Usyk vs Gassiev SUPERFIGHT!

Who wins

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Watch gassievs last 2 fights and then compare him Lemieux? Gassiev is top draw, he just came up against an incredible fighter who was a tough stylistic match up for him
Yes, he's much better than Lemieux but he lost some shine last night and I'm a fan. His stoicIsm and no nonsense style are appealing to me. His inability to adapt though was telling, remember when Ray was falling behind and Angelo told him he was 'blowing it!', thats the response I expect from elite fighters. Usyk proved to be a couple leagues ahead.. and where was his honey punch? He threw the left hook about a dozen times? I don't enjoy fighters settling.

No one ever shut down the poll.
Ppl still voting

Yes, he's much better than Lemieux but he lost some shine last night and I'm a fan. His stoicIsm and no nonsense style are appealing to me. His inability to adapt though was telling, remember when Ray was falling behind and Angelo told him he was 'blowing it!', thats the response I expect from elite fighters. Usyk proved to be a couple leagues ahead.. and where was his honey punch? He threw the left hook about a dozen times? I don't enjoy fighters settling.
he looked bad, but it wasn't for lack of ability. i think the real issue was that usyk threw a gazillion punches every round, and never slowed down, all while making gassiev miss all of his biggest shots. if gassiev sat back, he got peppered and overwhelmed. if he as much as twitched to initiate something, he got peppered again.

also, even usyk's light punches are probably pretty damn hard, so i'm guessing gassiev didn't like the feeling of those 8 punch combos and they made him keep his hands home a lot more.

i kind of agree that gassiev looked like a lemieux with his single shot attacks and hitting mostly air, but that observation doesn't do usyk justice. the ukrainian can fight, man.

I've said it before but Gassiev's style reminds me more of a Canelo than a Lemieux. Problem is that, like Canelo, he's a bit slow on foot and doesn't have a very active jab, which is a nightmare for a guy with the output and movement of Usyk

I'm wondering whether the fight with Dorticos actually hurt Gassiev mentally.

Gassiev is the sort of fighter who needs to get in and do damage, he should be pressing from at least round 2 however he seemed to think he had all night against Usyk, I'm wondering if that's because he got away with it against Dorticos and caught him late, maybe he thought he could do it again.

I was literally thinking, close down, close down, usually people say "But you'll get caught doing that" but the truth is he was taking punches anyway, better to close and smother the distance, get off your own shots while Usyk is on the back foot than just let Usyk hit you from normal stance.

The one thing I will give Usyk credit for (among everything else he did) is that he was so good at spinning away then landing flurries whenever Gassiev tried to close him down.

Quite frankly Usyk fought a master class fight last night, an Olympic amateur type style but done to the highest level, reminded me of Calzage.

Crazy how Usky did so much better than in his fight against Briedis eventhough Gassiev was considered a more dangerous opponent

Great fighters up their game in the biggest fights.

This was the fight of a life times work, all those belts and recognition.

Usyk just proved he's a great in the CW division ......... if he beats Bellew who took out former CW great Hayes, twice then Usyk is cemented right next to Holyfield as no1 ever in that division no question.

I've said it before but Gassiev's style reminds me more of a Canelo than a Lemieux. Problem is that, like Canelo, he's a bit slow on foot and doesn't have a very active jab, which is a nightmare for a guy with the output and movement of Usyk

Yeah he is a bit like Canelo BUT Canelo has excellent head movement which gives him lots of opportunities to counter off. Gassiev doesn't move his head much at all preferring to shell up.

LOL, I was saying exactly this to my father around round 11. I've been a big Usyk skeptic and called him amateurish often but daaamn I've changed my mind tonight. Tonight he was so on fire he would have outboxed every single boxer put in front of him. 31 years old and still evolving. A threat for anyone at HW definitely.
For me you could clearly see that he has worked a lot with Lomas dad for this fight, less risky and willing to get drawn into a brawl and more focussed on outboxing his opponent.

For me you could clearly see that he has worked a lot with Lomas dad for this fight, less risky and willing to get drawn into a brawl and more focussed on outboxing his opponent.
Myabe it was less risky, I kind of see it as another way though, in that Usyk was pumping that jab and doubling it all match(had a fight high output in the 12th i believe) and just taking away any chance of Gassiev turning it into a competitive match. Especially when Gassiev was content to not throw any jabs of his own and not cut the ring off to force Usyk to his right.

Watch gassievs last 2 fights and then compare him Lemieux? Gassiev is top draw, he just came up against an incredible fighter who was a tough stylistic match up for him
I did watch his last two fights, he has very limited boxing ability like lemieux. Honestly if lemieux was physically and mentally tougher and was in better shape, he'd have similar success to gassiev.

Dissapointed with Gassiev? I dont get it. I think you serious underestimate Dorticos who hits hard and is an absolute elite boxer. That was a masterful performance by Gassiev. The question is If Gassiev can translate his success to hw If he goes up. There I am a little sceptical but we will see
Dorticos and gassiev are both great but not among the best of the best. Usyk definitely is but I just find him boring, that's why I don't really care to see him go up to heavyweight. I'm sure he'd succeed but it would be through a series of mayweather like performances. Gassiev probably better stay at cruiser, he's not even really 6'3" like he's listed, and he doesn't have the speed or feet to match up with bigger guys.

Dorticos and gassiev are both great but not among the best of the best. Usyk definitely is but I just find him boring, that's why I don't really care to see him go up to heavyweight. I'm sure he'd succeed but it would be through a series of mayweather like performances. Gassiev probably better stay at cruiser, he's not even really 6'3" like he's listed, and he doesn't have the speed or feet to match up with bigger guys.
They are among the best, they were literally among the 4 best at cruiserweight.

Usyk will beat the shit out of Bellew.
Biggest match he can make at the moment.

Yeah he is a bit like Canelo BUT Canelo has excellent head movement which gives him lots of opportunities to counter off. Gassiev doesn't move his head much at all preferring to shell up.
well, I thought he displayed some slickness and head movement against dorticos, but it wasn't really there here

Back