USDA Gestapo Confiscates Raw Milk

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by superking, Dec 10, 2010.

1. superking Brown Belt

superking
    I don't know how many of you's know how drop-point deliveries for raw milk work.

Essentially a dairy farm trucks in raw milk -- based on customer orders usually submitted via an HTML form on their website or e-mail -- to a mutually agreed upon drop point where the customers are waiting. The milk is paid for at the time of delivery.

This is all very clandestine and hush-hush. I'm not interested in arguing the legality of such a practice. If I was, I would've posted this in the War Room.

Just kinda giving people a heads up. I didn't know the USDA had field agents with the authority to confiscate personal property.

2. dropshot001 Red Belt

dropshot001
    The usda is such a joke. Raw milk is safe and is being treated as if it was absurdly dangerous. The fact that they waste their time and money on stopping something as innocuous as raw milk is pathetic

3. Blackice Orange Belt

Blackice
    They'll probably take that milk home to their families and drink it themselves.

4. Revok Brown Belt

Revok
    Bizarre. UK governments have long excelled at legislative absurdities akin to this, but surprisingly raw milk can still be bought here (or, in England at least), albeit with a few stipulations - it's got to be sold either on or very close to the production site, there are warning labels, regular checks on microbe levels, etc. I think after mad cow disease there isn't much public appetite for it anyway. I wouldn't drink it on a dare.

What are purported to be the pros of raw milk consumption?

5. superking Brown Belt

superking
    The laws regarding the sale of raw milk here in the USA differs from state to state, sometimes even county to county.

Where I'm from in Pennsylvania, raw milk must be sold on the premises of a state-certified raw dairy farm. That means the dairy farm can't ship it to grocery stores, convenience stores, farmer's markets, the drop-points I've mentioned above, etc.

The closest state-certified farm to me is roughly 30 minutes away. But for others around the state or even my county, these drop-points are all they have.

Revok, here's a site where you can find more information on raw milk: A CAMPAIGN FOR REAL (RAW) MILK!

6. scottm Green Belt

scottm
    Bastards.

7. ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

ss4vegeta1
    Right on... who the fuck do those people think they are taking raw milk away. I swear to God I'd rather starve than live off a western corporate driven diet. Go raw milk.

8. Revok Brown Belt

Revok
    They're your government (assuming you're American). Seriously, ranting at the guy doing his job or complaining about it on the internet doesn't count as democratic participation. Advocate for change.

9. dropshot001 Red Belt

dropshot001
    you're absolutely correct. it's important to stay on top of laws as they get proposed to make sure that no silly stuff gets through

10. Bernardo Fanti Amateur Fighter

Bernardo Fanti
    The guy doing his job has a choice.
    He can make the choice to numbly do his job independently of moral implications, or he can make the choice to think, use logical reasoning, even human compassion. USDA agents chose their job, and a lot of them do it for a reason - they enjoy the power, morally right or wrong. As do cops.

11. Revok Brown Belt

Revok
    That's not a sensible means of reforming an institution. Say you do argue, insult, beg or bargain with this guy all day, and somehow manage to persuade him to abandon his livelihood for the sake of your point. His moral choice gets him fired. Tomorrow, someone worse will be working his job, and you, the victim, are back to square one. There are always more guys willing to do the job than you've got time, energy and wherewithal to argue down.

It's the law that needs reforming, not the poor sap charged with carrying it out. I'm sure this fellow would much rather be stopping imports of poisoned baby formula from China than copping abuse from irate Minnesotan farm folk.

Figure out who in power is responsible for this silly law and advocate for a return to common sense. A handwritten letter to your political representative is a hell of a lot more influential than hassling a hundred government lackeys.

12. dropshot001 Red Belt

dropshot001
    you have a choice in anything you do, that's obvious. the guy did have a choice to disobey what he was told but that would come at losing his job and not being able to support his family and children (assuming he had these).....i don't think his moral objections are stronger than his obligations to them

13. Bernardo Fanti Amateur Fighter

Bernardo Fanti
    ^^ I agree with both of you. It's the law that needs to be reformed, obviously. Yet it's frustrating just how hard it is and how long it takes to reform the law even with large backing from the population. It's frustrating how much the government wants to tell you what's good or bad for you, and we're at a point where it's not just about reforming this specific law, but about reforming the government in general to avoid further "we're doing it for your good" kind of arguments from lawmakers. On top of all this, it's *still* frustrating to see a (sometimes) power-hungry USDA agent enforce ridiculous laws and once emotions break out it's easy to attack him personally.

14. zere0wn Green Belt

zere0wn
    Lets take action. How do we get this law repealed?

15. shootermcgavin7 Blue Belt

shootermcgavin7
    By spending more money on lobbyists than the large agricultural firms do.

Honestly, given how few people around care about what they are putting into their bodies as long as it is cheap (in terms of directly observable costs)....... I am not sure you could drum up enough support to get the majority of people to care.

16. dropshot001 Red Belt

dropshot001
    the best thing that we can do is to be active to make sure that new laws that favor the big companies aren't passed

17. Revok Brown Belt

Revok
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    - some smart bird.

18. zere0wn Green Belt

zere0wn
    I disagree with this, votes get people into office. If enough people make enough noise and threaten politicians will (hopefully) listen. Just gotta get enough people and know where and how to direct energy.

19. shootermcgavin7 Blue Belt

shootermcgavin7
    Votes do get people into office. And the vast majority of people don't care about what they are eating. Along as it is cheap (up front).

And campaign/lobbying cash equals votes. The more slanderous tv ads you can buy trashing your opponent.

20. Guess what, raw milk is illegal because it's dangerous and they decided to cook your milk before selling it to you, because you can't be trusted to do it on your own. Deal with it.