Useless and useful supplements | Page 3

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by quantiqus, Aug 15, 2017.

1. TidWell Brown Belt

TidWell
    dAA causes inflammation of the muscles and joints, its a false feeling, like with creatine it just inflates your muscles with water making you look swole, but goes away after going off it.

Daa is also,bad for the liver and kidneys i think, but why would anyone take it if it causes inflammation

Might as well,just take trt

2. Hotora86 火虎 空手道

Hotora86
    Some of you guys are walking pharmacies. :p

Magnesium helped me with cramps I had during Judo so I've been taking it ever since. Some cheaper brands don't help tho, gotta find one that works for you.

I take vit D in the winter (since there is less sun) and vit C during flu season - don't get sick as often, which is nice.

Sleep pills that I take are 100% dried herb mix (various plants, can't remember). Makes 5 hrs feel like 8.

Other than that I am often on Ibuprofen due to various injuries acting up from time to time. Used to take Mydocalm when my back problem was more severe but it fucks up the liver. I tried all there is in terms of NSAIDs - Ketonal, Naproxen, Diclofenac, Meloxicam... you name it, I took it. All of them made me feel unpleasant, Aspicam probably the least but still did. Ibuprofen on the other hand cheers me up. I don't know if it has something fishy in it but I'm sticking to it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    I agree. getting so many nutrients in one pill aint gonna work. Ive been told you can pretty much take any form of magnesium (accept for aspartate) and it will pretty much do the trick.

4. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    I started taking the iron bc a little over 2 years ago I made a choice to switch to a fully plant based diet. I had massive acid reflux, I was constipated, just not very healthy for a 30 year old guy (granted, my diet was horrible at the time). So I tried the vegan thing and really like it. Felt great. Felt really good, digestive problems faded, so I stuck with it. I added the iron supplement back then and ive tolerated it just fine. Bloodwork shows my levels are in the sweet spot. I only take it 3 times a week.
    [​IMG]

TidWell likes this.
  5. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Yeah DAA scares the shit out of me. You read all the research on it and it works through some really critical pathways that shouldn't be fucked with. TRT, clomid, arimidex, hCG, or even a basic sup just to make your testes more healthy (N Acetyl cysteine, Vit E, ZMA, tribulus) is a better way to go.

6. quantiqus Green Belt

quantiqus
    From what I know, magnesium oxide is shit, it's not absorbed properly. It's good for constipation, though.

I tried it some some years ago. I was constipated, bloated and all that shit, and, indeed, the digestive problems dissapeared in a few days. The bad part was that I lost a lot of weight (muscle and fat) and I was feeling dizzy. Plus some decrease in libido.

Now I am trying to alternate: a day with meat and eggs, another day with veggies.

7. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    I wonder what was at play with those negative effects you had. Im 33, still 220-230 at 6 ft 2. Granted I eat a ton of calories. I will say. I don't know if I can gain much more muscle mass then I already have while on a vegan diet. But Im gona try. And if I cant, that's cool. Id give it another shot man. If it appeals to you, Im sure you can identify exactly what went wrong.

8. quantiqus Green Belt

quantiqus
    Probably because I only ate mostly veggies, fruits and some potatoes. No grains, no beans - these foods kind of bloat me. And I am a big eater, but I got tired of the same stuff - veggies and fruits.

You can try hemp protein for the muscle mass. Vegan!

9. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Funny thing about the bloating and shit like that. Its only temporary (if u experience it at all). Once your digestive system is on point and used to all the fiber you are good to go. And eating only fruits and veggies is , as im sure u know, a losing strategy. I used quinoa, rice n beans, extra firm tofu, oats, and a whole bunch of other stuff for the bulk of my food.I like hemp but its not the best tasting and relatively expensive.

10. bigraydaddy1 Orange Belt

bigraydaddy1
    What is the best form of magnesium?

11. quantiqus Green Belt

quantiqus
    Glycinate or chelate.
    From what I've heard, it has a much better absorbtion rate.

Also, the Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate. The salt is put in bath water and some people claim that it is better absorbed by the body. Athletes use it.

12. wufabufa Purple Belt

wufabufa
    I use Mag citrate powder. Seems to work for me, but damn it can be sour.

13. TidWell Brown Belt

TidWell
    Good dosing there, you only need to take it 3 times a week tops iron lingers in your system its a metal, I wouldnt take it every day.

Have you tried this supplement blood builder by mega food it has a lot of good user reviews

https://megafood.com/store/en/blood-builder/
    [​IMG]

dsdoubled likes this.
  14. TidWell Brown Belt

TidWell
    Is it safe? Im a fan of all max, it was the only natural whey with no flavor or chemicals that didnt give me any intestine issues.

