Uzcategui: Andre Dirrell Did a Quit Job Like He Did With Abraham!

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Uzcategui was ahead on two of the three judges scorecards at the end of eight (77-75, 77-74, and 76-76). The Venezuelan, who fights out of Mexico, felt Dirrell could have gone on. “I was throwing a three-punch combination and I didn't hear the bell. I didn't mean to hit him.

The third punch wasn't that hard of a punch. I was surprised he stayed down. He did the same thing against Abraham that he did against me tonight. He quit against me and he quit against him. I deserve to be the winner." Dirrell saw it differently, from what he could recall. “ "All I remember was him throwing a shot at me at the same time the bell rang. After that everything was blurry. I remember a shot and then all went fuzzy. I forgive Uzcategui.

I forgive his camp. I don’t want to win a championship like this. I wanted to win fair and square. But I forgive him.” Dirrell also commented on the post-fight melee. “I’m sorry for what my coach has done. My coach is my family, my uncle, and he was worried. He cares for me. He loves me. Please forgive him. I’m going to stand up like a man. I didn’t win like I wanted to, but I’ll be back. I’m going to come back as soon as they let me.” - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/uzcategu...-he-with-abraham--116794#sthash.6jvnuBJG.dpuf

It was an illegal blow but Dirrell made everything he could out of that situation, I think he wasn't hurt that bad because at first it looked like he was okay and moment after he acted like he was down and out.

It was an illegal blow but Dirrell made everything he could out of that situation, I think he wasn't hurt that bad because at first it looked like he was okay and moment after he acted like he was down and out.
He did the same when he fought Abraham. I took a lot of shit for that claim a few years back but here it is again.
Dirrell is a joke, no one should fight that guy again.

He did the same when he fought Abraham. I took a lot of shit for that claim a few years back but here it is again.
Dirrell is a joke, no one should fight that guy again.

I'm with you (other threads) in that he was KO'd prior to the bell (or at the bell)---prior to the third punch of the combo that was slightly late. I came in late in the 7th though, so I didn't see the earlier warning. Watching now. But I didn't feel that warranted a DQ and now it's said Dirrell's camp was yelling for him to stay down? If that's true, weak sauce for sure. It even looked like bad drama last night to me.

Uz was up on two of the cards at the time of the stoppage, but I remember you regulars had Dirrell up a couple rounds, generally. Or so it seemed at the time.

giphy.gif

I would like to fight direll's uncle... in a cage, on the street I don't care, just not gentleman's or boxing rules

someone set it up when homie gets done dealing with the law, I'm always in shape these days...

What's the actual (most common, at least) rule on whether the bell stops a round vs the ref in boxing? I should know this, but even a quick Google search gives me nothing.

At least in MMA, it has been clarified that the ref has to signal an end to the round, the horn itself doesn't stop it. In MMA that's a KO - ref had not reacted at all.

Even if the bell itself is the signal and ref isn't needed. It's ridiculous to rule that a DQ as Rafael said.

Punches like that shouldn't be considered illegal. He's competing a combination right as the bell is sounding.

That's like expecting a speeding car to stop on a dime without skidding

What's the actual (most common, at least) rule on whether the bell stops a round vs the ref in boxing? I should know this, but even a quick Google search gives me nothing.

At least in MMA, it has been clarified that the ref has to signal an end to the round, the horn itself doesn't stop it. In MMA that's a KO - ref had not reacted at all.

Even if the bell itself is the signal and ref isn't needed. It's ridiculous to rule that a DQ as Rafael said.
To the best of my knowledge, it's basically a grey area and largely up to the ref's discretion. He probably should have ruled it an accidental foul and then gone to the scorecards for a technical decision, but I'm pretty sure it was up to him to make whatever ruling he wanted to make. Unfortunately for Uzcategui, I don't see this being overturned. His only recourse is putting Lawson behind bars. I also feel a bit sorry for Dirrell because he did get hit AFTER the bell (regardless of intent) and was badly hurt (even if he did a little acting after he recovered) and he did act classy in the ring when greeting Uzcategui after the fight and isn't really responsible for his uncle's actions.

Last edited:
I would like to fight direll's uncle... in a cage, on the street I don't care, just not gentleman's or boxing rules

someone set it up when homie gets done dealing with the law, I'm always in shape these days...
Not gonna lie, I'd be scared. I'm dealing with a recurring rotator cuff injury from shadowboxing. Can't even throw a proper right hand anymore. Did 2 different sessions of physical therapy, it got a little better, but still not fully recovered. I'd pay to watch you fuck him up, though. :)

he was out, his uncle/trainer is a piece of shit

also, his uncle couldnt knock the skin off a bannana....fat bastard who thinks he can throw down with someone who actually fights, i was dissappointed no-one from the other camp didnt engage him

Not gonna lie, I'd be scared. I'm dealing with a recurring rotator cuff injury from shadowboxing. Can't even throw a proper right hand anymore. Did 2 different sessions of physical therapy, it got a little better, but still not fully recovered. I'd pay to watch you fuck him up, though. :)

I feelya, both my rotator cuffs are sore and recovering from strains... just started weightlifting last year after not doing it for 20+ years

I'm on the TrT tho (for lo-T haha) plus looks like he hits like a bitch, so I'm pretty sure I could take him

Those punches were on the bell. It's unreasonable to expect him to stop his activity that quickly.
And, it's not like Dirrell heard the bell, thought "oh well, the round is done.... golly, can't wait until the next" and dropped his guard.

Back