Using a nutritionist?

KAYNE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I talked to a guy a while ago that was getting ready for a Natural body building contest. He had been using a nutritionist to get ready. He said he would send him pictures every week with some other info such as Body fat etc. Then the guy would write him a diet plan based on his goals. Anybody ever try this?

I sort of do it for a living. it's common practice today with nutrition advice. Quite a few trainers do it.

I am not nor have I ever used a nutritionist, but I would be shocked if 90% of them weren't the conventional wisdom "low fat/don't eat the yolks/fad diet of the month" type. Vedic can confirm or refute that, but that's the impression I always got.

That would be very true. Most themselves are not in shape and if you ran a blood lipid profile most are not healthy.

I can tell you that first hand from being the executive chef at the University of utah kitchen. I used to go rounds with nutritionist about giving diabetics the wrong things. 99% wouldn't know who Dr. Cordain is if you said his name. Yet he got his PhD there. All depends on the individual and specializations etc.

Read the faqs and studies posted here and figure it out on your own. It's much more satisfying. I do not have any papers stating I am a "Nutritionist" but i'm willing to bet I have a better understanding of it than most of them. I usually use trial and error then compare my ideas with what people like Vedic and other regulars have to say.

That would be very true. Most themselves are not in shape and if you ran a blood lipid profile most are not healthy.

I can tell you that first hand from being the executive chef at the University of utah kitchen. I used to go rounds with nutritionist about giving diabetics the wrong things. 99% wouldn't know who Dr. Cordain is if you said his name. Yet he got his PhD there. All depends on the individual and specializations etc.

HA I am from utah. Anyway, The specialization I think would be key. I wouldnt be looking for a "bodybuilder" type program. More weight loss for fight shape type program. Eat less fat duh what I am concerned with is the timing of it all and what to eat when.

Read the faqs and studies posted here and figure it out on your own. It's much more satisfying. I do not have any papers stating I am a "Nutritionist" but i'm willing to bet I have a better understanding of it than most of them. I usually use trial and error then compare my ideas with what people like Vedic and other regulars have to say.

I feel I have a pretty good understanding of basic nutrition. But it aint working for me so far. I have a consistencey issue with it. I have read the faqs etc.

Consistency and proper macro profiles for exertion levels is key.

No. Not "duh" at all.

I was being sarcastic. I was thinking about Honra's post I pay somebody to teach me muay thai right??? Why not pay for somebody to teach me nutrition??

Same thing right? Read the faq learn to fight!!! I have been paying all this money for no god damn reason!!!

Again sarcasm.

I get the feeling there is more to this than just the faq's.

I was being sarcastic. I was thinking about Honra's post I pay somebody to teach me muay thai right??? Why not pay for somebody to teach me nutrition??

Same thing right? Read the faq learn to fight!!! I have been paying all this money for no god damn reason!!!

Again sarcasm.

I get the feeling there is more to this than just the faq's.

Of course there is more to nutrition than just the FAQs. And if you found someone who could teach all about nutrition in depth that could be a good thing. Nutritionists are often like personal trainers who have you doing one legged squats on swiss balls well juggling kettlebells. Except with food.

Read about nutrition as much as you can. Among other good reads is "In defense of Food" by Michael Pollan (or almost anything else by him). Personally I think a cooking class would do more to improve nutrition than a nutritionist.

I was just talking about this with someone the other day. I'm in and out of a lot of different hospitals and have noticed that on average the nutrionists tend to be fairly overweight. Then again, I have a friend who's a chef at a great restaurant here in town, and he pretty much eats nothing but frozen pizza at home. :icon_chee

Of course there is more to nutrition than just the FAQs. And if you found someone who could teach all about nutrition in depth that could be a good thing. Nutritionists are often like personal trainers who have you doing one legged squats on swiss balls well juggling kettlebells. Except with food.
QUOTE]

If I have a personal trainer that has me do one legged squats on a swiss ball with kettlebells he is fired. Because at that time I will be as functional as possible.

Vedic! How does this work? You write programe for people? Do you fly to my house and make sure I am not eating shit food??:icon_lol:

i dont mean to hijack the thread, but ive always wondered about food allergists. vedic or anyone have some insight on what they do or if they are worth visiting?

i dont mean to hijack the thread, but ive always wondered about food allergists. vedic or anyone have some insight on what they do or if they are worth visiting?

You can tell I am not alergic to food. I like it to much.

Consistency and proper macro profiles for exertion levels is key.

THE truest post ever!!!!

I have used nutritionists in the past everyone has there own style on will tell you more of one thing or the other but the best of the 3 i have worked with for me was shelby starnes he has an understanding of what mma and training is and he can dial you in for a good deal...and for me carb cycling works the best thats why i feel i had the most success with shelby but carb cycling is the in thing lately from what i have seen....

[email protected]

tell him jamie point sent you!!!

I posted an article from Shelby Starnes here; he did drop by to make an apperance after I emailed him, but I have no doubt he's one busy dude right now.

I sort of do it for a living. it's common practice today with nutrition advice. Quite a few trainers do it.

Sounds like an awesome job, i have ideas of pursuing that career path but dont really know how to get started.

I wud guess research some people find out whos good. Havent we got a few people along with Vedic who do this sort of thing?

Back