Will this tribx screw your kidneys and liver up? Im thinking of trying it as a little boost to help give me that libido enhancement again

15. quantiqus Green Belt

quantiqus
    I don't know if I posted this here, about tribulus

https://www.anabolicmen.com/tribulus-terrestris/

What is your argument against eggs?
    Are you fully vegan? Not even on ocassions (Christmas, birthdays)?

16. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Im in favor of any whole food based supplement. And beets, and beet root powder, that's some good shit. I took beet root powder recently for the nitric oxide enhancing benefits. The stuff is for real. It really did what it said it would, and more. I felt really good while taking it the 2 times Ive used it. Odd thing though, if I take it daily for more than a month it gives me heart palpitations (I think). The effects linger for another week or so, I take a month off, and go again. It helps with recovery from workouts, I slept great while on it, my skin looked better. It was a solid supplement. I never took the one you posted though.

TidWell likes this.
  17. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    I did a lot of research before and after using it. It seems safe. And I cant think of any reason it would be harmful to the liver or kidneys. Its one of the only trib products that has a concentration of 90% or more. It worked great for me. Libido and quality wood was for real. I will say this, my T levels were low before I started using it. In the mid 200s. So it took me into the low 500s which is really great but it raised my estrogens a little. Not enough to negate the benefits, and I have a tendency to have elevated estrogens so u may not have that problem. Or, if your T levels are already normal it may or may not work as good as it did for me. But Im confident it will. Its an herb that somehow raises LH. Its quality stuff.

TidWell likes this.
  18. dsdoubled Purple Belt

dsdoubled
    Yeah man fully vegan. Ive cheated about 3 times in 2.5 years. For the most part, I stick to the diet so rigidly bc A. I really like it bc it makes me feel great, and B. bc it helped me so very much in the beginning. As I said earlier, I switched to vegan diet bc I had just awful acid reflux and constipation and felt pretty shitty. It got out of hand, I began to experience anxiety and panic attacks. It was horrible. About a week or 2 after going vegan I had a huge increase in quality of life. Since then I have got into the etical side of things as well and its really pretty astounding how horrible the vast majority of animal food farms operate. Im not one to bash people for not being vegan but I think every person who consumes animal products should do some research into what they are eating and how their food gets to their plate. Earthlings is a documentary on YouTube and it gets into it pretty thoroughly. Its very hard to watch though. As for eggs. I was actually going to keep eggs in my diet when I went vegan for the protein and I figured they were easy to digest. I just ended up not needing them and then I learned about how they are high in sulfur group aminos and are quite acidic on the body. On top of that its a horrible, cruel industry where male chicks are literally birthed, put on a conveyor belt and dropped into a machine that grinds them up. I like being vegan, I don't feel it necessary to cheat often because the food is so damn good. Especially nowadays when there are vegan versions of pretty much every food I used to eat as a meat eater.

19. TidWell Brown Belt

TidWell
    I dont really rely on supps, but i used to drink fresh juiced beet juice at home every other day. I add half a beet, an apple and a carrot and drink it in the morning, other days ill drink a cabbage, apple, carrot and grape juice.

For lunch with my meal ill drink pear, kale, and apple in the vitamix.

One thing i notice after drinking the fresh neet root juice is my urine will have a slight pinkish color and it also gives me better stamina when jogging. And gave me solid boners in the. Or ing.

I havent drank beet juice in a long time, i need to start again.

dsdoubled likes this.
  20. Here is my list of over the counter essentials i try to keep stocked up on.

1. multivitamin
    2. protein powder.
    3. creatine monohydrate. I know there's many variations of creatine, but a simple powder monohydrate is the one that is the most proven in studies. Try to find a brand that uses german Creapure filtration, as it will be much easier on the body.

4. Tongkat ali, with 2% or higher Eurycomanone content. Longjack(tongkat ali) is in most over the counter test boosters, and has been shown in studies to be a safe herbal alternative to TRT. I cannot say enough good things about longjack and i recommend it to every guy over 30 whether you're training or not. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24386995https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24386995

Now, while most test boosters will contain tongkat ali, they're a waste of money. Usually its a form of a blend and doesnt indicate the eurycomanone %. You dont know the dosage in the blend, and they're usually a waste of money. If you get it on its own however, it is phenomenal and your numbers will start to go up.

5. Ashwagandha (indian ginseng). Probably my favorite herbal supplement and very important to regulating cortisol. If you work a stressful job or drink lots of caffeine, your cortisol will be on the high side. If you havent read up on cortisol, I would urge you to do so as it is usually the main thing holding peoples gains back. http://anabolicsecrets.com/gain-muscle/how-cortisol-affects-belly-fat-and-muscle-wasting/

Ashwagandha is great for keeping your cortisol levels balanced, and ive noticed a difference in my mood when im on it. Calmer, less stressed. But it also has a ton of other properties. It helps prevent ulcers, it's an anti-inflammatory, it assists with endurance and has shown to have test boosting properties too.

