Usman's chin. What are your thoughts?

Dick_Stillhard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
There were a couple times in the Maia fight he got hit and didn't look comfortable. I think it was the second shot that Maia landed reasonably clean and Usman's legs looked wobbly before he composed himself a few seconds later. Maia isn't very good of a striker and it makes me wonder whether Usman's chin stands up to a bigger and better puncher on his feet. Usman's best chance seems to be his wrestling, as his striking is subpar. How long can he rely on his wrestling before the chin is tested properly?

I didn’t watch the fight or the card at all, but it played just like I imagined it would.

If Usman’s style is poison for Maia, then Woodley’s is the poison for Usman. Much better on the feet with more power and speed, better footwork, wrestling skills to defend takedowns or even get some on his own.

I didn’t watch the fight or the card at all, but it played just like I imagined it would.

If Usman’s style is poison for Maia, then Woodley’s is the poison for Usman. Much better on the feet with more power and speed, better footwork, wrestling skills to defend takedowns or even get some on his own.
This ^

Chin that will be cracked soon, seems that significant part of his style is to absorb punches and/or defend punches with his head .
He has option to work on his defense but I guess he will not do that before he gets KOd

There were a couple times in the Maia fight he got hit and didn't look comfortable

I got this ^^^ far and faded fast
rM48_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
as Usman ever been KOéd I love but as big as Maia is Usman just stronger & beastier (dibs on the new word beastier sounded right at the time?)

Last edited:
I got this ^^^ far and faded fast
rM48_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
as Usman ever been KOéd I love but as big as Maia is Usman just stronger & beastier (dibs on the new word beastier (sounded right at the time?)
Stop with that dumb stinky fart filled GIF.

I noticed this too TS. There was a window of him getting hit where it short circuited him if even for a SPLIT second it was there. Compare that to the way Kelvin was eating Jacares punches. You will see Usman already showing signs of that chin on the decline. Maybe him and micheal johnson should stop trying to KO each other for that "anatomy of a fighter" Documentary video thing. I seen a video of them too going HARD at in the gym

and stronger and better gnp.

There were a couple times in the Maia fight he got hit and didn't look comfortable. I think it was the second shot that Maia landed reasonably clean and Usman's legs looked wobbly before he composed himself a few seconds later. Maia isn't very good of a striker and it makes me wonder whether Usman's chin stands up to a bigger and better puncher on his feet. Usman's best chance seems to be his wrestling, as his striking is subpar. How long can he rely on his wrestling before the chin is tested properly?
I mean overall I think his chin is pretty good. I did see maia land a couple of jabs that looks to wobble him slightly. But overall I think the guy can take a punch fairly good. We will see when he faces a guy that forces him to strike.

Up to this point i havent noticed him having a weak chin, nor a strong, he has run through most people, but what surprised me in the Maia fight was he was hittable, Maia had better head movement and evaded better strikes, of course he was focused on not getting taken down but he was hittable from start to finish. He is light years behind on the standup compared to Woodley, Usman wont get him down and get frustrated running in, while Woodley will hit him with a perfect shot, its the same for Colby they talked themselves into contention maybe too early.

Woah,we saw it pretty similar

As far as the thread I think stylistically Woodley KO's him.I didn't like his stand up or how he reacted to some of Maia's punches...and that's Maia.One of them he switched stances awkwardly real fast almost as if to hide a bit of a stumble after getting his biggest shot of the fight and looked like he panicked for a few seconds while trying to keep it together.

I think he legit got hurt by that shot by his reaction and that's fricken Maia.I'm not saying he was hurt for sure but I saw signs that makes me think he was.Twice actually but the one time I think was pretty clear.

No one can fight like he does for his whole career. I mean, he has good takedowns and good ground control and gNp...But he's not GREAT at any of these things .....This with NO striking defence. Meaning, as soon as he goes up against someone who is... he's gone.

Back