Vacate the belt. Set up a 8 man tournament to crown the new champ.

Seed the remaining guys 1 thru 8 and let them scrap.

Here is how they should be seeded.

1. DC vs 8. Misha C.

2. Gus vs 7.OSP

3. Volkan vs 6. Shogun

4. Glover vs 5. Jimi M.

Let's see who emerges. Maybe Shogun can get on a roll(not likely).

Gus would be the favorite but maybe Volkan can continue shocking people.

Better than just giving it back to DC.

Jon%2BJones%2BTrip%2BTake%2BDowns%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif
Nope. They'll just set up competitive fights, as they should.

If they put this together as a one night tournament in Japan, I'd lose my mind. I know you didn't intend on it being a one night tournament, but it would likely only come off if it were to be done that way.

Done over the course of three separate cards, you're looking at a lot of headaches. At the very best, you're looking at nine months to complete it with three separate three month training camps. Between fighters missing weight, USADA, and injuries - you're looking at more like a year and a half to complete this type of tournament.

If Jones gets two years, which is looking to be the most likely scenario, that suspension is retroactive to July 28th. We're almost halfway thru September, so by the time this tournament would realistically be completed, Jones would just about be back.

One night in Japan is a terrific idea. A drawn out tournament, not so much, in my opinion.

It's not the worst idea, if for no other reason than to inject some life back into a division that sorely needs it (the division is something of a wasteland now). At the end of the day having Cormier and Gustafsson fight makes the most sense, but this format would likely achieve the same thing while creating a bit more excitement. Either way, LHW's future is bleak for the time being.

In fairness, DC probably can't make weight 3 more times.
DC will get the belt back via NC.

As you correctly point out D.C. can't make 205 again, so instead of defending he'll immediately challenge for and win the HW belt from Stipe, like Jones wanted to.

Then Jones fans commit mass suicide. Or find another bandwagon to jump on.

Seed the remaining guys 1 thru 8 and let them scrap.

Here is how they should be seeded.

1. DC vs 8. Misha C.

2. Gus vs 7.OSP

3. Volkan vs 6. Shogun

4. Glover vs 5. Jimi M.

Let's see who emerges. Maybe Shogun can get on a roll(not likely).

Gus would be the favorite but maybe Volkan can continue shocking people.

Better than just giving it back to DC.

Jon%2BJones%2BTrip%2BTake%2BDowns%2BDaniel%2BCormier%2BUFC%2B182.gif
DC is still the champ and because of the failed drug test, it actually solidifies DC as the legitimate champ. Now he can stop crying.

In order to have a tournament for the vacant title, you'd first have to make an announcement stating that you are stripping Daniel Cormier of his belt, and you'd need some sort of explanation why.

Most likely Gust vs Volkan in December, winner gets DC in May. And Gust/Volkan may even be for an interim belt lol

Damn Jones has forever tainted the LHW division. We either ignore his accomplishments completely or forced to accept that everybody else are not really as good
Ignore them completely, obviously.

DC is still the champ and because of the failed drug test, it actually solidifies DC as the legitimate champ. Now he can stop crying.
DC is now 2-1 vs jones(200 counts also)

Damn Jones has forever tainted the LHW division. We either ignore his accomplishments completely or forced to accept that everybody else are not really as good
Combination of both. I don't believe Jones only started juicing when usada came in, only an idiot would. So I believe he was using for Gust & DC fights and I believe that those 2 are and have been clean fighters. And given how competitive they were vs Jon it's safe to say Jon needed PEDs to beat them. The rest of Jons opponents were mostly juicing or probably would've lost to a clean Jon like Gusmao did.

4 man tournament would make more sense and be easier to pull off IMO .....

I agree w TS 100%. Create some excitement from a terrible situation. Giving back to DC(although rightly so) would cause a lull in the division. This way at least if DC wins, which he should, would give more validity back to the belt.

Champions "vacate" the belt. What you are alluding to would be the UFC "stripping" the belt.

Once this is overturned to a no contest there's zero reason for DC to vacate or for the UFC to strip him.

Got an upvote for the avi

I mean I like the idea of tournaments but that's not fair to DC. That fight should be a no-contest and he should get the belt back if that's what he wants. Personally I'd like to see him go up to heavyweight and should that happen why not do a tournament.

Back