Using the president's name as a pun is apparently racist.

No. That's clearly part of it. What's the pun without the racial implication? As I said, it's just a "neener, neener, we're white and the president is on our side against you" message.

You are right about the "neener, neener" part. Welcome to high school sports.

Can you explain how you think "we're white" became part of the sign? It doesn't say that, and I cannot see any reason to infer it.

Right, and my point is that your point is
a) stupid, and
b) tribalistic. Only people who already agree on your hysterical view that the president is a white supremacist could possibly agree with your conclusion here.

The view necessary here is actually that kids would interpret Trump to be a symbol of white supremacy. And surely you agree that that's at least plausible. There's no joke otherwise.

In your view, had a different word been sued other than "trump", for example say the sign said "defeat Perry", then the sign wouldn't have been racist. And thus my mockery of you for your hypersensitivity to the word trump.

Hmm. I do agree that if the words used were different, the message conveyed would be different. Not sure how you think that helps your case...

No. That's clearly part of it. What's the pun without the racial implication? As I said, it's just a "neener, neener, we're white and the president is on our side against you" message.

There's a lot of people trying to have it both ways. On the one hand, Trump's candidacy was a repudiation of the anti-white sentiment that is dominating in America and on the other, there's no racial message here at all, no symbolism that might be used in an ugly way by kids.

The same pun as "Love Trumps Hate". Trump is the president's name but also means beats. Play on words.

The whole image looks like a campaign rally, between the signs, the colors, and the flag. I initially thought it had to do with Rick Perry before seeing that it was a school.

You are right about the "neener, neener" part. Welcome to high school sports.

Can you explain how you think "we're white" became part of the sign? It doesn't say that, and I cannot see any reason to infer it.

It's part of the message because the overall look of the sign makes a clear reference to the president (and because "trump" isn't le mot juste in that sentiment--the bad fit also implies a pun). I think you're being disingenuous here. Surely you recognize the racial connections with Trump. Hell, even if you think he's just innocently had that stuff attached to him by some deplorable supporters and the evil media, you can't deny that it is, in fact, attached to him.

The same pun as "Love Trumps Hate". Trump is the president's name but also means beats. Play on words.

Yep. The message is quite different, though, no?

The whole image looks like a campaign rally, between the signs, the colors, and the flag. I initially thought it had to do with Rick Perry before seeing that it was a school.

Yes.

The view necessary here is actually that kids would interpret Trump to be a symbol of white supremacy. And surely you agree that that's at least plausible. There's no joke otherwise.

But there is a joke otherwise. It's called a pun. "Ha, ha look we used the president's name to suggest we hope our team outscores their team."

And yes, only those who idiotically think Trump is a symbol of white supremacist would see racism here. This is why I call it tribalism. Only a hyper-partisan could see racism here.

Surely you recognize the racial connections with Trump.
I don't. And more importantly, I see no reason to ascribe such a view to high school sports fans. Your extreme political views are overly coloring your perspective on the lives of more moderate people.

I don't. And more importantly, I see no reason to ascribe such a view to high school sports fans. Your extreme political views are overly coloring your perspective on the lives of more moderate people.

Nah, you're just playing dumb.

Not really. It's the same play on words. Just indicative vs imperative.

Er, yeah, it's the same play on words but the overall message is extremely different.

Er, yeah, it's the same play on words but the overall message is extremely different.

Since you are convinced they are different, how do you phrase them to be the same and not inherently racist?

Since you are convinced they are different, how do you phrase them to be the same and not inherently racist?

I don't get the question. The message is what's racist. The point is to kind of rub in the president to the black school. That's not the message when one says that love trumps hate. It's not even similar.

My brain hurts from trying to figure out how THAT is racist in any way. I wish I was more stupid so that I could understand!

High school kids aren't very clever from what I've observed in my own classroom. They have difficulty understanding obvious humor. I've literally had most of a classroom not get this joke when I leave it up as a desktop background.

GpITh.jpg

Then they say it's not funny. Unless they get it, of course. I can easily see a conversation that went like this.

Student 1: Hey, how do we do a red, white, and blue theme for a football game?
Student 2: Trump means to beat someone at something.
Student 1: Hah, that's a good one.

Also, according to the school whose students made the sign, there's no rivalry because the teams had never played before. I think that supports the idea, which I'm still not totally convinced by, that it could have been intended as innocuous.
OR they remembered repeated calls of "Trump That Bitch" during the election. I think it's an over-reaction to start calling for sanctions and all that but it seems pretty obvious what was intended.

I don't get the question. The message is what's racist. The point is to kind of rub in the president to the black school. That's not the message when one says that love trumps hate. It's not even similar.

giphy.gif

Always nice to deal with the intentionally dense and dishonest crowd.

How do you phrase that sign so that it implies the normal Football sign of "beat [school name]" while using the same play on words (ie, use Trump the person vs the verb)? If that's too hard for you to understand, then I give up. It's not worth dealing with a troll.

There's nothing dumb about thinking the president's name does not symbolize white supremacism.

What about pretending that you've never noticed that anyone disagrees with that. Again, even if you (wrongly) think it's unfair, all that is required for you to understand the point here is that you realize that some people think that there is a connection.

Don't you guys ever get tired of playing the race card? Ever?

It would be very nice if we didn't have to talk about this stuff. And this isn't a huge issue anyway. But the obvious disingenuousness is what drew me to this. And then you Ingaed up the thread with your usual brand of constant dishonesty and rank partisanship.

Always nice to deal with the intentionally dense and dishonest crowd.

... says the guy who doesn't see any difference between love trumps hate and "Trump black school."

And then you Ingaed up the thread with your usual brand of constant dishonesty and rank partisanship.

1. Your personal dislike of me is both comical and encouraging.

Comical, because being called a rank partisan by you just makes my day. There are few in the War Room, left or right, so consistently and rigidly partisan as yourself.

Encouraging, because it is a long established pattern that accusations of dishonesty are your reflexive defense mechanism when arguments fail.

2. I get that we are on opposite sides on many issues, but I would have thought you were above such crude race-baiting. Clearly I was wrong.

1. Your personal dislike of me is both comical and encouraging.

Comical, because being called a rank partisan by you just makes my day. There are few in the War Room, left or right, so consistently and rigidly partisan as yourself.

Encouraging, because it is a long established pattern that accusations of dishonesty are your reflexive defense mechanism when arguments fail.

2. I get that we are on opposite sides on many issues, but I would have thought you were above such crude race-baiting. Clearly I was wrong.

1. It's not personal. I don't even know you. The reason people think you're so dishonest and generally lacking in basic human decency is that you lie all the time. Your sense of morality seems to start and end at what's best for your tribe.

2. There's no race-baiting. You know what the sign meant, and you're just playing dumb.

The reaching required to say this is racist is so incredible that Stretch Armstrong himself is in disbelief.

Back