Used car face off: 2015 Jaguar XF vs. 2015 Lexus ES (Winter Driving)

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
The Infinity SUV that I was planning to use as a winter car broke down - (timing belt), and instead of repairing it, the dealer offered me $10k trade in value (which is quite generous considering it is a 2012 with 160,000KM).

I wanted a larger vehicle (full sized sedan or SUV), and the dealer presently has two vehicles in stock that match my budget and were AWD - a 2015 Jaguar XF, and a 2015 Lexus ES. Truthfully, I don't know much about Jaguar - almost nobody drives them where I live. But the original MSRP on the vehicle was $80k, and it has less than 30,000km on it. It is a beautiful car, but I'm a bit worried about maintenance costs and replacement parts.

The Lexus ES is basically a Toyota Avalon, which I actually really like. It is very much a "plain jane" car, that gets you from point A to B in relative comfort. It has about 55,000km on it.

I don't really have a lot of choices at this particular dealership, as most of their stock is brand new and out of my price range (I have a hard budget of $30k (including trade in), as this is my secondary vehicle).

Between those two choices, what would you choose? (or alternatively, should I spend the money and replace the timing belt and do general maintenance on the Infinity)

2015_lexus_es_350_base-pic-6414781003757312331-640x480.jpeg

Jaguar-XF-AWD-2015-main-1.jpg

The Infinity SUV that I was planning to use as a winter car broke down - (timing belt), and instead of repairing it, the dealer offered me $10k trade in value (which is quite generous considering it is a 2012 with 160,000KM).

I wanted a larger vehicle (full sized sedan or SUV), and the dealer presently has two vehicles in stock that match my budget and were AWD - a 2015 Jaguar XF, and a 2015 Lexus ES. Truthfully, I don't know much about Jaguar - almost nobody drives them where I live. But the original MSRP on the vehicle was $80k, and it has less than 30,000km on it. It is a beautiful car, but I'm a bit worried about maintenance costs and replacement parts.

The Lexus ES is basically a Toyota Avalon, which I actually really like. It is very much a "plain jane" car, that gets you from point A to B in relative comfort. It has about 55,000km on it.

I don't really have a lot of choices at this particular dealership, as most of their stock is brand new and out of my price range (I have a hard budget of $30k (including trade in), as this is my secondary vehicle).

Between those two choices, what would you choose? (or alternatively, should I spend the money and replace the timing belt and do general maintenance on the Infinity)

2015_lexus_es_350_base-pic-6414781003757312331-640x480.jpeg

Jaguar-XF-AWD-2015-main-1.jpg
Get the Lexus. Jags are notorious for having maintenance problems.

I had an ES. No real mystery there. Will not give you any trouble at all and decently comfortable. Also the sound system on them is good if ur not one of those I NEED MORE BASS people.

Why wouldn't you get the timing belt replaced? Did the belt go when you were driving and you ruined the engine?

they're both trash and worthless in snow. Get a 4Runner or Wrangler.

Why wouldn't you get the timing belt replaced? Did the belt go when you were driving and you ruined the engine?

No, apparently the repair is only about $400, but I'm not particularly fond of the vehicle. I bought it late last year when I purchased my Camaro (which wouldn't make it through a Canadian winter). Despite being an SUV, it handles terribly in snow, and it had terrible fuel efficiency.

they're both trash and worthless in snow. Get a 4Runner or Wrangler.

I need a car low enough for my elderly parents to take them to doctors appointments etc. I wanted a Tundra initially, but even with the step, they couldn't get in. My original car (2012 Ford Escape), was also too high for my mom to get in, so I need something that is a Camry height or less.

I've owned two jags. Get the lexus.

Or buy a hyundai genesis 5.0 for a better value

I need a car low enough for my elderly parents to take them to doctors appointments etc. I wanted a Tundra initially, but even with the step, they couldn't get in. My original car (2012 Ford Escape), was also too high for my mom to get in, so I need something that is a Camry height or less.
wow, usually elderly people prefer suv height so they don't have to crouch down to get in.

A Jag?

You might as well get behind the wheel of a go cart assembled by third graders.

Lexus easy. You'll buy two jags in maintenance

Thanks for the tips everyone - it looks like it is the Lexus ES for me. Works out to $28K Canadian, minus value of trade in.

I don't know much about Jaguars other than it is one of the only cars domestically manufactured in Britain (and it is supposed to be high end). The dealership had a numbe of F-Types, and holy shit those cars are beautiful. I didn't bother test driving them though, as owning one is a fantasy.

It's crazy to see how much "high end" cars depreciate after a couple of years. They had a 2013 Masseratie Quatro Pro Sport for $35,000 - which apparently had a $120,000 sticker price brand new.

wow, usually elderly people prefer suv height so they don't have to crouch down to get in.

My mom has hip problems, so she can only elevate her leg so high.

Both of my parents are in their 70s, and I have to assume most of the responsibility of trucking them to appointments, doing groceries etc.

My mom has hip problems, so she can only elevate her leg so high.

Both of my parents are in their 70s, and I have to assume most of the responsibility of trucking them to appointments, doing groceries etc.
Good lad.

Of the available choices the Lexus is the best if you actually want to avoid getting stranded in the winter.

Back