you are into MMA and want to learn both MT and BJJ, I would think staying at Evolve would be more beneficial, training/learning wise. For pure muay thai, you probably couldnt go wrong there either, then again theres tons of gyms to choose from in thailand as well. From a vacation aspect I would think visiting both countries would be cool. I think it will really boil down to exactly what you want out of the trip but I wouldnt think you would have to leave Evolve MMA and go to thailand to get quality muay thai training. For myself, I dont do BJJ, and I am not intersted in signapore, so I would choose thailand, but thats me. Long story short, i would suggest 1 month at Evolve.

Since when did Rick became the BJJ head coach for Evolve? I am positive that since Teco left, Leandro Issa is the head BJJ coach there. Slick Rick is the 10th Planet no-gi head coach (one and only coach really).

Since when did Rick became the BJJ head coach for Evolve? I am positive that since Teco left, Leandro Issa is the head BJJ coach there. Slick Rick is the 10th Planet no-gi head coach (one and only coach really).

I am good friends with sean bollinger and his brother my boxing coach chad bollinger, I have gotten well connected with 10th planet through them even though I dont train BJJ. Check ricks instagram. Hes been over there for a while now. I met him back at 10th planet riversides old location.

Evolve is a good gym, but it's very expensive though. For the money you would spend on 2 weeks of training at Evolve and the living costs in Singapore you could easily train 1 full month in Thailand.

So I would only go to Thailand. Practically all gyms can get you fights. Let them know up front you would like to fight and they can arrange something.

take this all with a grain of salt but IMO if you're going to Asia and will be around the best muay thai training in the world, you should take advantage of it and devote that time to train muay thai. you can find legit BJJ black belts anywhere but you can't find legit muay thai trainers at most places.

also just a wild guess here, but the muay thai trainers at Evolve are bona fide legends of the sport and I doubt they'll have the proper motivation to teach random fourists on vacation. I believe you can get the highest level muay thai training at any given backwards gym in rural Thailand.

take this all with a grain of salt but IMO if you're going to Asia and will be around the best muay thai training in the world, you should take advantage of it and devote that time to train muay thai. you can find legit BJJ black belts anywhere but you can't find legit muay thai trainers at most places.

also just a wild guess here, but the muay thai trainers at Evolve are bona fide legends of the sport and I doubt they'll have the proper motivation to teach random fourists on vacation. I believe you can get the highest level muay thai training at any given backwards gym in rural Thailand.

bjj black belts are becoming a dime a dozen.

Back