Scientific Studies on Ashwagandha Adaptogenic / Anti-stress effect
    Aswagandha is compared well withEleutherococcus senticosus(Siberian Ginseng) and Panax Ginseng (Chinese / Korean Ginseng) in its adaptogenic properties, and hence it is popularly known as Indian Ginseng (Singh et al., 2010). The extensive studies on the biological model of animals for the adaptogenic / anti-stress properties of Ashwagandha (Abbas and Singh, 2006; Kalsi et al., 1987; Singh et al., 1976, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1993a,1993b, 2003; (Singh, 1995a, 1995b,2006, 2008) have shown it to be effective in increasing the stamina (physical endurance) and preventing stress induced gastric ulcer, carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) induced hepatotoxicity and mortality. Ashawagandha have similar anti-stress activity in rats (Archana & Namasivayam, 1999). An aqueous suspension of Ashwagandha root was used at 100 mg/kg/oral dosage. The results indicate a significant increase in the plasma corticosterone level, phagocytic index and avidity index in rats subjected to cold swimming stress. In the rats pretreated with the drug, these parameters were near control values and an increase in the swimming time was observed. These results indicate that Withania somnifera used in the crude form is a potent anti-stress agent. The results of above studies lend support to the hypothesis of tonics, vitalizers and rejuvenators of Ayurveda which indicate clinical use of Withania somnifera in the prevention and treatment of many stress induced diseases like arteriosclerosis, premature ageing, arthritis, diabetes, hypertension and malignancy (Singh, 1986, 2005;Singh and Misra, 1993).

i. Effect on swimming performance
    Ashwagandha was shown to increase swimming performance in rats as judged by increase in swimming time during physical endurance test. Ashwagandha's antistress properties have been investigated in all these studies using adult rats were carried out by swimming endurance stress test. Ashwagandha treated animals showed a significant increase in the duration of swimming time as compared to control. The control group of mice swam for a mean time of 385 minutes, whereas the drug-treated animals continued to swim for a mean duration of 740 minutes. Thus, the swimming time was approximately doubled afterWithania somnifera (WS) treatment.

ii. Effect on cortisol and ascorbic acid contents of adrenals
    The cortisol content of adrenals was reduced significantly in animals subjected to 5 h constant swimming as compared to non-swimmer group. Pretreatment with WS prevented reduction of the cortisol content of adrenals. The ascorbic acid content was also reduced significantly after 5 h of swimming as compared to the animal of non-swimmer group. Pretreatment with WS prevent reduction in ascorbic acid content which occurs after swimming stress. Thus, Withania somnifera treatment prevents, decrease of adrenal cortisol and ascorbic acid which occurs due to swimming stress.

iii. Anti-ulcerogenic effect
    Ashwagandha was found to be useful in the prevention of stress-induced ulcers of the gastrointestinal tract (Singh et al. 1982). It showed significant protection against 18 h immobilization, cold + immobilization (4h) and aspirin induced gastric ulcers and lowered the mean ulcer index in rats.

iv. Effect on leucocytosis
    Ashwagandha given to a group of mice with milk injection produced reduction in leucocytosis.

v. Anabolic effects:
    There was a significant increase in the body weights of the Ashwagandha treated group as compared to control for a period of 3 months in rats.

6. Maca/Rhodiola Rosea. Adaptagens just like Ashwagandha, great for cortisol management. If you are strapped for cash, just get ashwagandha since it is the best one, but i like to take all 3.

7. Green tea (try to get one with a high EGCG content, the higher it is the better). Fantastic fat burner, and also regulates your cortisol despite the fact it has a small amount of caffeine in it. Lipton green tea is your best bang for buck when it comes to EGCG.

8. L-carnitine. Amino acid that forces conversion of fat cells into energy. Great if you are trying to drop bodyfat.

9. CLA another part of my cutting essentials, and when taken with l-carnitine and green tea I found it to be effective for cutting.http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040520/cla-weight-loss

----

For Creatine, CLA and L carnitine i like to use the Allmax Nutrition products as they are made in a cgmp facility and very pure. Their creatine monohydrate is made with creapure filtration too. Great company, sells everything in its purest form and doesnt try to trick you with blends. They wont break your bank either.

For tongkat ali, I've tried a few but http://www.poweroftheherb.com/TKAinfo.html has been the best. 2.4% eurycomanone content, one of the highest on the market.